Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Old 07/16/2019, 09:14 AM   #151
CoralsAddiction
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoralsAddiction View Post
One of the fish stores in Orange County has these on a special for $39.99 all the time. Too bad my tank has no sand. They are pretty.
Quote:
If your LFS gets stuff from Pacific Aqua Farms they had quite a few of these jawfish in stock yesterday.
I remember when they were $40 retail.

CoralsAddiction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/16/2019, 09:30 AM   #152
ThRoewer
Registered Member

Quote:
I remember when they were $40 retail.
Not anymore. Now it's $150.
Given that and the rather spotty supply from Mexico it's time to get these guys captive bred.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Current Tank Info: 200 gal 4 tank system (40x28x24 + 40B + 40B sump tank + 20g refugium) + 30x18x18 mixed reef + 20g East Pacific biotop + 20g FW +...
ThRoewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/16/2019, 07:28 PM   #153
ThRoewer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alton View Post
When KP started selling juveniles I asked what was the benefit and they told me that since they where not developed they still could change sexes. I watched a video once of someone that had hatched and then was able to raise them to maturity. Each one had their burrow about 6" from the other. It was neat to watch a bunch of them in a tank together. ...
Juvenile BSJ or Yellow Heads?

Current Tank Info: 200 gal 4 tank system (40x28x24 + 40B + 40B sump tank + 20g refugium) + 30x18x18 mixed reef + 20g East Pacific biotop + 20g FW +...
Old 07/17/2019, 04:59 AM   #154
alton
Registered Member

KP only sells what they collect most of the time which is yellow heads. They are better looking than their Pearly cousins from the Caribbean Islands. It would be very nice if someone could start raising BSJF babies, many have tried hopefully someone figures it out

alton is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07/17/2019, 05:37 AM   #155
OrionN
Anemones

I thought that Yellowhead Jawfish is a synonym of Pearly Jawfish.

My homepage is my album here at Reef Central

Current Tank Info: Reboot 320 anemones reef. Angels: Yellow Chest Regal(2), Flame (2). Copperband But. Tangs: Yellow, Purple. Wrasse: about 20 wrasses various species. Anemones: Giantea X4 (Breen, Blue, Purple and Multicolors), Haddoni X1 Red, Magnifica X1 Purpletip
OrionN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/17/2019, 11:06 AM   #156
ThRoewer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrionN View Post
I thought that Yellowhead Jawfish is a synonym of Pearly Jawfish.
It is.

Old 07/17/2019, 06:33 PM   #157
ThRoewer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alton View Post
KP only sells what they collect most of the time which is yellow heads. They are better looking than their Pearly cousins from the Caribbean Islands. It would be very nice if someone could start raising BSJF babies, many have tried hopefully someone figures it out
Yellow Head Jawfish (O. aurifons) forming pairs that share a burrow is actually atypical for jawfish. All other jawfish I know of live alone in their own burrows with often significant distance between males and females. So I would be hesitant to transfer sex change observations on Yellow Heads straight to other jawfish.

As for breeding BSJ - I don't think their larva are any harder to raise than those of other jawfish. I definitely plan on trying. I got O. randalli to 2 weeks, close to settling down and only failed because I ran out of pods and had to use brine shrimp (which ultimately killed them).

Old 07/23/2019, 11:27 PM   #158
ThRoewer
Registered Member

All 3 are still alive and get kind of along. The last one has been banned to a corner near the one of the larger he was fighting with and it seems that they found an agreement. Before they were fighting a little, but aside from a bloody lip on the bigger one no permanent damage was done.
Now it's basically down to the larger one threatening the newcomer. During those displays of superiority the larger one sometimes displays a color scheme close to that of flashing males. So I may very well have two males now.
The brighter colored one of the first larger two is definitely a female and she keeps her distance from the two "males".

I hope I will be done soon with "remodeling" the fish-room so that I can give them a larger tank.

Old 08/01/2019, 06:25 PM   #159
ThRoewer
Registered Member

Judging by their behavior I'm now fairly certain that I have two females (the two larger ones) and one male (the smaller one I added later). At this point the small one is certainly the dominant one.

Old 08/12/2019, 01:30 PM   #160
Chasmodes
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThRoewer View Post
At this point the small one is certainly the dominant one.
Very interesting.

--Kevin Wilson

Current Tank Info: 101g 3'X3'X18" Cubish Oyster Reef Blenny tank, 36"X17"X18" sump
Chasmodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/12/2019, 03:01 PM   #161
ThRoewer
Registered Member

So far they haven't killed each other and despite the usual burrow swapping they kind of get along now.
The brighter colored one of the three is definitely a female and not much involved in the squabbling of the other two.
But with the darker colored two I'm still not sure if they are male or female. The fact that they haven't killed each other yet kind of speaks against both of them being males...
I guess only time will tell.

Old Today, 01:00 AM   #162
ThRoewer
Registered Member

So, the one I initially thought to be the female is definitely a male. He shows by now the distinct mating coloration.
The one I originally thought to be the male is a female, her fat belly is pretty conclusive.
Only about the smaller one I added later I'm not sure yet. He shows a coloration that is very close to the male mating coloration and is also acting like a male. The only confusing thing is that he by now gets along fairly well with the large male.