Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/23/2011, 02:27 PM   #76
SPotter
Registered Member

You should just have your tax refund sent to home depot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Am I really doing all of this for a fish tank??????

Current Tank Info: 360g Envision Acrylic Tank, Closed Loops, Vectra L1's, MP40QD's, 400w Radiums, Regal 300ext, Dastaco Ext3 CaRx, Controlled by GHL Profilux
SPotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/23/2011, 11:53 PM   #77
nightOwl
Premium Member

SPotter,
Lucky for me I aim for no tax return that way I can spend all year long .

Sump - Update
I was running low on my pieces of acrylic from the old tank. I was down to what was supposed to be the top of the new tank and the back. I used the top to frame the top of my sump. From left to right refugium, return, intake chamber. I plan on painting the refugium area black. I should have done this before but hindsite is always 20/20.

Before routing

After routing

Plumbing - Updates
So I made some more progress on plumbing yesterday and tonight. Yesterday I ran out of supplies so I had to make a run to Lowe's today after work as well as place an order to Savko for some flexible PVC. I placed an order 1" and 1-1/2" and it should arrive Friday.

Since the main return may get heavy I added some support so that there is no unnecessary strain on the bulkheads. Everything is still in a dry fit stage for the most part. Here is what I have so far.

Tank with plumbing

Reefflo Snapper

Each side will have a 1" return and a 3/4" return that can be adjusted via ball valves. The 1" return lines have 1" flow accelorators on them. I will try to remember to take a picture tomorrow.

Return 1" and 3/4" split - Left

Right side

Using a Wye for the branch not sure if I should use a T or not?

Sump - Updates
The sump is now under the tank for a temporary dry run. I was trying to get an idea of how everything would fit in. From left to right: Calcium Reactor, Kalk Reactor, Two Little Fishes Media Reactor 1 & 2, and finally the Reef Octopus Skimmer. The three 1/2 outlets will feed the Kalk Reactor and Media Reactor 1 &2. The 3/4 outlet I will pipe down to feed the Calcium Reactor. The other one I am saving for UV Sterilizer possibly. The manifold will be feed off the return from the pump and has the ability to bleed back into the refugium area.

Sump

Unread 02/23/2011, 11:56 PM   #78
nightOwl
Premium Member

Sump - Updates Continued
Macro Gro Light - 25 Watt version

Macro Glo Light

Macro Gro Light

Skimmer and manifold

Two sump intake bulkheads. I made these so I could have a place where I could make the return from the frag tank and main display return to the sump. I will use filter socks to catch the water and will create a holder once I finally decide how they will be plumbed.

Sump - For reference the intake bulkhead in the sump return section is 2"

Top-Off Container - Update
I was looking back through my thread tonight and realized I never posted a picture of the completed top-off container. Pictured below is the container with the attached lid. Once I finally decide on on the location I will drill a hole in the top and run the line to the sump for when evaporation occurs.

Lid closed

Lid Open

Unread 02/24/2011, 12:06 AM   #79
Bamm Bamm
Saltwater Guru

wow Im very impressed its all coming along nicely!! Where you get that refugium light and how much was it thts really sweet..

Current Tank Info: 60g cube
Bamm Bamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/24/2011, 11:01 AM   #80
nightOwl
Premium Member

Bamm Bamm,
I purchased my JBJ 25 Watt Macro-Glo Adjustable Refugium Light from Marine Depot They look pretty nice and can be adjusted at the head, arm, and base. They run about $54 but the 25 watt version I think is equivalent to 120 watt incandescent bulb.

Unread 02/24/2011, 03:18 PM   #81
BowieReefer84
Registered Member

Are you going to run the fuge on a reverse light cycle? Are you going to pull outside air to the skimmer? Are you going to seal up the wood?

Looking good! I want to see you stock it...

BowieReefer84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/25/2011, 12:13 AM   #82
nightOwl
Premium Member

BowieReefer84,

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowieReefer84 View Post
Are you going to run the fuge on a reverse light cycle?
Yes . With my old set up I could not do this but since this is going to be behind the wall that is the plan. This should also help keep my PH very stable.
Quote:
Are you going to pull outside air to the skimmer?
No I am hoping the skimmer will do very well without any outside help.
Quote:
Are you going to seal up the wood?
I am still looking into this one.
Quote:
Looking good! I want to see you stock it...
Stocking is going to be exciting for me! I am looking forward to buying some new frags and possibly a few colonies. The fun part is going to be watching things grow in!

Unread 02/26/2011, 06:59 PM   #83
muttley000
MTS Sufferer!

Wow, this is really coming along nicely. What is the timeframe for stocking this?

