Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/11/2017, 09:12 AM   #1
Western_reefer
Reef keeper

Carberryi Anthias (Nemanthias carberryi)

Has anyone kept Carberryi Anthias
(Nemanthias carberryi)? Nothing much seems to pop up when I search for these guys... are they pretty hard to keep? Are they aggressive? Any and all info greatly appreciated!

Food comes with it's own flavor. Anything that has to steal flavor from other food just so it can have flavor is not a food. That is

Current Tank Info: 120 gallon Mixed Reef, mostly SPS dominated
Western_reefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/11/2017, 09:24 AM   #2
Andrew D
Registered Member

I had heard they were difficult to keep but that didn't stop me from trying a couple of years ago. Mine all succumbed in quarantine, one at a time. I've had most success with bartletts of which I still have a harem in my display.

Current Tank Info: 350G DT, 700G system including in-line mantis, anemone and frag tanks
Andrew D is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/11/2017, 08:34 PM   #3
Western_reefer
Reef keeper

Bump

Food comes with it's own flavor. Anything that has to steal flavor from other food just so it can have flavor is not a food. That is

Unread 11/12/2017, 08:20 AM   #4
jonnybravo22
Registered Member

I've tried several times. In my experience they eat well, swim together in the open areas, are incredibly peaceful with other tank ares, but slowly die, one after another inexplicably.

I've never been able to keep a group for more than a month or two (if that long) before they start the dying process. Once it starts its like one very few days drops off.

Beautiful fish but not hardy at all in my experience. I have gotten them from Live Aq.

Last edited by jonnybravo22; 11/12/2017 at 08:29 AM.
jonnybravo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/12/2017, 12:47 PM   #5
Western_reefer
Reef keeper

Anyone else have any experience with these guys?

Unread 11/12/2017, 09:57 PM   #6
Pericyte
Registered Member

I’ve had one for a couple year, admittedly I’ve never kept a group of them. The one I have is one of the more gregarious anthia species I have kept. He is always hanging out with dispar/lyretails, just above the rock work. Fairly small species but I suspect they would be great in a group if you got them when they were small (female). At the very least an individual will mix well with other species of anthias.

I feed my 300 gallon tank 2.5 sheets (1.25 sheets twice a day). Usually the anthias eat small flakes that break off, and mysis/cyclopeeze once a day. All my anthias seem fat and happy.

Good luck!

Pericyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/12/2017, 10:07 PM   #7
Pericyte
Registered Member

Also like most other anthia species I suspect they need to be fed multiple times per day, are very sensitive to ammonia, and need to be proactively treated (I use prazi pro and cupramine).

Pericyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/14/2017, 10:19 AM   #8
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

I tend to think of anthias in two broad categories: bigger/bolder and smaller/secretive. The former can do well and would be bimacs, squares, bartletts and lyretails. The smaller ones don't do as well because they are skittish and often difficult to feed in a boisterous community tank. I would, however, view the carberyi as one of the easier of the small anthias. You do have to feed them frequently and be mindful of aggressive tank-mates, but they are doable (unlike some of the others).

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
ca1ore is offline   Reply With Quote