Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/09/2016, 03:22 PM   #101
ThRoewer
Registered Member

How far are those guys apart from each other?
Did you ever noticed that they swap burrows? That's the trouble I have with my two, likely because the female is larger than the male.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Current Tank Info: 200 gal 4 tank system (40x28x24 + 40B + 40B sump tank + 20g refugium) + 30x18x18 mixed reef + 20g East Pacific biotop + 20g FW +...
ThRoewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/09/2016, 08:11 PM   #102
Chad Vossen
Registered Member

They started out spread out, but in the beginning they would steal burrows. This is what caused them to all end up in the same corner. After getting it's burrow stolen, it would just start a new burrow 10 inches away. They have stabilized finally, however I have seen them accidentally dive into the wrong hole, which results in some arguing.

Here's one that I suspect is a female. Also my most active digger of the 3.

Current Tank Info: just a bunch of fish :)
Chad Vossen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/10/2016, 01:49 AM   #103
ThRoewer
Registered Member

Yes, that's a gravid female.

Current Tank Info: 200 gal 4 tank system (40x28x24 + 40B + 40B sump tank + 20g refugium) + 30x18x18 mixed reef + 20g East Pacific biotop + 20g FW +...
Unread 11/15/2016, 03:17 PM   #104
Chad Vossen
Registered Member

Gotta share a jawfish feeding video.

Current Tank Info: just a bunch of fish :)
Chad Vossen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/15/2016, 04:22 PM   #105
CoralsAddiction
Registered Member

Have they been raised in captivity on a larger commercial scale?

CoralsAddiction is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/15/2016, 05:58 PM   #106
ThRoewer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoralsAddiction View Post
Have they been raised in captivity on a larger commercial scale?
Not that I know of.

Unread 03/15/2017, 01:53 AM   #107
ThRoewer
Registered Member

My two are still alive despite a serious deal of neglect (feeding only once in a while - 1 to 2 times a week). Once acclimated these guys are really hardy.
But I have more and more doubts that they actually like cooler water. During the colder months when the tank temperatures dropped to 16 °C they basically hibernated - closed their burrows for days and hardly ever came out. And now that it is warmer again they are out all day. The temperature range I've had them so far was from 16 °C to 30 °C.
But while they can handle lower temperatures (my pipefish and the Eyebrow blennies couldn't) they clearly prefer it warmer. At the higher end they actually did very well.

My next project is to upgrade them to a taller tank - one thing they clearly want is at least 4" of gravel.

Unread 03/15/2017, 06:42 AM   #108
alton
Registered Member

Glad yours are doing well. Mine is happy go lucky, I think the 75 degrees F is a big plus. I believe I lost my first one in my office to the dreaded white disease due to having MH lighting at the time and my tank getting over 80 in the summer?

alton is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/15/2017, 03:56 PM   #109
ThRoewer
Registered Member

The one thing I find interesting with my two is that the male is now always in mating coloration. It started when I dropped the salinity for ich treatment.
I still haven't bought the salinity all the way back up yet so the coloration may have to do with that.
If this is not just an individual quirk of my male but rather a general reaction to low salinity then it might be a good way to sex them.

Unread 03/15/2017, 05:40 PM   #110
Blue spot
Registered Member

Hi th realy enjoyed reading your thread and full of great information . Trying to keep blue spots myself in a reef environment, had some success and some failures so found your experience realy helpful . Cheers

Blue spot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/15/2017, 08:37 PM   #111
chris8232
Registered Member

Five months,keep @ 76°, gobbles up large krill and lfr. Mouths any fish by the burrow besides the clowns. What do you think male or female?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

chris8232 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/15/2017, 10:13 PM   #112
ThRoewer
Registered Member

I would say it's a male. Females are darker in the front.

Unread 03/16/2017, 03:44 AM   #113
chris8232
Registered Member

Thanks definitely my favorite fish buy

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

chris8232 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/16/2017, 09:48 AM   #114
RAJOD
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThRoewer View Post
I gave it another shot with Blue Spot Jawfish (LA had a killer 42% off deal on them)

My first 2 attempts failed:

First two from LFS: male died of BSJD, female jumped into the quarter sized opening of a EHEIM surface skimmer while in antibiotics treatment.

Second two from LiveAquaria: both died hours after I got them.