Current Tank Info: 475 multitank system is now running! Several hundred gallons of additions planned!
muttley000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/26/2011, 08:56 PM   #84
palmer373
Registered Member

are you using coast-to-coast or just strainers?

palmer373 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/26/2011, 09:12 PM   #85
michael_in_nc
Registered Member

What is the purpose of the "manifold" above the sump?

Nice build.

michael_in_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/27/2011, 07:56 AM   #86
HaleMoana
Registered Member

Great thread! Question about the stand... what are you using for the back ledger of the stand? Looks like a 2x4? supported by the centerbrace which is qty (2) 2x4's?
The reason I ask is because I am currently building a 210 in wall (much like yours) and I was condsidering using a 2x8 or 2x6 to run that long span aross the back. My thoughts were that I'd need a bigger piece of lumber to support that span so that I would only need one centerbrace (thus making the sump easy to access). Looks like you got away with a 2x4. Are my eyes deceiving me or is that really all you used?

thanks.... and good luck the rest of the way!

Current Tank Info: Custom Starphire 220 In Wall Wrasse Retreat
HaleMoana is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/27/2011, 09:37 PM   #87
nightOwl
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by muttley000 View Post
Wow, this is really coming along nicely. What is the time frame for stocking this?
muttley000 - Thanks for the compliments. I don't have a specific time frame for stocking, but hopefully I will have saltwater in the tank within the next two weeks and after the normal cycling period a few new corals. The fish will come a bit later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by palmer373 View Post
are you using coast-to-coast or just strainers?
palmer - Welcome to the build. I brought the tank used and it just had two 1" bulkheads installed. I have since expanded to 1-1/2" bulkheads and hope this will be enough. So to answer your question just 2 1-1/2" strainers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael_in_nc View Post
What is the purpose of the "manifold" above the sump?

Nice build.
michael_in_nc - Welcome to the build. The manifold will allow me to distribute flow to some of the smaller items on the system without needing extra pumps. I will post some updated pictures this week as I have made a few modifications. I have added two 1/4" quick connects one for the Calcium Reactor and the second a drip acclimation line. In my case I am using it to run my media reactors, calcium reactor, and drip acclimation station. In the case of the media reactors I now need two less pumps on the system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaleMoana View Post
Great thread! Question about the stand... what are you using for the back ledger of the stand? Looks like a 2x4? supported by the center brace which is qty (2) 2x4's?
The reason I ask is because I am currently building a 210 in wall (much like yours) and I was considering using a 2x8 or 2x6 to run that long span aross the back. My thoughts were that I'd need a bigger piece of lumber to support that span so that I would only need one center brace (thus making the sump easy to access). Looks like you got away with a 2x4. Are my eyes deceiving me or is that really all you used?

thanks.... and good luck the rest of the way!
HaleMoana - Welcome to my build as well. The center brace is a 4x4 the stand is made from 4x4's. The only exception is the sides where a 2x4 is used. I am using 2 2x4's to support the 2" return line that runs to the sump. I think where you are seeing the 2x4 is on the lower stand. I actually have two stands. One base and then the tank stand sits on that. The 2x4 that you see is running the span of the lower stand and then on top of that is 3/4" thick piece of plywood.

Unread 02/27/2011, 09:57 PM   #88
michael_in_nc
Registered Member

nightOwl, Thanks! Must be the engineer in me, but all the plumbing with valves and such just looks cool. I'm building a 245G now. Still waiting on the glass. I'll be following along to see how yours turns out. Good luck.

Unread 02/27/2011, 10:09 PM   #89
HaleMoana
Registered Member

Subscribed. Good luck!

Unread 02/28/2011, 12:55 AM   #90
koby325
Registered Member

Great work

koby325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/28/2011, 02:07 PM   #91
nightOwl
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael_in_nc View Post
nightOwl, Thanks! Must be the engineer in me, but all the plumbing with valves and such just looks cool. I'm building a 245G now. Still waiting on the glass. I'll be following along to see how yours turns out. Good luck.
michael_in_nc -Thanks for the good luck wishes I am going to need them. It had been so long since I had set up a tank I forgot how much of a pain some of these things are. I have always hated plumbing! I spent many hours looking at different designs and trying to incorporate changes that will make my life easier this time. 254G that is going to be huge. What are the dimensions going to be? I am not even done and already want a bigger tank!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaleMoana View Post
Subscribed. Good luck!
HaleMoana - Thanks. I am hoping it will not be too rocky of a road.
Quote:
Originally Posted by koby325 View Post
Great work
koby325 -Thanks and welcome to the build!

