Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/12/2017, 09:41 PM   #1
Frost_Hydra
Registered Member

Question Anemone health concern (BTA)

My Bubble Tip Anemone and my Teardrop Ocellaris (Amphiprion Ocellaris) have been in my tank for 2 weeks now. From the very start, the BTA didn't look too great, as the mouth would be exposed, which I think is from stress. And overall its tentacles are skinny and not bubbly. I know somethings wrong with it, I just don't know what. I'm 99% sure it's not sick nor has any diseases as color wise it looks ok to me. The water chemistry is also fine, and all the tank inhabitants don't mess with it. I was curious if any anemone experts could help me (if its something obvious). Also, yesterday my clownfish showed signs of interest in it, which got me really excited. He only goes near it as it gets dark, so I'm assuming it's for protection; though when it does get dark, the BTA almost completely closes up leaving the poor fish bumping into it hoping that it would open.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2776.jpg (61.1 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg 52955784654__79C43D8E-40CB-4558-8AF9-308F5F248063.jpg (60.7 KB, 38 views)
Frost_Hydra is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/13/2017, 01:28 AM   #2
laverda
Registered Member

I could not enlarge your photos, or tell anything from them. How long has the tank been set up? What are your parameters? You should be able to see the mouth, but not its guts. It is not uncommon for them to not have bubbles. That alone does not mean it is unhealthy.

Current Tank Info: 300g mixed reef, 50g cube
laverda is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/13/2017, 11:42 AM   #3
Frost_Hydra
Registered Member

The tank has been established for about 6 months, and I heard 1.025 is good for anemones, so I'm keeping the salinity at that. Thanks for the advice about the mouth too. I've never seen its guts, but the mouth is usually protruding half an inch out of the body. I've also tried to feed it mysis shrimp, but it doesn't seem to eat it; a few minutes later it just falls off the BTA. So I'm going to try to give it a small piece of table shrimp. Thanks for the advice

Frost_Hydra is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/13/2017, 12:26 PM   #4
Small Heavens
In Memoriam

It seems undernourished.
It's tentacles are "short", so it needs nourishment.

I cannot recall how much light BTA needs specifically, so I will just assume that you got sufficient light anyway.

It looks as if it needs time to recover from its travels & temporary stays but they need time to adjust all kinds of chemical stuff in their system. Until they are ready, the chemistry inside them can kill them off, so they can be withdrawn while they are still getting used to the new surroundings and all.

Last edited by Small Heavens; 10/13/2017 at 12:41 PM.
Small Heavens is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/13/2017, 12:27 PM   #5
Small Heavens
In Memoriam

Try feeding it just before dark and make it close up with tiny minced particles of shrimp near its mouth. Remember that frozen shrimp can have all kinds of additives in them, any kind of natural raw meaty seafood is useful. I feed flatfish..

Does it draw away from the light during daytime?

Last edited by Small Heavens; 10/13/2017 at 12:43 PM.
Unread 10/13/2017, 12:32 PM   #6
Small Heavens
In Memoriam

Oh, also, anecdotally I keep a LTA and everytime the blue light comes on, it flattens stifly. Like it is kinda pulled backwards automatically by the light.

Perhaps it can force a weaker Nem open so it becomes unable to close its mouth completely?

Unread 10/13/2017, 11:38 PM   #7
laverda
Registered Member

Anomonies do better in a well established tank. There are other perameters you should know for your tank. Most importantly alkalinity, then Calcium, magnesium, nitrate and phosphate. Anomones like some nitrate in the water and can use it as a food source. Make sure anything you feed your BTA is completely thawed first.

Current Tank Info: 300g mixed reef, 50g cube
laverda is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/14/2017, 01:38 AM   #8
Small Heavens
In Memoriam

I dose a good fertiliser the night before regular water changes and carbon the rest of the time.

That way I get constant peaks of phosphates, nitrates and such (for the Nem) but rinse it back out before too much algae growth can prosper from it.