Unread 03/01/2018, 11:25 AM   #77
Sundog101
Registered Member

I guess the other forum is censored

Sundog101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/02/2018, 02:17 AM   #78
Haksar
Registered Member

Wow ,one amazing build thread and a dream tank .
Any idea who sells those angels and hybrid tangs.

Unread 03/02/2018, 02:20 PM   #79
copps
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ucantwin View Post
With that size of system I'd be afraid to travel as much as you seem to do. What type of work do you do that has you traveling like that?
I'm a systems engineer contracted by the Navy and work on submarine trainers. I only travel for work maybe six or eight weeks a year, to the seven US submarine bases, including Hawaii and Guam. If the kids are out of school I take them along with me and my wife, so it's not too bad. Tack on a few more weeks for vacation each year, and some travel for aquarium lectures... The size of your system doesn't matter... it's the plan you have and the number of points of failure. My system, despite it's size, is very simple in terms of plumbing and I have spares and a backup plan for everything. You only live once... your aquarium cannot be a ball and chain... especially if you like to travel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripdad View Post
Hey John,
I just wanted to take a minute to say thanks for sharing your tank, experiences and friendships with us. It has only been a few pages but already you have given us contact with several legends in this hobby, yourself included. I have been keeping marine fish since 1983 and it has really been a treat to hear you relate stories of some of the greats. It is so nice to have contact with some of the "old" guard, I hope you can spur some others to come out of the shadows. Your time spent here really enriches this forum for all of us and elevates our collective experience.
Thank you for that wonderful comment. It's great to share this stuff with you guys... because as my wife always says... she's heard enough! Seriously though, whether it's reef noob above who's in high school, Jack Randall who is in his nineties, or any of us in between, we are all bonded by this similar passion. It's great to share our experiences and feed off of eachother.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ca1ore View Post
Wow, makes my 450 look small ...... I guess it is small! Reef tanks are like storage, 'crap' expands to fill the available space or in the case of a reef tank, grows. Love the pyramids/zosters.
Our tank sizes are like our age... they're all relative. At 40, I'm one of the old guys on my hockey team... but I'm one of the young guys at work... in my local reef club WAMAS I am the crazy guy with the giant system... but to friends like Joe Yaiullo, who has a 20,000 gallon reef, and Bruce Carlson, who had a tank over SIX MILLION gallons, I have a nano...

Buy fish that excite YOU, and respect others' passions.
Yes, we know, there's a cheaper and prettier fish than the one we’re talking about.

Current Tank Info: displays are 1300 gallon SPS (8.5' x 6' x 42"), 240 gallon anemone, and 350 gallon fish only
copps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/02/2018, 03:16 PM   #80
copps
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClintY View Post
Now that I look at your post a few more times, I do recall seeing your 180g... and was always amazed at how dense and complete the coral heads grew. What is also really impressive is your dedication to meeting and working with the forefathers in the science and hobby of reef husbandry.
Clint, thanks again for chiming in and for the kind words. Coral heads should be grown that way! So many nowadays chop their corals as soon as they start taking off, so their energy then gets put into repair again rather than growing... and what I call the "blue revolution" has been incredible... so many blast their tank with blue lights, that you cannot tell what they'd look like in nature. I can shoot the sock on my foot with enough crazy LEDs to make my sock look like it's a rainbow from another planet... as a nature lover and diver though what I appreciate is growing incredible corals as they're seen in the wild, large enough to appreciate they're differences in growth forms.

In regards to our forefathers we as reefers are living in an amazing time! Most of the forefathers of our hobby are still alive, and most all of them are just great people to hang out with, with great knowledge. There is an unlimited amount of knowledge to learn from them... you can only learn so much from reading... hanging out with these greats is just about the greatest thing there is. And while we hold them up on a pedestal, they are all just people like us... people with a passion for this wonderful hobby.

Quote:
I had a 60 gallon running a DIY skimmer with a DIY needle wheel, DIY aragonite reactor and dosing kalkwasser with DIY MH lights then. Heck I was messing with the seaclone and amongst others was encouraged by Larry Maras to write more articles about various projects to boost RC's content back in the day. I went as far as researching with our local lighting manufacturers to prototype MH fixtures using 70 watt par lamps and cree LED etc but could not compete with the real companies who can mass produce the goods.

The hobby was becoming more and more complex and expensive with members dosing chemicals, feeding live foods and using all sorts of new equipment claiming to be the only way to achieve your results. Then I tore the system down in 2007 to build a new home but have not set up another reef since.

