Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/30/2018, 02:40 PM   #1
KnightMetro
Registered Member

Roller mat options?

I am building an entirely new reef system after a few years away. Now that we own our home, I'm going all in and ordered a custom 5' tank to build into our kitchen. 60x27x24. 170g by SCA.

So, as I am refreshing my knowledge, I am coming across some new and undeniable technology to add to the build.

I have the most questions around roller mat options. I will be running a RS Shadow overflow with a bean animal as well as have a dedicated fish room in the basement right below the tank. All plumbing and filtration will be downstairs.

Theiling Rollermat - Proven but concerns. Does a bean animal work with this? I hear of rust issues, heat caused by the motor -> condensation, and the gears wear out. For $400, these issues should not exist.

Clarisea - Improved version and looks to be geared towards the DIY as it just hangs on the sump. Again, how to incorporate with a BA overflow as it looks like it has only one line in? It doesn't look clear as to where to put it and at what water level...

Klir - This one impresses me the most but the design in 100% new and no one even has one running yet. It fits right in the sock holder or has an adapter assembly for DIY sumps and mentions BA overflows. I would probably go with the adapter or buy a sump that would be appropriate for this setup. I'm honestly waiting for the Youtube video reviews to start rolling in on this one.

Is there anyone else making these yet?

KnightMetro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/30/2018, 02:58 PM   #2
slief
RC Sponsor

There are the Dreambox options but they are in another league compared to the ones you mentioned both in terms of construction, design and cost. They are available as complete filter systems with the roller mat built in or standalone roller mat systems that can be be used as a pre filter and then connected to an existing sump.
https://royalexclusiv.net/en/dreambo...er-sytems-3-0/

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
slief is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/30/2018, 05:50 PM   #3
KnightMetro
Registered Member

Beautiful, well thought out, and looks lab grade. I agree it is in another league.

Unfortunately, I am part of the 99% that would end up in a shallow grave in the backyard if I purchased such a lavish accessory.

Unread 08/30/2018, 06:12 PM   #4
windlasher
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightMetro View Post
Beautiful, well thought out, and looks lab grade. I agree it is in another league.

Unfortunately, I am part of the 99% that would end up in a shallow grave in the backyard if I purchased such a lavish accessory.
Cmon.... wife won't mind if you don't pay the mortgage for a few months...

windlasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/04/2018, 11:11 AM   #5
KnightMetro
Registered Member

I like the Theiling design the most, currently, but can you actually plumb it if you are running a bean animal setup?

Unread 09/04/2018, 11:34 AM   #6
gcarroll
Registered Member

This company also makes these and offers a much higher flow rating than others on the market.
http://seavisions.com/CADS%20PAGE.htm

SPS = Stability Promotes Success
Be wary of advice coming from those who will not show you the fruits of their success!

Current Tank Info: building: 250g AGE Euro tank, Abyzz A200, Vertex Supra-G filtration, Ecotech Radion Pro LEDs, ...
gcarroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/04/2018, 01:45 PM   #7
callsign4223
Registered Member

Just a thought, run the full siphon and partial siphon lines into a larger diameter pipe and then run that one pipe into the roller mat.

For example, your BA uses 1.5" pvc. Run the siphon down to a gate valve, then past the gate valve to a 1.5-2" adapter, then into a T fitting. Run the partial siphon the same way minus the gate valve into the same T fitting. Then run a 2 inch line out of the T fitting into the roller mat. Keep the dry emergency line running directly to the sump.

You will lose some capacity for the second line to reach a full siphon in an emergency. Alternatively, just plumb the full siphon to the roller mat and leave the partial siphon directly into the sump. 95% of your flow should be going to the full siphon anyway.

callsign4223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/07/2018, 09:06 AM   #8
mnml
Registered Member

I just installed a Klir fleece filter in my Waterbox 130.4. Fits directly into a standard 4" sock holder. No plumbing required.

Current Tank Info: Waterbox 130.4
mnml is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/10/2018, 01:50 PM   #9
biecacka
Registered Member

I believe GEO has some in the works for his sumps as well.

https://www.geosreef.com

Corey

biecacka is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/10/2018, 02:27 PM   #10
gcarroll
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by biecacka View Post

Corey
Those were really slick. I think he'll sell a lot of them.

SPS = Stability Promotes Success
Be wary of advice coming from those who will not show you the fruits of their success!

Current Tank Info: building: 250g AGE Euro tank, Abyzz A200, Vertex Supra-G filtration, Ecotech Radion Pro LEDs, ...
gcarroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/10/2018, 03:18 PM   #11
KnightMetro
Registered Member

Those look great. It looks like we'll have to wait a few weeks for pricing.

It will be nice to see, a couple years from now, that these roller mat systems will become part of the norm.

Unread 09/10/2018, 04:08 PM   #12
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by biecacka View Post

Corey
I saw the new Geo roller mat sumps at MACNA and they looked really nice and well designed! I’m sure they will be very effective and great sellers!

