Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/18/2018, 12:27 PM   #1
mickeyfish
Registered Member

Red Hair Algae course of action

This stuff seems to be growing pretty fast. Any suggestions on how to get rid of it? Is manual removal best?

Params:
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0
PO4: .2 (can’t get it lower even after running GFO reactor)
Alk: 10.5
Calcium: 400-420.

Lights are stock Biocube LED.

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mickeyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/18/2018, 12:46 PM   #2
Pet Detective
Registered Member

Yes, manually while there is so little of it....but it's so cool looking, I might be tempted to keep it....nah, probably not.

I'm sure there's a Tang out there that would love that?

Pet Detective is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/18/2018, 02:07 PM   #3
Sk8r
RC Mod

If you can isolate it to one rock or one area of one larger rock, take it out, toothbrush the problem area, then immerse the spot in hydrogen peroxide from your local drugstore for exactly 30 seconds, then rinse the daylights out of it in salt water until it quits bubbling and replace it 'bad' side down. This may solve your problem.

Salinity 1.024-6; alkalinity 8.3-9.3 on KH scale; calcium 420; magnesium 1300, temp 78-80, nitrate .2. Ammonia 0. No filters: lps tank. Alk and cal won't rise if mg is low.

Current Tank Info: 105g AquaVim wedge, yellow tang, sailfin blenny,royal gramma, ocellaris clown pair, yellow watchman, 100 microceriths, 25 tiny hermits, a 4" conch, 1" nassarius, recovering from 2 year hiatus with daily water change of 10%.
Sk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/18/2018, 02:09 PM   #4
Sk8r
RC Mod

THat's not hair, btw, but something else---maybe gracilaria (qv) ---which is generally thought of as beneficial to tangs, but ONLY in a tank of 100 gallons plus.

Salinity 1.024-6; alkalinity 8.3-9.3 on KH scale; calcium 420; magnesium 1300, temp 78-80, nitrate .2. Ammonia 0. No filters: lps tank. Alk and cal won't rise if mg is low.

Current Tank Info: 105g AquaVim wedge, yellow tang, sailfin blenny,royal gramma, ocellaris clown pair, yellow watchman, 100 microceriths, 25 tiny hermits, a 4" conch, 1" nassarius, recovering from 2 year hiatus with daily water change of 10%.
Sk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/18/2018, 04:35 PM   #5
mickeyfish
Registered Member

Ok interesting. In any case I scrubbed it off with a hard brush and then put it back. Seems to all be gone for now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mickeyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/18/2018, 10:30 PM   #6
Bent
I got nothin'

That looks like cotton candy algae...

I would nuke that crap ASAP.

[QUOTE=CStrickland]Who gets mad at a starfish?[/QUOTE]

Current Tank Info: 75g DT, 30G refugium, 10g chaeto tank, 50g stock tank basement sump
Bent is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/19/2018, 08:34 AM   #7
anthonys51
Registered Member.

Cotten candy algae doesn’t grow attached to rocks like that and is much softer Hence the Cotten candy name Looks like some type of red Macro algae. What type is impossible to determine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

anthonys51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/19/2018, 10:19 AM   #8
Bent
I got nothin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonys51 View Post
Cotten candy algae doesn’t grow attached to rocks like that and is much softer Hence the Cotten candy name Looks like some type of red Macro algae. What type is impossible to determine.

Mine did...

And those pics look awful similar to this:

And this:

What we refer to as “cotton candy algae” encompasses a plethora of species that all don’t necessarily look the same. Regardless they can all be invasive.

I would not trust any red branching macro algae.

Current Tank Info: 75g DT, 30G refugium, 10g chaeto tank, 50g stock tank basement sump

Last edited by Bent; 02/19/2018 at 10:24 AM.
Unread 02/19/2018, 10:29 AM   #9
anthonys51
Registered Member.

First one is what I am referring to as red Cotten candy algae. Yes the problem with using common names is that they may vary with locations But the op doesn’t have the first one As you can see it’s not what’s in the picture the op posted. Second one I have no idea what it is he might of had that one but I suspect My tangs and foxface and snails will eat that rock bare in one night. They will eat almost any algae Even calurpa but they won’t touch cotton candy If I take a rock covered in hair algae or any other algae put it in my tank it’s cleaned by next morning

Unread 02/19/2018, 10:31 AM   #10
Bent
I got nothin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonys51 View Post
First one is what I am referring to as red Cotten candy algae. Yes the problem with using common names is that they may vary with locations But the op doesn’t have the first one As you can see it’s not what’s in the picture the op posted. Second one I have no idea what it is he might of had that one but I suspect My tangs and foxface and snails will eat that rock bare in one night. They will eat almost any algae Even calurpa but they won’t touch cotton candy If I take a rock covered in hair algae or any other algae put it in my tank it’s cleaned by next morning

Its just my opinion.

I am often wrong, just ask my wife.

Unread 02/19/2018, 10:47 AM   #11
anthonys51
Registered Member.

Lol