Interestingly, you mentioned kalkwasser and MH lighting in your system. So the technology race may be turning full circle back to simpler equipment. Mind you the modern digital ballast is a whole lot more efficient and dimmable than the magnetic ones we were using...
Yup... complex and expensive... we all have dealt with trying to explain our hobby to a friend that is not involved in it... sometimes it's like we're speaking a foreign language! The truth is though that all we have to do is what Mother Nature does effortlessly... you look at setups like the one at the Waikiki Aquarium... so much of the complex nature of our hobby is getting our aquarium water back to the freshly made up bucket of saltwater that we fill it with. After water, all we need is a something that replicates the equatorial sun, and a source of flow... that's it! Kalkwasser is great, as it adds back to the water what our corals take out, while RAISING pH... the opposite of what a calcium reactor does. Raising pH allows for more calcification and more growth in our corals. The downsides of kalk can be avoided... DO NOT hook up your kalk to your topoff... one... our topoff amount changes according to the climate... on rainy days we evaporate less when the air is more humid, but the corals still grow the same. Also, if your topoff ever stays on you quickly nuke your tank... your corals are literally better off out of the water than in a kalked tank.

Again I love LED lights as supplemental lights... to wake up the fish and tune in the Kelvin color you'd like your tank. But as a primary source of lighting there is no beating halides. People talk about them drawing electricity... the amount of light and coverage I get from one 400 watt halide is worth MORE than 400 watts of LED to me. I have very good friends that I respect greatly that have switched to LED from halide, and the amount of LED they need to replicate their halides for SPS is much more than many people state... and the growth they get on many SPS is not the same.

People also talk about the cost of replacing a halide... ok... for me that's what... $50 or $60 a bulb once a year? People talk about LED fixtures like they're going to run forever. You don't replace the bulbs, but if one component fails the whole thing goes down, and good luck taking that apart... So, even if you get TEN years from a fixture, which is more than I'd expect, you need to replace that... for how many hundreds of dollars? Also, if a ballast or bulb goes I swap it cheaply and easily... if a component goes in my $700 LED fixture how the heck do I replace it? So, to replace my six 400 watt halides lighting my 1300 I'd need how many LEDs... and if they ran for six years and started failing I'd have to spend how much to replace them? Also, the single point origin of LEDs is just not there... the spread I get on a 400 watt halide is amazing... yes I have 2400 watts of halide, but that's over 1300 gallons... less than two watts per gallon, run just seven hours a day... I'll stick with my halides.

Quote:

Bremerton! A fellow electronics wiz who moderates the Oplug forum for my other hobby, http://www.linkwitzlab.com/, lives there. yes, the west coast does have some interesting sea life, mostly anemones, which took me on a search for tidepools to collect specimen for a cold water reef, then I thought maybe if I lived by the water I could pump water in, etc etc and ended up purchasing a lot in Sooke BC. I currently have a simple 5 bedroom rancher with a 4 car garage/shop (another obsession) designed as my retirement - summer / long weekend home... but looks like I will need to add a fish room now that I am inspired by your efforts.

Hopefully you will list out your systems in more detail and perhaps a maintenance checklist/routine so a novice like myself can see what is really needed to achieve your results.

Cheers,
Clinton
Yup Clinton... I'm very fortunate to only travel for work to places right on the ocean... in all corners of the US. I can list my maintenance checklist in more detail later... but you need to have one... both in maintenance for removing detritus from your system and general husbandry, to preventative maintenance for all of your points of failure on your system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReefBum View Post
Simply wow. You have taken things to a whole new stratosphere!

Question....and perhaps I missed this, but did you use just dry rock to start this system or did you seed it with some live rock from your old tank? Interested to see if you ran into any algae problems (dinos?) others, myself included, have experienced starting dry rock only tanks or had trouble at first growing SPS due to lack of biodiversity.
Yup... there was no way I was going to be able to start with all live rock in this tank... It took me weeks to get the aquascape in the tank right, and with the way I designed it, it had to be done dry. Starting with dry rock also allows you to limit the amount of nuisance algaes and other things bad you bring in on live rock. With dry rock though it takes patience... yes my tank bloomed with many nuisance algaes... but that's normal... and with proper nutrient cycling, grazers, and time, it bounces back... I seeded my new system with a few pieces of live rock from my old system... after a year or so you couldn't tell the dry rock from live rock. Nothing good in this hobby happens quickly.

