Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/12/2006, 11:33 AM   #1
s2svetko
Registered Member

Haitian Reef Anemone

I got a Haitian Reef Anemone (pink tips) today and ive read they like to move around the tank a lot. It seems to be attaching to the rocks then letting go and floating around till it find another place to attact. Is this how they usualy move around? Also ive see various opinions on whether or not clowns will host in them. Its small right now mabey 3/4' so my clowns are like 2x its size but i was just wondering opinons on its hosting possibilitys. thanks

s2svetko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/12/2006, 01:17 PM   #2
Safir
Registered Member

My Condy came from Florida, but it moved around a fair bit for the first few days I had it, but has been fairly stationary since - it only actually floated around the tank once, but since has been moving around on the rockwork - it seems to like an area of fairly low flow, but good light - when I had a blue LED moon light shining on it it actually was "reaching" for the light and started to move toward it. I should note i've only had it a few weeks, but it hasn't moved more than 1" over the last 7 days.

supposedly clowns will not host in them, but i was at TFP and they had a clown in their tank full of them, and it was swimming in one, so i suppose it is possible. I think the clown was a tomato or pink skunk, but i do not remember real well...

I'm sure someone with more experience will chime in, or you may want to try in teh clowns & anemones forum.

Safir is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/12/2006, 01:50 PM   #3
Terminal
Registered Member

I have two Haitian Reef Anenome and only one did the float thing before it attached to my LR. I also have a clown but he hasn't really even gone near the anenome or has shown any interest at all towards is so I dunno about that. Also I have noticed that one of mine shrinks all the way down every night when I turn the lights off and when I turn them on and feed he grows back to normal. I don't know if your having this problem or if its just normal.

Terminal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/25/2006, 11:49 AM   #4
bjonesjr1
Premium Member

I have a Pink Tip and I know that they do not host any clowns, from what I've been told or seen.

Current Tank Info: 75gal, LifeReef CLF1 Sump & SVS2-24 Skimmer
bjonesjr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/28/2006, 07:56 AM   #5
boomsticks
Registered Member

There is a possibility that the clowns will host in a condy It is possible.

Current Tank Info: 55 gal reef, 24 cube
boomsticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/29/2006, 11:15 PM   #6
jumpincactus
Registered Member

good read

I just got done extensive reading and research on anenomes. Seems they are very fickle when it comes to flow and light. They typically will travel around when they do NOT like the spot they are in, will hobo around your tank until they find a spot that suits them.

I was surpised to read that they are harder to keep than most people think. Also not all anenomes will host clowns. I am going to try to post the article I read so anyone that wants to read it can.

File is too big sorry

Current Tank Info: 110 gal Acrylic 44 x 24 x 24 Cherry stand/canopy Sequence Dart running closed loop Ampmaster2100 running 30 gal fuge/sump. Lights 2- 250 watt Ushio 14,000k and 4 -96 watt True actinics.
jumpincactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/30/2006, 03:40 PM   #7
Chappy
Registered Member

I have had condy's in the past (they were so cheap near me, less than 5 bucks). My clowns never touched them. However, my friend bought one from the same store and added it to his reef that already had a sebae clown. It ended up going in it! Mine wouldn't touch it. I think it said something bad about its mom.

So most clowns won't go in them, but you can get lucky, I've see it.

"No honey, I'm not playing online poker. Yes honey, I am looking up aquarium stuff. Yes honey, I'll come to bed now."

Current Tank Info: 300 gallon Reef Savvy peninsula, AI Vega's, SPS, LPS
Chappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/30/2006, 10:57 PM   #8
cherubfish pair
Registered Member

What are you all feeding these Condys?

Thanks for looking at my build thread and subscribe to it if you already haven't yet!

