Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/01/2018, 06:44 AM   #1
TxAggie08
Registered Member

Baffles less solution for sump/skimmer

I inherited a bit of a mess. Got a killer deal on a used 75 gallon 3ft acrylic tank tank with....well with almost everything I need (still need an ato). Only downside, it came with corals and fish I do not want to kill. The whole thing is a bit jumbled, and it had been taken down, was being sustained in tubs, and the tank still needs a bit of work.

I cracked the 40b sump it came with! I'm stuck with a couple of choices atm. I can take the other 40b I have here, remove the old acrylic baffles from the broken sump (which I dislike), and try to get them installed in the new 40b, or I can find a solution to maintain skimmer water height, and run the 40 breeder as a baffles less sump while I decide on either buying a pre-built, or more likely acquire another 40b, and build it out with proper glass baffles. The stand is built quite ingeniously, so removal is not an issue.

My though was to find a plastic/acrylic/glass box with enough room to house my skimmer, and using it to create a skimmer "chamber" sitting in said sump. It would be pump fed(the main return is sufficient to tap and feed it), and short of a power failure would maintain its water level I would think. A simple open sponge or filter sock on the overflow SHOULD eliminate a great deal of the bubble issue.

Any thoughts? I would prefer to get the tank filled to its proper height and running asap, and get the skimmer working properly asap, several of these corals appear to be save able. The sump would be replaced in a few weeks with the right equipment.

Thanks, kyndal

TxAggie08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/01/2018, 07:11 AM   #2
THEUNION1
Registered Member

Well, people run filterless systems so having just a skimmer should be fine for a few weeks.

THEUNION1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/01/2018, 08:51 AM   #3
mcgyvr
Registered Member

yes you can certainly have a successful tank without a skimmer..
I would just take your time and get everything how you would ultimately like it and not take shortcuts you might not be able to reverse later..

Its very easy though to just get something to act as a base to raise the skimmer up for now if you want though... Or just don't worry about it for now while you get a proper sump setup..

Unread 01/01/2018, 10:19 AM   #4
TxAggie08
Registered Member

Ii was more concerned with my skimmer In a box concept, and if we thought that might work

Unread 01/01/2018, 07:03 PM   #5
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxAggie08 View Post
Ii was more concerned with my skimmer In a box concept, and if we thought that might work
Not really sure why you would put it into a box vs raising it via a box/shelf in the sump..
But yes you could certainly put it into a box as long as you are getting water in/out of it

Unread 01/02/2018, 05:16 AM   #6
TxAggie08
Registered Member

My experience in years past has been that fluctuations in water level can cause serious issues with skimmers. This sump has no baffles, so it would not have a constant water level around it. I ended up configuring it as I described above tonight, actually worked very well.

Unread 01/04/2018, 08:14 PM   #7
McPuff
Registered Member

I don't have baffles in my sump and have zero issues with fluctuating water levels. Just make sure to have an ATO installed. I've got the Tunze Osmolator and the water level fluctuates by 1/8" at maximum. The skimmer is highly consistent in performance. You have to also make sure to keep the air line clear of salt to actually achieve this peak performance though (probably an obvious point).

McPuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/05/2018, 03:15 PM   #8
ruiny
Registered Member

My sump has no baffles.
10 years like this. No problem.

Current Tank Info: 93 mixed reef
ruiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/05/2018, 07:19 PM   #9
Benar
Registered Member

The box methods fine, done it before. How about having your drain line(s) fed directly into the box section to save having to pump feed it & the issues that come with that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Benar is offline   Reply With Quote