More to come...

Copps

Yes, we know, there's a cheaper and prettier fish than the one we’re talking about.

Current Tank Info: displays are 1300 gallon SPS (8.5' x 6' x 42"), 240 gallon anemone, and 350 gallon fish only
Unread 03/02/2018, 08:15 PM   #81
tom obrecht
Registered Member

Any advice on keeping mag anemones in the reef? I’m also interested in not only dwarf angels as we have talked about but either a mag or gig anemone. Any helpful hints?

Unread 03/03/2018, 09:08 AM   #82
peder
Registered Member

I Have a Dream............You just made your life!

peder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/03/2018, 10:51 AM   #83
copps
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piper27 View Post
Thanks for sharing the new tank John! I am curious, did you collect many new acros for this tank? If so let's see em How do you go about making sure no pests enter your system? Have you had any coral pests before? I would love to see this setup in person!
I do have a number of Acros I haven't shown... I'll get new pics soon and share them... I go through two levels of QT for all new additions... the first thing I do is set up a temporary quarantine... before things go into my quarantine tank... I use a simple 10 or 20 gallon... with one of my Kessils over the top...

Like all old school guys I dealt with SPS pests in the past... fortunately I left them in the past in the early 2000s. I remember I had Joe Burger (JBNY here on RC) over my old apartment in maybe 2002... all SPS guys had red bugs on their Acros, and Dustin Dorton had come up with the Interceptor treatment... Joe gave me the warm fuzzy and I treated not long after... since then I've used Interceptor for red bugs... not long after that we found out about AEFW. Many acros were killed trying to get rid of those back in the day... and fortunately now we have better dips and protocols... including Bayer.

When I get new Acros they first go into a bucket for about 24 hours to recover from the stress of shipping... in the bucket I do at least a double dose of Interceptor... which takes care of any potential red bugs. After the 24 hours they get a dip in Bayer and into the first stage of QT... I'll monitor... and after three or four days do another dip in Bayer... then another three or four days and another Bayer dip... if I see nothing they will go into my fully set up 60 gallon QT tank, where I forget about them for a few months and let them grow in... I am 100% sure they have nothing when they go into the 60 gallon second stage QT... so that is just an extra layer. You can see that system here... has a 250 watt 20K Radium and Avast Marine Skimmer... a full setup where anything can thrive...

The photo above also shows my the RO/DI I plumbed in. I run RO/DI water all over the house... to my fish room to fill the top off and water change vat... to the water change vat for my fish QTs that I showed earlier, and to this RO/DI vat shown above. In the vat above I use gravity to my advantage... and have 3/4" plumbing going to a few different places outlined in red. It shoots to the left to tweak the water level of my 200 gallon water change water vat if necessary, and then down to the floor for when I need to fill a five gallon bucket with RO/DI... it also shoots to the right where I have two ball valves... one to fill the topoff water to my coral QT tank near the floor, and the other goes into the sink... I rinse all of the frozen food I feed in RO/DI water in a net, so that I limit the nutrients going in to just the food the fish are eating... and not the soupy water that remains when the frozen food is thawed...

With a quick swap out of the union in the bottom left of the above picture I add an extension to fill the 55 gallon tank that serves as the topoff for my large reef system... this allows me to monitor how much I'm evaporating and know if there was ever a leak in the system, and eliminates the potential catastrophe of an endless stream of topoff water going into the system and dropping the salinity...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haksar View Post
Wow ,one amazing build thread and a dream tank .
Any idea who sells those angels and hybrid tangs.
Depends which fish you mean... some are unavailable and others are obtainable if you know where to look...

Last edited by copps; 03/03/2018 at 11:05 AM.
Unread 03/03/2018, 11:20 AM   #84
copps
Premium Member

Also, it's about time I show the 240 gallon... I've always kept a mixed reef... and wanted to keep a gigantea carpet anemone collection... and my Solomon island onyx percs that I've had forever... the female since 2001. As I mentioned above this tank is 5' x 3' x 25" high... and I set it up so that no plumbing is seen... not even the two Vortech MP40s that provide flow can be seen...

This system is down the hallway from the 1300 gallon...

And again the split screen at setup... and when it was finished...

A full tank show early on...

And a top shot...

I love reflection shots...

Even though this tank is only 240 gallon... I set it up to look like a little patch of reef... not like a tank full of rocks stacked like oranges at a citrus stand...