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
slief is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/11/2018, 10:28 AM   #13
pecan2phat
Registered Member

Those Geo roller mats look great! Obvious selection if you were looking for a roller mat tied in with a new sump. Question will be cost and replacement roll.
The problem I have with the Klir is maybe they went to market to quick and could have engineered a better support wall for the fleece roll like what the Geo's support wall looks like.There could be a number of reasons why in which maybe the fleece material is too thin but my initial guess is the bracket wall. It's much more open then the Geo from what I see. I actually contacted Carlos from Coralvue and he thought maybe the fleece roll was snagged on the wall bracket so I advanced it and it was fine until it starts to get dirty then does the same thing until the fleece advances more.
I'm still okay with the Klir since it does what I needed it to do which is no more dirty filter socks. The leakage/bypass does not seem to affect water clarity in my DT, matter of fact it's clearer then with the 200 micron socks previously utilized.

https://youtu.be/ZucPjUQuY40

pecan2phat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/11/2018, 02:11 PM   #14
KnightMetro
Registered Member

That video definitely leads to some concerns. That's a lot of water not going through the filter material.

Unread 09/11/2018, 03:28 PM   #15
solitude127
Proud user of IO Salt!

Anyone see the 7" version of the Klir at MACNA?

ReefKeeping.com TOTM Nov 2012
Socalireefs Featured Reef Oct 2011

Current Tank Info: 60*30*20, 8x54 ATI Powermodule, ReefBrite XHO, ATB Elegance 200, Aquamaxx CTech CaRx, Ecotech Vortechs, Apex Controls, WM Ecobak powered. RedSea Reefer 170, MP10, Apex Jr, Ecotech Radion XR15, Aquamaxx WS-1
solitude127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/11/2018, 05:05 PM   #16
Vinny Kreyling
Registered Member

The larger model is "supposed " to be ready next month.

Unread 09/11/2018, 05:14 PM   #17
Vinny Kreyling
Registered Member

D&D also had one for sale @ comparable prices.
I spoke with "GEO" not George any more, he sold the company.
They buy the unit & rebuilds it to his specs.
I think I will wait until the next MACNA & see what transpires.

Unread 09/11/2018, 09:27 PM   #18
mnml
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pecan2phat View Post
Those Geo roller mats look great! Obvious selection if you were looking for a roller mat tied in with a new sump. Question will be cost and replacement roll.
The problem I have with the Klir is maybe they went to market to quick and could have engineered a better support wall for the fleece roll like what the Geo's support wall looks like.There could be a number of reasons why in which maybe the fleece material is too thin but my initial guess is the bracket wall. It's much more open then the Geo from what I see. I actually contacted Carlos from Coralvue and he thought maybe the fleece roll was snagged on the wall bracket so I advanced it and it was fine until it starts to get dirty then does the same thing until the fleece advances more.
I'm still okay with the Klir since it does what I needed it to do which is no more dirty filter socks. The leakage/bypass does not seem to affect water clarity in my DT, matter of fact it's clearer then with the 200 micron socks previously utilized.

https://youtu.be/ZucPjUQuY40

Strange. That doesn’t look right. Mine doesn’t flow out the sides

Unread 09/11/2018, 09:39 PM   #19
pecan2phat
Registered Member

I think your system is too clean to compare, your fleece is still white so there is no pressure within the draining water yet.
When my unit went in, as I said it was fine also but as the fleece starts to clog, that's when the dam starts it's leakage.

Unread 09/11/2018, 10:06 PM   #20
mnml
Registered Member

You're probably right. I've only had for 6 days now but the fleece is advancing due to clogging. I'll keep my eye on it to see if it leaks like yours.

Unread 09/12/2018, 10:43 AM   #21
biecacka
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny Kreyling View Post
D&D also had one for sale @ comparable prices.
I spoke with "GEO" not George any more, he sold the company.
They buy the unit & rebuilds it to his specs.
I think I will wait until the next MACNA & see what transpires.
I know. So sad.
George was a great friend of mine and when he was there i used to go out and hang in the shop with him sometimes. Sometimes even assembly some reactors etc. I miss those times

Corey

biecacka is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/12/2018, 11:06 AM   #22
Vinny Kreyling
Registered Member

I heard he is in the Florida panhandle.
Wonder how he did with the storm?

Unread 09/13/2018, 09:59 PM   #23
pecan2phat
Registered Member

New impact insump roller mat came out from Theiling
https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/compa...newprod_091318

Unread 09/14/2018, 06:37 AM   #24
stackrat
Registered Member

You mentioned Clarisea!
Walk away now. These things are absolute junk. Mine managed to do one roll of fleece before the motor refused to move the roll anymore and needed to be moved by hand every day.

£280 is an awful lot of money to pay for a glorified filtersock.

stackrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/14/2018, 08:10 AM   #25
KnightMetro
Registered Member

OK, I had seen a short video of that new Theiling a few weeks ago but had not seen it for sale. Looks like they stepped away from aesthetics on this one but I like the price.

500GPH though? I like that it hangs on the side of the sump.

I have to admit, since all of these are so new, it seems the designs on these change every day. I think....in the long run....we will see more designs like GEO become the norm as this is a must have in future sumps. Right now most of the designs are based on incorporating them into what we already have.