You are throwing your money out the window. There is somethign wrong with your tank that you have to treat it. Start off with cheaper jawfish, and see if you can get it to live.

You need to have prestine water parameters. Get that tank in order before send more fish to the toilet.

Third two from LiveAquaria: Looking good so far. They arrived without any visible symptoms of disease. Also, from the looks of it, it seems LA (QM actually) got it right with picking a male and a female by my instructions. So far no aggression.
Despite enough space in the QT and initially taking shelter in another prebuild burrow, the smaller one (female) decided to move and build her burrow underneath the (small) rock where the large one (male) made his burrow and seemingly he didn't mind it.

Now it's to hope that they don't get sick ... or would it be better to dose the tank with CP prophylactically?

Current Tank Info: 330 Gallon ATM
RAJOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/23/2017, 04:45 PM   #115
fisk and chips
Registered Member

By far my favorite fish!!

fisk and chips is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/24/2017, 01:30 AM   #116
ThRoewer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAJOD View Post
You are throwing your money out the window. There is somethign wrong with your tank that you have to treat it. Start off with cheaper jawfish, and see if you can get it to live.

You need to have prestine water parameters. Get that tank in order before send more fish to the toilet.
It was never an issue with the tank or water parameters but rather with the fish already being sick when I got them.
The issue with these is how they are treated during capture, transport and at the wholesalers. Usually the damage is done there.
Once acclimated these guys are as hardy as it gets. My last two are still around and doing well.

And while these guys tolerate cooler water they don't seem to like it much. During the winter months when the tank was at around 16 °C they stayed in their closed-off burrows all day and didn't even come out for food. Now that it's getting warmer they have become more active again. On the other hand they handled 30 °C last fall just fine.

Unread 04/24/2017, 01:50 AM   #117
RAJOD
Registered Member

Quote:
It was never an issue with the tank or water parameters but rather with the fish already being sick when I got them.
The issue with these is how they are treated during capture, transport and at the wholesalers. Usually the damage is done there.
Once acclimated these guys are as hardy as it gets. My last two are still around and doing well.

And while these guys tolerate cooler water they don't seem to like it much. During the winter months when the tank was at around 16 °C they stayed in their closed-off burrows all day and didn't even come out for food. Now that it's getting warmer they have become more active again. On the other hand they handled 30 °C last fall just fine.
I hope the new ones live. How long you had them in the tank?

I only buy from a in town dealer not online. Then you take more of risk.
Find one that has been in the store for awhile then you have an idea if its sick or not. Did you get a full refund on the sick ones?

Current Tank Info: 330 Gallon ATM
RAJOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/24/2017, 03:01 AM   #118
ThRoewer
Registered Member

I got them since last March, so over a year now.
The first ones were bought at a store here but I only noticed that they were sick when I got them home under better light. No refund for those.
The ones I got first from LA arrived in such bad shape that they didn't even last 8 hours. For those I got a full refund.
My current two also came from LA and arrived healthy.

Unread 04/27/2017, 08:15 PM   #119
KingOfAll_Tyrants
Registered Member

Thanks, all for this thread. I'm thinking of keeping one or another species of jawfish, and have a housekeeping question- how do you do your sandbeds? Usually on the net people recommend very fine oolitic sand for a DSB (at least after the first inch or two), but that thin sand reportedly does't work well for jawfish's dens. I also notice, in many photos and videos as well as writeups, that they like playing with rock rubble, shells and the like, and it seems that whatever you make the sandbed out of you should put a good amount of those on top.

What size sand do you use? Do you mix sizes, and if so what formula? Finally, how do you keep it clean/keep away dead zones (if you do so at all)?

Current Tank Info: In planning stages. Kessil 360we, eshopps rs-75 sump
KingOfAll_Tyrants is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/28/2017, 01:05 AM   #120
ThRoewer
Registered Member

The jawfish tank is my most neglected tank - and the cleanest. The fish, pods and bacteria do all the work. The tank has a skimmer, but it hardly skims anything.