Also like a public aquarium I use a material called Kydex in my aquariums... this is a thin plastic that comes in many colors... I use black... and this allows me to hide all of the seams of the aquarium... and algae and everything to train your eye on the patch of reef... so that it looks like a reef... and not like an aquarium... this is what it looks like out of the tank...

When I'm on travel for a while and don't swap it out it gets overgrown with algae... like this...

But rather than scraping and scraping... I just swap in another piece of Kydex... I keep multiple sets, and clean them with muriatic acid to get all of the algae off and get them fully cleaned... look at the difference when a new set is swapped in... it takes minutes... forget algae scraping! Work smarter... not harder...

Unread 03/03/2018, 11:26 AM   #85
copps
Premium Member

The 240 of course grew in quickly...

Here you can see two different groups of cardinals I have... I love cardinals... so cool to see a fish that will school in even small systems...

The tank got away from what I really wanted to display... so I made room for my anemones... mainly my gigantea collection... I know this is the SPS forum but is there really any animal as beautiful as Stichodactyla gigantea? Here's a top shot of my giant green one...

And I do have many bubble tips in there too...

But they take a back seat to my gigantea... here's an updated shot of the left side of the tank... just what I've always wanted... a BLANKET of all colors of gigantea... from left to right... a multicolor purple... my giant green... a rainbow... and a blue... this species is just incredible...

Copps

Unread 03/03/2018, 11:54 AM   #86
fishguy597
Registered Member

John , can you give a little more info on the kydex ? Is it pretty rigid and does it bow in the tank? I did a quick Google search and what I found was .8 for thickness. I assume you just cut it to size of each panel? Also where did you get yours from? Sorry for so many questions it's just a great idea that I have never seen before. Seems like a great application for acrylic tanks. Thanks in advance.

Btw love your tanks. Long time follower first time poster.

fishguy597 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/03/2018, 12:06 PM   #87
Haksar
Registered Member

Depends which fish you mean... some are unavailable and others are obtainable if you know where to look...[/QUOTE]

I was referring to those beautiful hybrid angels and blackxscopas tang.

Unread 03/08/2018, 03:28 AM   #88
gregkn73
Registered Member

Wow, unbelievable system. Great commitment from a veteran. And you also skiing :-)
Did you ever think to use a Carlson surge maker to your system? If not why?

At waakiki aquarium, do they use any other flow devices, except Carlson surge makers?

Thanks in advance. Great reading.

gregkn73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/08/2018, 07:59 PM   #89
copps
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom obrecht View Post
Any advice on keeping mag anemones in the reef? I’m also interested in not only dwarf angels as we have talked about but either a mag or gig anemone. Any helpful hints?
Tom, with Mags and Gigs there are few things that make your chances of success much greater...

1. Be sure to get your anemones in good shape... many times as fresh from the ocean as you can get them is best. If you order them in at a LFS I'd take them in the bag from the wholesaler, assuming the water in the bag looks clear and the anemone looks ok. If you can get them from the Diver's Den that great too... Kevin Kohen is the man...

2. Prophylactic treatment with antibiotics has been a godsend, particularly with gigantea. Look it up and understand it. I drop the Cipro in right after the lights go out, and just before they turn on in QT I do a 100% water change and allow them to be in antibiotic free water during lit hours. I do two five day treatments with two days in the middle to rest. It's brought the success rate of gigantea up significantly...

3. For magnifica, the nice thing is that once placed in a place they're happy, they will not travel over sand or crushed coral. This gave me the ability to keep them in my 1300 without fear they'd travel and mow through my SPS... for gigantea, I came up with another way to keep them happy, and where I want them. I place them in clay flowerpots. Once they're foot is attached they're quite happy there, and it gives you the ability to place them where you'd like, and remove them if necessary for more antibiotic treatment. Here is a shot of a few in they're temporary QT that I treated with antibiotics...

And in their secondary QT... when grown in you cannot even see the clay pot, as shown in my photos above...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishguy597 View Post
John , can you give a little more info on the kydex ? Is it pretty rigid and does it bow in the tank? I did a quick Google search and what I found was .8 for thickness. I assume you just cut it to size of each panel? Also where did you get yours from? Sorry for so many questions it's just a great idea that I have never seen before. Seems like a great application for acrylic tanks. Thanks in advance.

