Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/08/2017, 06:31 PM   #1
mossimo654
Registered Member

Help! My flasher wrasse is getting infections possibly due to bullying

Hi all,

I have a 55g tank. I have a flasher wrasse and a melanurus wrasse. I did the right thing and added my melanurus after the flasher because I know they can be occasionally aggressive even though I read it's unlikely.

For the first few months there were no issues, with the flasher even occasionally defending territory by chasing the melanurus.

However I moved a few months ago and thus my rockwork and tank were changed. Since then the Melanurus has become the dominant one, chasing my flasher. Initially I thought it wasn't that big of a deal since the flasher is faster and is eating, not hiding at all etc.

However a month and a half ago the flasher developed Popeye, was lethargic etc. I thought I might lose him. Fortunately after a few days he healed up and completely returned to normal.

However two days ago I noticed the flasher started to again develop Popeye. It is only slightly bulged and hasn't gotten noticeably worse, though not better. He's still eating and swimming normallly.

Today however I noticed he is missing scales in two places. I'm having a hard time getting a pic but will send one if I do. There's a white patch on his head near the affected eye, and a very small white patch on his dorsal fin. I'm pretty positive it's not ich.

Anyway I'm guessing these incidents are related to the Melanurus. My water quality is good, and I have a few other fish that show no signs of infection.

My question: what do I do about this? I like the Melanurus a lot and I'm hoping the answer is not getting rid of him, but it seems like he's the most logical culprit unless anyone has any other ideas.

mossimo654 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/08/2017, 06:47 PM   #2
mossimo654
Registered Member

Update: literally as I'm observing and trying to get a pic I watch the melanurus strike the flasher and I'm pretty sure actually see a scale float away. ***. Is it time to give him away?

mossimo654 is offline   Reply With Quote