Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Invert and Plant Forums > Tridacnid Clams and other Mollusks
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/17/2018, 05:55 AM   #1
krs1102
Registered Member

Clam Placement Question

So, most clams have a placement near the bottom of the tank (according to the LiveAquaria website guidelines). I'm curious as to whether there are any that would do ok near the top (say on the top of a live rock mountain). Is there a risk of clams moving and falling from that?

I'd like to place a clam on the side of my tank with my Duncan and Blastos, but, since those are lower light and the clam is obviously not a lower light species, I'm trying to figure out what my options are.

Thanks for any info.

krs1102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/17/2018, 07:11 AM   #2
theschwenkster
Registered Member

Crocea and maxima both attach to rocks nicely. You may need to use something to keep them from falling initially or allow them to attack to a rock while on the sane and then glue that to the structure.

You will certainly need a ton of light for either, 300+ par IMO. They would be high in the column getting that much and your LPS lower.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

theschwenkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/17/2018, 04:03 PM   #3
NYCBOB
Registered Member

deresa clams need less light, but still need a whole lot more than what ur duncan and blasto need. I keep mine next to duncan coral on the sand, but i use led lighting.

NYCBOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/17/2018, 06:52 PM   #4
Uncle99
Crab Free Zone

Maxi's do fine on rock, this is normal for them, they will attach by bysal gland within 30 days, then, it should never be removed. They need lots of intense light, low flow, regular phyto feedings and must be larger than 3" to survive long term. Also, water requirements call for perfect, on-point, NSW, and very stable. Uses lots of Alk and CA to build shell.

Deresa needs less light, but usually found in the sand.

Last edited by Uncle99; 08/17/2018 at 06:58 PM.
Uncle99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/18/2018, 06:46 AM   #5
krs1102
Registered Member

Thanks for the info everyone. Where does T. Squamosa fit in the scale of easy vs difficult and placement?

I have Led lighting, so I figure I should have enough PAR. I'll just need to figure out the balance between the clams and LPS. Thanks again.

Unread 08/19/2018, 09:03 AM   #6
Uncle99
Crab Free Zone

Does not require super intense light like maxi or crocea.
LED us fine, place him on the sand and he will attach by bysal gland.
Some place them on a small flat piece of rock so they could move it later, I use 1/2" so the flat rock hides under the sand. Low flow (not stopped, but low, so he can spread out his mantle fully)
Once that bysal gland attaches, you should never remove, and once happy, leave him.

Keep in mind two things

-you must have a tank that is at least 6 months old, have absolutely perfect water with all parameters stable and you must maintain Alk 8-9, CA 420, Mg 1350 at all times. Flux in water parameters are not tolerated well and clam are very expensive.

-while clams get 65-70% of their nutrient needs from photosynthesis, they are also filter feeders so, twice weekly feed phyto.

Last edited by Uncle99; 08/19/2018 at 09:09 AM.
Unread 08/20/2018, 10:18 AM   #7
MondoBongo
Obligate Feeder Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle99 View Post
-while clams get 65-70% of their nutrient needs from photosynthesis, they are also filter feeders so, twice weekly feed phyto.
this is simply not true, and is a zombie lie that refuses to die.

i have seen no available research to back this up, but you seem to have a love of spurious claims.

different Tridacna species operate differently, but T. gigas is the one that does the most filter feeding, and that is only 15 - 20% max of it's carbon intake. the other species *may* filter feed on occasion, but it is far from a significant component of their diet.

even a cursory google would have shown that this is NOT a factual statement:

https://www.advancedaquarist.com/2010/7/inverts
https://www.int-res.com/articles/meps/107/m107p147.pdf

Quote:
Only T tevoroa significantly increased its photosynthetic efficiency with increasing depth. Consequently, it was able to rely on phototrophy while at greater depth (ca 10 m deeper) than T. derasa. At their normal depths, phototrophy provides most (1 tevoroa: 70% at 28 m, 105% at 15 m). if not all (T derasa). of the carbon required for growth plus maintenance, and filter-feeding is a relatively minor source (8 to 14 %). These 2 species contrast with the largest tri- dacnid species, 7: gigas, in which filter-feeding is a major source of carbon, at least in small clams, and the relative allocation of carbon for growth compared to respiration is much higher.

"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right" - xkcd

Current Tank Info: A rectangular shaped money pit.
MondoBongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/20/2018, 12:08 PM   #8
Uncle99
Crab Free Zone

I don’t need any research, and I don’t need to prove anything, been successful this way for 25 years and that’s all that counts to me. They grow they are happy, people can chose what they want, no need to be nasty.

Many hobbyists want general rules to follow, that may apply to many species, feed phytoplankton fits all to a degree

Last edited by Uncle99; 08/20/2018 at 12:15 PM.
Unread 08/20/2018, 07:27 PM   #9
krs1102
Registered Member

Thanks for the info- my tank has been up for about a year at this point and the values are pretty stable. I'm still planning on waiting a while longer before I take the plunge with the clam.

Unread 08/28/2018, 05:38 AM   #10
homer1475
Registered Member

I've had a squammy for about 3 years now. It's grown from a one inch tiny little clam to well over 6 inches now. I have never fed a drop of phyto to my tank, and yet the clam continues to grow and thrive.

Feeding clams is certainly not needed as long as their light requirements are met.

Originally posted by der_wille_zur_macht:

"He's just taking his lunch to work"
homer1475 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/07/2018, 08:36 PM   #11
OrionN
Moved on

As long as you have enough light for them, it does not mater where you place them. You can see the clams lower on the sand better, nicer color. Just have to have bright light.

My homepage is my album here at Reef Central

Current Tank Info: Reboot 320 anemones reef. Angels: Yellow Chest Regal(2), Flame (2). Copperband But. Tangs: Yellow, Purple. Wrasse: about 20 wrasses various species. Anemones: Giantea X4 (Breen, Blue, Purple and Multicolors), Haddoni X1 Red, Magnifica X1 Purpletip
OrionN is offline   Reply With Quote