Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/15/2018, 06:43 PM   #1
LadyV
Registered Member

Newbie in need of advice

Hey all, Teresa here, I’m new to the reefkeeping scene and am in need of some pointers, advice, otherwise known as HELP. Started up my aquarium in Jan (great Christmas gift) and truthfully I am having a blast. I love this hobby. I’m a retired RN by trade and so a lil obsessive about cleanliness in my tank. Things have been going great thus far and I have learned a lot by reading and researching. My tank has been going through all the normal stuff a beginner tank goes thru to include the dreaded Cyanobacteria stage. In fact I’ve been dealing with this bugger since mid June. I’ve treated with Chemiclean 5x so far. The first time was great, every subsequent treatment seemed to be less effective. The last treatment nothing....now mind you I have folowed the directions to the letter has advised by all so I don’t think that is the issue. At this point the only thing I can find is maybe I’m doing too much treatment and massive water changes. My water parameters have always been really good for a beginner tank. I’m at a loss, what is the problem and why the cyano won’t move on. Oh yeah feeding is one my sis cube daily with spirulina pellets

Sal. 1.026, temp 78, pH 8.4, NO2 0, NH3 0,Alk 8.9, NO3 5ppm, phos 0.00 Hanna checker, Ca+ 400

Critters
Diamond goby
Hawkfish
2 chromis
Midas blenny
Lawnmower blenny
Fairy wrasse
3 firefish
Yellow tang
2 clownfish
Scooter blenny
3 turbo snails
4 hermit crabs
2 tiger conchs

Corals - pulsing Xenia, frogspawn, brain coral, 2 Duncan’s, blue cespitularia,Pom Pom Xenia, green acropora, flowerpot, torch, green star polyp

Tank info-Jan 2018 started my Red Sea Reefer 425 XL. 112 gal mixed reef, 90 gal sump, red octopus protein skimmer, dual reactor gfo and carbon, hydra 26 lighting system, Vortec MP40 wavemaker

LadyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/15/2018, 07:01 PM   #2
Uncle99
Crab Free Zone

What's the TDS of water being made?

Uncle99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/15/2018, 07:38 PM   #3
LadyV
Registered Member

What's the TDS of water being made?

Thanks for asking. I forgot to mention I make my own water using the BRS 6stage RO/DI and HW Marine Salt.

Unread 08/15/2018, 08:04 PM   #4
lapin
Registered Member

Hi and welcome
I think what you have done is rid your tank of any cyano that chemclean kills. You now have a chemclean resistant strain. You have also killed off any organisms that would compete with the cyano for nutrients. Normally it goes away on its own when other algaes take over. I would stop adding chemicals. I notice your po4 is 0. Things need it to grow. I would stop with the GFO or reduce the amount in the reactor and see if the po4 goes up. If you have some way of growing a macro algae like chaeto in the sump or fuge. This would compete for nutrients and maybe your cyano will go away. In the mean time siphoning it out when doing water changes is what I would do.

Current Tank Info: Interior decorating happening

Last edited by lapin; 08/15/2018 at 08:13 PM.
lapin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/16/2018, 04:45 AM   #5
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Stop chemiclean.. Stop GFO... Stop obsessive cleaning.
Siphon out as much of the cyano as you can with water changes (20% every 2 weeks)..
Turn lights off for 3 days at a time every other week..

Let tank recover from the over treatment..

Status report in a month

Unread 08/16/2018, 06:23 AM   #6
BruceWayne
Registered Member

Agree stop chemi clean, will get rid of the problem temporarily but if you don’t get to the real problem it will be a bandaid fix great advice Mcgyvr

BruceWayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/16/2018, 08:44 AM   #7
rvareef
In Memoriam

chemiclean 5 times!?!? might have super cyano now from using too much antibiotics

rvareef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/16/2018, 02:22 PM   #8
hkgar
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgyvr View Post
Stop chemiclean.. Stop GFO... Stop obsessive cleaning.
Siphon out as much of the cyano as you can with water changes (20% every 2 weeks)..
Turn lights off for 3 days at a time every other week..

Let tank recover from the over treatment..

Status report in a month
+1
When I have done
3 day lights out I actually go black out and wrap the tank to shield all light.

Nothing suffers and the Cyano is gone.

180 gallon, 40 gallon sump, 3 250 W MH + 4 80W ATI T5's, MTC MVX 36 Skimmer, Apex controller Aquamaxx T-3 CaRx

Current Tank Info: A 2 Barred Rabbitfish, Red Head Salon, Yellow/Purple, McMaster Fairy, Possum, 2 Leopard Wrasses, Kole, & Atlantic Blue Tangs, 2 Percula Clown, 3 PJ and 1 Banggai Cardinalfish , Swallowtail, Bellus and Coral Beauty Angels
hkgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/16/2018, 03:55 PM   #9
LadyV
Registered Member

Thanks for the great advice you guys I will follow your guidance and report back in a month. Appreciate it.