Current Tank Info: thirty rimless
cherubfish pair is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/01/2006, 08:50 AM   #9
oroborus
Registered Member

Depends how lucky you are, interestingly my pink skunks left a BTA to host one of my Condys.....go figure

oroborus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/01/2006, 10:59 AM   #10
abugs1985
Registered Member

I've had a pink haitian anemone for about a year now. My percs wont go near it and neither will my yellow stipe maroon clown. But as everyone else has said...it really depends on the fish and what it wants.

abugs1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/01/2006, 11:38 AM   #11
raoul
Registered Member

Is it possible? Yes. Just be careful. Because these nems aren't normal hosts for clowns, you run the risk of loosing the clowns. There are nems from the pacific that may eat the clowns, but from what I understand, the condy is much more likely since all they see is food, not a house mate. I think there was a thread on here not too long ago, about just that experience. If you would like one for a host, most people suggest a pacific species that would normally host a clown. JMO, good luck!
Alta

Current Tank Info: 37 gal dedicated RBTA/clown tank, 180 gal mixed reef
raoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/01/2006, 01:04 PM   #12
reverendmaynard
Registered Member

I have a haitian pink tip with a pair of maroons hosting in it. I put the female clown and the nem on hold at the same time at the lfs. They were in different tanks, but they moved the nem to the clown's tank to seperate it from the other nems. When I returned 3-4 days later, the clown was hosting it.

I put the clown in QT, with the male that I already had, and put the nem directly in the display. When the clowns were introduced 4 weeks later, she went right back to the nem, and of course, the male followed.

Hopefully the large size of maroons, and keeping the nem well fed, will prevent any eating of the house guests.

Current Tank Info: 125 gal AGA, setup on 1/1/06; 29 gal seahorse tank, setup 10/21/06
reverendmaynard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/01/2006, 03:28 PM   #13
Safir
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by the cattleman
What are you all feeding these Condys?
I feed mine shrimp and krill pieces - maybe som esilversides when i run low on those - feed it at the same time as my other carnivores in hopes of keeping them all from eating fish - so far so good, but they're only a few months old, we'll see in the long run.

FWIW i saw a tomato clown in the condy tank at a LFS and it was hanging out in one of them the entire time i was there.

Safir is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/24/2014, 10:00 PM   #14
Oceanguyjamie
Registered Member

Haitian anemone hosting my clownfish

Just purchased this guy today. Wish I had done more research not sure this was the right choice for my tank but we shall see. Regarding clown fish hosting in the Haitian Anemone I have read in multiple places that this is not common at all. Infact illogical since this is a Caribbean anemone and there aren't any clown fishes in the Caribbean but I decided given what happened tonight I would post a reply. I have a fairly aggressive clownfish that doesn't seem to like anything in my tank but strangely when I added this anemone today he took right to it. Spent several hours swimming around through the tentacles. I was a bit worried because I heard Petco clownfish are raised in captivity and I wondered if he had adapted immunity to the anemones tentacles or not. I'll keep an eye on him for next couple days but so far he seems quite content. Though the anemone on the other hand retracted behind my live rock and seem to be annoyed by this invasion. I'll keep updating as I'm not sure what will happen over the next few days. Very new at this have a combination of soft and hard corals and fish and a shrimp. Hopefully this addition won't be too stressful and we won't have any casualties. Don't mean to sacrifice life to learn but I'm sure I'll get there.

Oceanguyjamie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/25/2014, 03:45 PM   #15
rishu_pepper
Registered Member

I got a free Haitian anemone off of a local, about 1.5" wide. First night it attached to my LR, my tomato clown was curious. Within a few hours it already started hosting it quite happily. Now the tomato occasionally hosts it while the anemone moves around from time to time in my 30g. Both are doing well.

rishu_pepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/19/2015, 08:45 AM   #16
Boesluv
Registered Member

Help! I am a beginner saltwater hobbyist and last night I bought a pink tip haitian Anemone. When I got him home and put him in my tank he seemed fine. We watched him make his way all over a large rock, just below the filter. He went over, under, around, and through! Seemed like he settled into a spot right in front of the intake tube from the filter.I turned the tank light off when I went to bed and when I got up this morning he was dead and had been sucked into the filter. Any ideas of what could have happened?

Boesluv is offline   Reply With Quote