Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/08/2014, 07:48 AM   #1
doctorwhoreefer
Moved On

Triton Test Results

Didn't see a thread that encompassed test results.

Hoping to receive mine soon, but wondering if there's any other people out there who've tested their tank. I'm more interested in freshly mixed salt, by brand, but until enough tests are done....

Post your test results please!

doctorwhoreefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/08/2014, 10:08 PM   #2
swk
Registered Member

tritonpg1.pdf

tritonpg2.pdf

here's my results from my 75 gal. I use Red Sea salt. The regular formula with the blue bucket. I change 10 gal every 2 weeks, and will continue to do so based off these results

swk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/09/2014, 04:24 PM   #3
Mark426
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swk View Post
Attachment 299816

Attachment 299817

here's my results from my 75 gal. I use Red Sea salt. The regular formula with the blue bucket. I change 10 gal every 2 weeks, and will continue to do so based off these results
Are the Triton results from you tank or fresh mix? One of the better Tritons I have seen......so far ☺

Mark426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/09/2014, 04:38 PM   #4
swk
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark426 View Post
Are the Triton results from you tank or fresh mix? One of the better Tritons I have seen......so far ☺
Lol - from my tank

swk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/09/2014, 06:12 PM   #5
hedgedrew
Registered Member

I am in process of having several tested but awaiting more answers

hedgedrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/09/2014, 07:20 PM   #6
doctorwhoreefer
Moved On

So far I think I've also found 2-3 RC/IO results, I believe 2 of 3 had elevated lithium. The creator himself mentioned something on the forum about '80-90% of US test results have elevated lithium so far'

This may indeed coincide with RC being one of the most popular salts. (in the US)

Let's see those test results! (still awaiting mine, hopefully I made it in before the holiday)

Unread 12/10/2014, 05:28 AM   #7
Randy Holmes-Farley
Reef Chemist

I'm also not thinking that slightly elevated lithium is any concern. It is not very toxic and NSW levels are quite low. Its biological properties (such as a drug in humans) happen at far, far higher levels.

Current Tank Info: 120 mixed reef
Randy Holmes-Farley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/10/2014, 03:20 PM   #8
doctorwhoreefer
Moved On

Eh, it may appear harmless but it's not at the same level as NSW from the tests I've seen so far.

Even elevated Vitamin A can be a problem though part of our diet.

At least the fish will have less psychotic tendancies right?

Unread 12/10/2014, 04:12 PM   #9
Randy Holmes-Farley
Reef Chemist

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorwhoreefer View Post
Eh, it may appear harmless but it's not at the same level as NSW from the tests I've seen so far.

Even elevated Vitamin A can be a problem though part of our diet.

At least the fish will have less psychotic tendancies right?
You are right, it is not at NSW levels. But it also far, far below known toxic levels.

You can see the studies here:

http://www.pesticideinfo.org/Detail_...Rec_Id=PC36197

Especially in seawater, where it competes with massively higher sodium, and other cations, it is almost nontoxic.

Sea urchin embryos are usually among the most sensitive inverts, and in that link it took more than 2 million ug/l lithium to be toxic.

Unread 12/10/2014, 05:04 PM   #10
hedgedrew
Registered Member

There's worse issues than the lithium issues out there. I'll give you one hint that cane back but won't name salt. Elevated magnese. This is nasty stuff that can burn coral and intefere with photosynthesis and cause too much oxygen in zoonth. Abd hence fry your coral. And I have some first hand experience with one of salts this may have happened with. Stay tuned. Not sure I really want to put any manufact. On the defense either.

Unread 12/10/2014, 05:09 PM   #11
hedgedrew
Registered Member

Ok. I would also say that I have tried to fool the triton system and I sent 2 exact samples but labeled them differently. They came back identical. So this is no random thing. It is at least consistent.

Unread 12/10/2014, 08:24 PM   #12
billsreef
10 & Over Club

The problem with manganese is what form is it in. Some are definitely a problem, some are completely inert for our purposes. ICP doesn't tell you what form it's in, or what compounds it might be part of. The plasma just rips molecules apart so the elements can be identified. While knowing what elements and their concentrations is useful, it is only a part of the story.

"LOL, well I have no brain apparently. " - dc (Debi)

Current Tank Info: Far too many tanks according to my wife, LOL.
billsreef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/11/2014, 03:27 AM   #13
CJBuckeyes
Registered Member

Here's my results from my tank. I use ESV salt.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf Triton.pdf (90.6 KB, 88 views)
CJBuckeyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/11/2014, 06:46 AM   #14
Randy Holmes-Farley
Reef Chemist

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJBuckeyes View Post
Are you dosing iron? It seems very high.

Unread 12/11/2014, 07:55 AM   #15
doctorwhoreefer
Moved On

Quote:
Originally Posted by hedgedrew View Post
Elevated magnese.
Please do share the brand, this is one of the reasons I enjoy seeing the advent of the Triton test, we can filter out the manufacturers who are slacking.

If they do see it, so what, they can't sue. But they can approach with revisions to quality control..