Btw love your tanks. Long time follower first time poster.
Thanks... I got my large order brought in by my buddies at Avast Marine here locally... great guys I've known from long before they started their company... but I've ordered it from here...

https://www.interstateplastics.com/K...80309012207-9p

I've used the two thinnest sizes... 0.028 and 0.04 inches thick. I now use the thinner one... because it's easier to get in and out of the tank and curl up around the mass of corals I have growing. You can order a few small sheets and decide for yourself which works best. For most sizes you don't have to worry about bowing... I strategically place a few magnets here and there to hold it in place on the 1300... but on the 240 it holds in place by itself. To cut it you need to score it very carefully with a razor blade knife... only one track... and then bend it along the track and it will snap.

Here's a shot of it at the Steinhart Aquarium... that's another MASNA Aquarist of the year... Rich Ross... another great guy to have a beer with. this is probably the 0.04" in black...

Here's another shot from the Waikiki Aquarium... this aquarium was a great inspiration to me... despite it's lack of colorful corals... Hawaii doesn't have much so they don't have much to work with... but it's setup is incredible... from the front you see no plumbing or anything... your eyes are fooled into thinking it's a patch or reef, despite the relative small size of the tank. here's a front shot of the tank...

From the top you can understand its setup... and looking at it this way you would not believe how stunning it is from the front...

Here's a shot showing the light blue Kydex they use... and a way of keeping carpet surfers in the tank...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haksar View Post
Depends which fish you mean... some are unavailable and others are obtainable if you know where to look...
I was referring to those beautiful hybrid angels and blackxscopas tang.[/QUOTE]

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregkn73 View Post
Wow, unbelievable system. Great commitment from a veteran. And you also skiing :-)
Did you ever think to use a Carlson surge maker to your system? If not why?

At waakiki aquarium, do they use any other flow devices, except Carlson surge makers?

Thanks in advance. Great reading.
Thanks... the biggest drawback to Carlson surge devices in closed systems is that they produce a temporary burst of microbubbles... this is not really that unsightly as it's temporary... and quite striking... like wave breaking... but the problem comes when artificial lighting like metal halides are used. In Waikiki they use lots of natural sunlight, so this doesn't become an issue. They use many more modern methods of wavemaking technology there now... like the Hydrowizard... but the CSDs are great and hold up for many applications still...

Copps

Unread 03/09/2018, 03:57 AM   #90
xiaoxiy
Registered Member

That Kydex idea is insanely cool. What do you do when the Kydex starts growing algae and misc?

xiaoxiy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/09/2018, 07:49 AM   #91
hanas
Premium Member

xiaoxiy - read above, he incorporates multiple sets of kydex and cleans them with muriatic acid.

hanas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/09/2018, 08:15 AM   #92
gregkn73
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by copps View Post

Thanks... the biggest drawback to Carlson surge devices in closed systems is that they produce a temporary burst of microbubbles... this is not really that unsightly as it's temporary... and quite striking... like wave breaking... but the problem comes when artificial lighting like metal halides are used. In Waikiki they use lots of natural sunlight, so this doesn't become an issue. They use many more modern methods of wavemaking technology there now... like the Hydrowizard... but the CSDs are great and hold up for many applications still...

Copps
Did in the past ,kept that beatifull externall tank, with huge sps colonies with just CSD?
do you thing, that a natural sunlit tank, can support sps, with just CSD? Nowdays wavemakers produce a lot of flow, with low Watt demand, but the simplicity of CDS, the lack of parts that can fail and the very natural and huge flow they can produce, is something intriguing, especially if they can be used, as the only mean of flow...

And something irrelevant with flow. Why do you think detritus are so bad for our tanks? Due to increased no3 and po4 they cause, or and something else?

gregkn73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/10/2018, 10:15 AM   #93
fishguy597
Registered Member

And something irrelevant with flow. Why do you think detritus are so bad for our tanks? Due to increased no3 and po4 they cause, or and something else?[/QUOTE]

I also am curious about this. I like to hear a little more about your say no to detritus talk that you spoke of on page one. I get that it's basically just waste rotting in your tank. I try to blow of rocks with a turkey baster every so often.What do you do for removal of detritus?
I see you have open rockwork which helps however stuff still settles.

You spoke of using crushed coral for your sand bed along with epoxying it to acrylic under your rocks. Is it pretty coarse? How often do you vacuum the sand bed and do you recommend doing it in sections? How deep is your sand bed?
Thank you

fishguy597 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/10/2018, 01:44 PM   #94
nbcreef
Registered Member

I’ve been looking forward to this for a long time. Sincere thanks for sharing your masterpiece.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nbcreef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/12/2018, 12:58 AM   #95
ClintY
Registered Member

You are a systems engineer! That explains the intricate thought and planning behind your setup.