Unread 02/28/2011, 07:22 PM   #92
michael_in_nc
Registered Member

The dimensions are 84" x 24" x 28". I started looking to upgrade from my 75G to a 135G and ended up at 245G. Not sure I'll do this again, so I'm going to go as big as I can this time around!

Unread 03/01/2011, 12:51 PM   #93
nightOwl
Premium Member

michael_in_nc,
That should turn out pretty nice. I see you were trying to double in size each time.

Unread 03/02/2011, 01:37 AM   #94
nightOwl
Premium Member

Time for a small update....

General - Updates

I added two new drawers to store stuff in one under the tank and the other on the frag tank. I needed a new blade for my circular saw so I picked up a new blade to help in the process. Both will hold miscellaneous items for the tank.

New Blade

Drawer Packed with Goodies - For Under Tank

Frag Tank Drawer

Wiring - Updates

Since cords are limited to how long they are I am adding some new outlets to on each side of the tank. Using the conduit I will run wires which should arrive tomorrow. The technique is similar to the one Melev used with his tanks.

Conduit In Place

Waterproof Box

Lighting Updates
Instead of using wire connectors and having to untwist wires repeatedly I decided to go with some plugs. Quick connect and disconnect without the hassle .

Male and Female plugs

I was in the dollar store and saw these cheap LED lights. I am going to use them under the stand to light the sump when I am checking water levels or just fiddling around under the stand. They are battery run and are surprisingly bright.

LED Lights

Unread 03/02/2011, 01:42 AM   #95
nightOwl
Premium Member

Plumbing - Updates
My spa flex came in as expected. Savko has pretty fast shipping and they are cheaper than the big box stores. I was able to use it in my plumbing and it made plumbing easier.

Flexible PVC aka Spa Flex

Plumbing is now complete and I tried to test the system for leaks and as expected I have one issue. Frag tank was fine, the main display was fine, but the sump is leaking at the bulkhead. The pressure from the 2" pipe is causing the side to bow a little. I may add a center brace and also reinforce the side with another piece of acrylic.

The last post mentioned I would post a picture of the flow accelerator. I did the plumbing this go around so that most of the plumbing can be broken down into 3-4 foot sections.

Flow accelerator

I am thinking of using these things with my overflows. I will then add a small screen on top to keep debris and snails from going down my returns. It is similar to an adaptor I think. It goes from 2" down to 1-1/2". I will turn it upside down and use it that way.

Updated Manifold with Quick Connect

Unread 03/02/2011, 01:22 PM   #96
nightOwl
Premium Member

I guess in all my excitement I forgot to post the actual plumbing pictures of the chiller and such. I will post those tonight showing the places I used the spa flex.

Unread 03/02/2011, 02:15 PM   #97
SPotter
Registered Member

slacker!!!!

Am I really doing all of this for a fish tank??????

Current Tank Info: 360g Envision Acrylic Tank, Closed Loops, Vectra L1's, MP40QD's, 400w Radiums, Regal 300ext, Dastaco Ext3 CaRx, Controlled by GHL Profilux
SPotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/02/2011, 02:51 PM   #98
nightOwl
Premium Member

SPotter,
Man I wish I could . This thing has been keeping me up till after 2:00 AM EST for the last few nights. I can feel I am so close, but there are still so many little things to do . I am shooting for salt in the next week or so. I have to figure out this leaky bulkhead issue ASAP! The sooner I start cycling the better because I am dieing to see what that SRO can skim out. Don't worry you will be up on deck in the next 4-6 months.

Unread 03/02/2011, 11:42 PM   #99
nightOwl
Premium Member

General - Updates
I completed the second drawer for storage under tank.

Drawer of Goodies number two

Wire arrived today

Lighting Quick Connect

Plumbing - Updates
As you can see in the pictures I used a ton of unions. The spa flex came in handy for some weird angles. I plumbed the chiller into my set up and it will flow back into the sump vs the main display. The items on the manifold are fed by the chiller return. After more leak testing I saw three more issues tonight. I had forgot to use thread sealant on the overflows. The two on the back of the tank and the one on the frag tank leaked only a small amount for being over night. I drained the water below the bulkheads and will apply the sealant tomorrow after it dries.

I applied a new piece of acrylic to the side of the sump. I will need to re-drill tomorrow. I am also thinking of getting new bulkhead. After a closer inspection tonight I found that the flange side of the bulkhead does not sit flush with the acrylic .

Plumbing pictures

Unread 03/07/2011, 08:44 AM   #100
HaleMoana
Registered Member

Wow!!!

Tags
180 gallon, in wall build