As for the sand bed, you want to place a few rocks (Real Reef Live Rock is pretty good for this but regular live rock or even halved ceramic flowerpots are fine) on the ground to give the fish some caves to dig out. Then you fill in the gravel and sand.
1/4 to 1/3 should be extra coarse coral gravel (basically broken and rounded off coral sticks). This is what they need to build their burrow walls.
The rest should be to roughly equal parts coarse, medium and fairly fine (don't use very fine) coral/aragonite sand.
Mix the coral gravel, coarse and medium sand and fill it between the rocks. Add the fine sand on top. The fish will remodel the sand anyway and ultimately the fine sand gets to the bottom, but I found it to work well this way.
If you have you can also add some shells or extra large pebbles. The fish like to use those as lids for their burrows.

Unread 04/28/2017, 05:45 AM   #121
alton
Registered Member

THRoewer glad yours are doing well. Mine is the most laid back BSJ I have ever owned, after he/she built their home last year , they have never moved. Just watches me work at my desk all day long. KOA Tyrants on substrates I like Carbsea Seafor Super Reef mixed with Small Aruba Puka Shell. If you decide to go with Pearly/Yellow heads order a pair from KP Aquatics https://www.kpaquatics.com/product-c...-fish/jawfish/
Do not order the imported ones. If you go with BSJF get the small to medium.

Unread 04/28/2017, 12:13 PM   #122
ThRoewer
Registered Member

The most interesting thing with my two is that the male is now constantly in mating coloration.

Unread 04/28/2017, 01:59 PM   #123
alton
Registered Member

Yea I miss my flashing male

Unread 04/28/2017, 04:17 PM   #124
ThRoewer
Registered Member

Mine looks like a plucked chicken with a seemingly permanent split in his dorsal fin after the female gave him a beating. Now that he has caught up in size they seem to get along. The one lesson learned from this is to make sure that the male is larger than the female(s).

Unread 04/29/2017, 02:52 PM   #125
KingOfAll_Tyrants
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alton View Post
KOA Tyrants on substrates I like Carbsea Seafor Super Reef mixed with Small Aruba Puka Shell. If you decide to go with Pearly/Yellow heads order a pair from KP Aquatics https://www.kpaquatics.com/product-c...-fish/jawfish/
Do not order the imported ones. If you go with BSJF get the small to medium.
Quote:
The jawfish tank is my most neglected tank - and the cleanest. The fish, pods and bacteria do all the work. The tank has a skimmer, but it hardly skims anything.

As for the sand bed, you want to place a few rocks (Real Reef Live Rock is pretty good for this but regular live rock or even halved ceramic flowerpots are fine) on the ground to give the fish some caves to dig out. Then you fill in the gravel and sand.

1/4 to 1/3 should be extra coarse coral gravel (basically broken and rounded off coral sticks). This is what they need to build their burrow walls.
The rest should be to roughly equal parts coarse, medium and fairly fine (don't use very fine) coral/aragonite sand.
Mix the coral gravel, coarse and medium sand and fill it between the rocks. Add the fine sand on top. The fish will remodel the sand anyway and ultimately the fine sand gets to the bottom, but I found it to work well this way.
If you have you can also add some shells or extra large pebbles. The fish like to use those as lids for their burrows.
Thanks, folks. Both of those formulas look good. The Caribsea Small Aruba Puka Shells (AKA Bag O'Shells) looks like a particularly awesome touch. I may use those, or if I get my Live Rock from Tampa Bay Saltwater , KP Aquatics or ARC reefs I may just order an appropriate live sand. (each company is in the Pearly's natural range, and TBS' looks pretty darn coarse, with rubble and shells. Though I'd need to add some cave-y LR, and probably would add some additional rock rubble, a small Bag O'Shells, and maybe a bit of extra really fine sand, depending on the consistency of what I get).

If I put the jawfish in a 20 gallon (or an equivalent 24X12" space in a larger tank), I'll need about 45lbs of sand for a 4" DSB according to the marine depot calculator; 105 if I use a 40 breeder or 36X18" space.

Yes, alton, if I got a pearly KP is definitely the place. Nothing better than getting the fish straight from the collector.... Especially since I live in an Eastern US metropolitan area - all this stuff from Florida could leave the shop at lunch time and I could pick it up by the time work's over.

Current Tank Info: In planning stages. Kessil 360we, eshopps rs-75 sump

Last edited by KingOfAll_Tyrants; 04/29/2017 at 02:58 PM.
KingOfAll_Tyrants is offline   Reply With Quote