Bottom line though, until we get a lot of tests of freshly mixed water, the elevations could be indirect and have nothing to do with the salt. (even if parameters are pefect this too could be the case via dosing etc)

Unread 12/11/2014, 07:57 AM   #16
doctorwhoreefer
Moved On

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJBuckeyes View Post
Thank you sir!

Keep em coming everyone! Though the ICP test may not tell forms etc, at least we have a better idea than the few parameters we could measure with before with at home kits, or minus the really expensive tests that precede the Triton.

Unread 12/11/2014, 08:50 AM   #17
Randy Holmes-Farley
Reef Chemist

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorwhoreefer View Post

If they do see it, so what, they can't sue.
Why not?

Unread 12/11/2014, 10:14 AM   #18
doctorwhoreefer
Moved On

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Holmes-Farley View Post
Why not?
Ok, so that might not be a finite statement, but I would find it highly irregular given the trash talking that goes on about other products! hehe

To the subject at hand though, perhaps you might divulge some thoughts on the interaction between Lithium and other elements in the tank?
I've done a little reading though I'm not a chemistry wiz by any standards, but the thought occurred to me, could the Lithium be reacting with other components in the tank following other routes that could be determined as unwelcome? (not necessarily negative; of course water changes are to be expected, but if delayed then....)

I see some stuff about Lithium reacting with Calcium Hydroxide, though it looks it may be temperature dependant? Even wikitpedia statest: "Trace amounts of lithium are present in all organisms. The element serves no apparent vital biological function, since animals and plants survive in good health without it. Non-vital functions have not been ruled out."

I'm curious about that last sentence, but wonder if we might be looking too heavily in the direction of direct correlation, as to what elevated levels could do.

I'm not saying anything about tanks that use RC/IO but it's more of a curiosity for expanding my own personal knowledge of aqueous environments.

Unread 12/11/2014, 11:05 AM   #19
Randy Holmes-Farley
Reef Chemist

Lithium is chemically VERY similar to sodium, which really limits what it might do from a tox perspective in an environment where the sodium is present at 19,000 times the concentration.

Lithium does not interact very much with other ions in seawater. Like sodium, a small portion likely ion pairs with carbonate and sulfate, but that would account for only a very tiny fraction of the carbonate and sulfate in seawater.

Unread 12/11/2014, 11:57 AM   #20
Eyore
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hedgedrew View Post
There's worse issues than the lithium issues out there. I'll give you one hint that cane back but won't name salt. Elevated magnese. This is nasty stuff that can burn coral and intefere with photosynthesis and cause too much oxygen in zoonth. Abd hence fry your coral. And I have some first hand experience with one of salts this may have happened with. Stay tuned. Not sure I really want to put any manufact. On the defense either.
what levels of manganese are we talking about?

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2402958

sorry it needs to be cut and pasted
Eyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/11/2014, 11:58 AM   #21
Eyore
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billsreef View Post
The problem with manganese is what form is it in. Some are definitely a problem, some are completely inert for our purposes. ICP doesn't tell you what form it's in, or what compounds it might be part of. The plasma just rips molecules apart so the elements can be identified. While knowing what elements and their concentrations is useful, it is only a part of the story.
could you elaborate?

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2402958

sorry it needs to be cut and pasted
Eyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/11/2014, 01:53 PM   #22
CJBuckeyes
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Holmes-Farley View Post
Are you dosing iron? It seems very high.
Nope, only dosing ESV 2 part and acropower. I run BRS GFO from time to time. Does this test detect iron hydroxide or only chelated iron? I feel like I need to go home tonight and review a certain person's article on phosphate and gfo.. haha.

Unread 12/11/2014, 01:58 PM   #23
Randy Holmes-Farley
Reef Chemist

It will detect any form of iron, but Ehsan said that particles are centrifuged (well, he said a word that someone translated for me as centrifuge ) before testing, so big chunks of GFO shouldn't make it to the test. Super fine particles might.

I only comment because I've only seen two Triton tests with detectable iron,a nd one was dosing it.

I use GFO and dose iron, but did not detect any by Triton and my dosing barely gets to the detectable range even when first dosed.

Unread 12/11/2014, 02:37 PM   #24
CJBuckeyes
Registered Member

Would you consider this a high enough level of iron to cause problems. Mostly SPS, they seem to be doing fine. I also have a clam, which I've heard can be sensitive to Fe, and it's doing well.

Makes me wonder about the source? I use 0 TDS water and do 25% water changes weekly (22 gal tank). Not sure where else it could be coming from?

I have a redsea Fe test, will test tank and freshly mixed water this weekend.

Unread 12/11/2014, 02:44 PM   #25
Randy Holmes-Farley
Reef Chemist

I don't know what level causes problems, but I wouldn't worry about it too much unless you are dowsing, in which case, I'd stop.

FWIW, some people add soluble iron as a phosphate binder and seem to have very nice tanks. The DSR (Dutch Style Reefing) method does this.

Tags
paramters, salt brand, triton