Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/06/2017, 11:27 PM   #1
mirkus
Registered Member

Rusted nanostream bracket

This is a bummer

I've had this pump for about 3 years. This is the second rusty magnet I've pulled from my tank in 2 days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mirkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/07/2017, 08:16 AM   #2
rvitko
RC Sponsor

Any rust would be the same rust we use every day as GFO, there are no toxic metals in this magnet construction, more often than not what is rusting is iron the magnet picked up, including GFO dust and not the magnet itself, the actual magnets are ceramic and cannot rust, there is a polyurethane coated iron plate under the magnets that can potentially rust if the coating is breached. That is a magnet design from about 5 years ago, the current ones are rare earth and fully encapsulated. Magnets from 3 years ago would be similar but the magnets are round on one side and matched to the contours of the casing. The main issue with these is the 3D surface gives lots of crevices for accumulated bits of iron stuck to the magnet to rust and cause staining. I would simply clean them with a brush and vinegar as they are likely not rusting and even if they were no harm can come to the tank. The current 6025.512 is smaller and fully encapsulated if you prefer to replace them.

"He's for every one of us, stands for every one of us, he'll save every man, woman and child in a mighty Flash!"

Current Tank Info: 210 gallon planted tank with Altum Angelfish
rvitko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/07/2017, 09:15 AM   #3
mirkus
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvitko View Post
Any rust would be the same rust we use every day as GFO, there are no toxic metals in this magnet construction, more often than not what is rusting is iron the magnet picked up, including GFO dust and not the magnet itself, the actual magnets are ceramic and cannot rust, there is a polyurethane coated iron plate under the magnets that can potentially rust if the coating is breached. That is a magnet design from about 5 years ago, the current ones are rare earth and fully encapsulated. Magnets from 3 years ago would be similar but the magnets are round on one side and matched to the contours of the casing. The main issue with these is the 3D surface gives lots of crevices for accumulated bits of iron stuck to the magnet to rust and cause staining. I would simply clean them with a brush and vinegar as they are likely not rusting and even if they were no harm can come to the tank. The current 6025.512 is smaller and fully encapsulated if you prefer to replace them.

Thank you for the thorough response. I probably have the design that is 4-5 years old. With that said , if the magnet cannot rust it must be the encapsulated iron plate. I don't run gfo ( haven't in last 4-5years) and the magnet/bracket was fine when I put it on my tank almost 2 years ago.

Unread 11/07/2017, 09:36 AM   #4
rvitko
RC Sponsor

It is not impossible, but here is my general observation, when the iron plate is rusting, the stain looks like a bullseye or tie dye, there is a pin hole in the polyurethane that is very strongly rust stained and it progressively fades out with distance. I have been amazed how much iron dust is around us from working with magnets: sharpening kitchen knives, using steel wool, broken bits of staples, contaminants in gravel in the aquarium, it is everywhere inside our houses and that is usually the cause when it is flaky and isolated to one side of a magnet, I have even seen them new out of the box with bits of iron from the factory, small filings for example.

"He's for every one of us, stands for every one of us, he'll save every man, woman and child in a mighty Flash!"

Unread 11/07/2017, 10:01 AM   #5
mirkus
Registered Member

I will have to take a closer look when I get home. It's hard to see in the picture, but there is a decent amount of rust on the side too. I'll have to put on my csi hat.

Unread 11/08/2017, 09:49 PM   #6
mirkus
Registered Member

After further investigation, I stand corrected. The rust was caused by something foreign.

Unread 11/09/2017, 09:09 AM   #7
rvitko
RC Sponsor

Thank you for the update.