And placing new additions in quantized for months! I guess there is no better way of keeping the bugs out of a monster display with coral grown from frags that are from the beginning of reef central.

This is completely humbling.

ClintY is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/12/2018, 03:43 PM   #96
biodegraded
Registered Member

Quote:
Even though this tank is only 240 gallon...
That got a chuckle out of me.

Great thread. Thanks for taking the extensive time to put it together.

biodegraded is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/14/2018, 06:10 PM   #97
reefried
Registered Member

Wow great set up...I enjoy reading well written and documented builds as well as different tank theory’s...I like how you said if there is one thing you could tell people is “say no to detritus”.....I tend to believe in this too, but you also see people like Sanjay who’ve had their tank up for ten years and have never vacuumed the sand bed or the sump..(and has had the same skimmer for 20 years!!!) ..or even newer people like Jason Fox who runs an all bare bottom system, and regularly vacuums detritus, while at the same time having a Rubbermaid sump with 300 pounds of live rock that’s next to impossible to vacuum , and is basically a detritus sponge.... anyways great build, love the house too!....and keep the pics coming.....your a reef central legend and a great influence on the hobby

reefried is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/27/2018, 11:03 PM   #98
Mark SF
Registered Member

Quote:
Also, it's about time I show the 240 gallon... I've always kept a mixed reef... and wanted to keep a gigantea carpet anemone collection... and my Solomon island onyx percs that I've had forever... the female since 2001. As I mentioned above this tank is 5' x 3' x 25" high... and I set it up so that no plumbing is seen... not even the two Vortech MP40s that provide flow can be seen...

And a top shot...

Even though this tank is only 240 gallon... I set it up to look like a little patch of reef... not like a tank full of rocks stacked like oranges at a citrus stand...

Also like a public aquarium I use a material called Kydex in my aquariums... this is a thin plastic that comes in many colors... I use black... and this allows me to hide all of the seams of the aquarium... and algae and everything to train your eye on the patch of reef... so that it looks like a reef... and not like an aquarium... this is what it looks like out of the tank...

When I'm on travel for a while and don't swap it out it gets overgrown with algae... like this...

But rather than scraping and scraping... I just swap in another piece of Kydex... I keep multiple sets, and clean them with muriatic acid to get all of the algae off and get them fully cleaned... look at the difference when a new set is swapped in... it takes minutes... forget algae scraping! Work smarter... not harder...
I loved this method. I volunteered with Matt when he was at CAS for a little over a year, and my weekly chore was to clean the Kydex (amongst a bunch of other stuff). Pretty unreal how quickly you can clean a dozen or so tanks!

I've really enjoyed reading your thread - I guess I have the passion but don't yet have a tank. I'm currently in the design phase and enjoying the process all over again. Once I get her set up I will be coming to you for a SPS frag pack!

-Mark

Mark SF is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/28/2018, 09:06 AM   #99
YoeriV
Registered Member

Thank you very much for sharing these incredibly smart solutions. I've managed to work out a comfortable way of working myself, but did have some struggles with the algae cleaning as I like my sides and back to be clean as well in stead of overgrown which gives more depth. Also the color I chose is to bright blue to my personal taste.

But now you've given me the solution for both: the kydex... yet so simple, but I had never heard of it. I'll try to get some in my country (I'm from Belgium)
No more scraping anymore, just easily daily cleaning the front window and swapping out new kydex.. And I can choose for a darker/black color. Thanks for that!

Just a little extra question on it: You wrote that it holds its place on itself, but how does it do that in the front sides towards the front windows? Don't you see a gap there or is it due to it's stiffness that it tends to stick?

YoeriV is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/28/2018, 09:49 AM   #100
Mark SF
Registered Member

Quote:

And a top shot...

I loved this method. I volunteered with Matt when he was at CAS for a little over a year, and my weekly chore was to clean the Kydex (amongst a bunch of other stuff). Pretty unreal how quickly you can clean a dozen or so tanks!

I've really enjoyed reading your thread - I guess I have the passion but don't yet have a tank. I'm currently in the design phase and enjoying the process all over again. Once I get her set up I will be coming to you for a SPS frag pack!

-Mark

Mark SF is offline   Reply With Quote