Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/04/2019, 06:54 PM   #1
rennne39
Registered Member

startng tank over question about dry rock

i am starting my over after two years of not having it up i want to start my tank with dry rock i kept in a garbage can while i was not using it, i want to know if i can put this straight in the tank with my live sand thanks for the help

Current Tank Info: nitrate: 0 ammonia: 0 temperature: 80 Water source ro/di, Salinity: 1.027 Alkalinity: Lights (2) mh 250 wat/T5/ Calcium: 500
rennne39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/04/2019, 07:39 PM   #2
Oldreeferman
Registered Member

If its clean sure why not?

Current Tank Info: Nano Reef tank
Oldreeferman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/04/2019, 09:37 PM   #3
rennne39
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldreeferman View Post
If its clean sure why not?
Thanks

Current Tank Info: nitrate: 0 ammonia: 0 temperature: 80 Water source ro/di, Salinity: 1.027 Alkalinity: Lights (2) mh 250 wat/T5/ Calcium: 500
Unread 11/04/2019, 10:46 PM   #4
cvrle1
Registered Member

It depends. Was it live when you took it out? If so, I would cure it 1st outside the tank, as there could be a lot of dead things left over. If there was a lot of die off, I would do a bleach bath, to make sure I get rid of all that nasty stuff left behind.

cvrle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/05/2019, 07:02 AM   #5
rennne39
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvrle1 View Post
It depends. Was it live when you took it out? If so, I would cure it 1st outside the tank, as there could be a lot of dead things left over. If there was a lot of die off, I would do a bleach bath, to make sure I get rid of all that nasty stuff left behind.
How do you do a bleach bath

Unread 11/05/2019, 12:20 PM   #6
cvrle1
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rennne39 View Post
Here is a long thread with lots of info and various ways of going about it

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=1914426

Unread 11/05/2019, 02:23 PM   #7
Oldreeferman
Registered Member

Quote:
You did not say if your rock was new or used, just dry
If its used then yes obviously it needs cleaning & that depends on what it is covered with, a pic would be nice.
If its covered with coralline all over then vinegar soaking would remove that, or a soak in Muratic acid then neutralizing the acid and a lot of rinsing afterwards afterwards until the ph is neutral.
Many ways to skin the cat depending on the type & condition of said rocks.
I doub't bleaching is what you need if its used & dry so your not killing unwanted pests which bleach would do nicely, you just want clean rocks to restart again.

Unread 11/05/2019, 05:15 PM   #8
cvrle1
Registered Member

Quote:
If its used then yes obviously it needs cleaning & that depends on what it is covered with, a pic would be nice.
If its covered with coralline all over then vinegar soaking would remove that, or a soak in Muratic acid then neutralizing the acid and a lot of rinsing afterwards afterwards until the ph is neutral.
I doub't bleaching is what you need if its used & dry so your not killing unwanted pests which bleach would do nicely, you just want clean rocks to restart again.
Using acid can go real bad, real fast if you dont know what you are doing. I would go with Lathanum Chloride instead. Does the same thing, but a lot safer. Yes it takes a bit more time, but you are at least not playing with acid.

Unread 11/05/2019, 06:10 PM   #9
Oldreeferman
Registered Member

I agree if one is not informed or is clueless about the usage of acids then they should not go that rout, it does require a bit of reading & safety education to be certain of what to do, such as add water to acid but not acid to water, glasses, gloves, only outdoors unless vented etc... Safety first always.
I used to reclaim precious metals using HCL & Nitric acids, Muratic is almost nothing compared to Nitric, sulfuric in fact is worse. That being said IF HCL is used in a diluted state "only with pure water" its very safe, only bleach or chlorine is bad, such as city tap water which has chlorine as that will then combine to form chlorine gas. Distilled or RO water is fine however.
I would not do rocks in full strength HCL as many say to do only diluted, that way organics don't react violently..... but slow & gently, safer for the end user. Patience is a virtue in this hobby in every aspect.
Ultimately its the users choice but everyone in the Continental US sells HCL ( Muratic acid) openly so its not a big deal.... at least here, its used for concrete cleaning mostly (which is why its so good for cleaning rock) & plumbing cleaning in some drains after rodding, if grease is not the issue.
As long as no chlorine is added its stable.

Unread 11/07/2019, 09:33 AM   #10
rennne39
Registered Member

[IMG][/IMG]

Unread 11/07/2019, 09:35 AM   #11
rennne39
Registered Member

Unread 11/07/2019, 09:37 AM   #12
rennne39
Registered Member

Quote:
I post some pic so you could see what the rock looks like

Unread 11/07/2019, 02:58 PM   #13
cvrle1
Registered Member

Quote:
I post some pic so you could see what the rock looks like
None of your pics showed up for me. I see broken links

Unread 11/10/2019, 09:35 PM   #14
rennne39
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvrle1 View Post
None of your pics showed up for me. I see broken links

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 49025487661_5fcc8f6da7_w.jpg (62.1 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg 49025488256_9e7e3a23b7_w.jpg (57.7 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg 49025695532_9e31974c3f_w.jpg (56.6 KB, 7 views)