Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/17/2014, 09:59 AM   #1
Moort82
Registered Member

Maroon pairing theoretical question

I'm guessing there is an easy answer to this one and have looked through the archives and can't find any advice.

My friend had a "pair" of gold stripe maroons who were fine for a few months before the female shredded the male. They were split up and have been for probably 4 months now. The "male" is around two thirds the size of the female now, so could theoretically stick up for itself more but is it likely that it has already changed or matured enough to cause problems?
We both agree its unlikely to work due to the small size difference and length of time they have been apart, but the female appears broody and is nesting and playing with algae, and i'd like to try and breed them.

So sensible to try, just keeping them seperated and slowly acclimating them to eat other? or don't bother and find a new smaller male?

TIA

Moort82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/17/2014, 11:38 AM   #2
Sugar Magnolia
Registered Member

You could put the smaller clown into a breeder box inside the tank and watch for aggression displays.

The only thing to fear is fear itself....and spiders.
Sugar Magnolia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/17/2014, 12:22 PM   #3
Postal
Registered Member

I would be worried that after 4 months apart you are likely to have 2 females now.
I only had success pairing GSM's when they were both young and very small or when there was a large size disparity.

Postal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/17/2014, 02:05 PM   #4
Moort82
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugar Magnolia View Post
You could put the smaller clown into a breeder box inside the tank and watch for aggression displays.
That was my thinking but i would split the tank in two so they both got used to a different territory and could escape one another if need be.

Unread 04/17/2014, 02:07 PM   #5
Moort82
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Postal View Post
I would be worried that after 4 months apart you are likely to have 2 females now.
I only had success pairing GSM's when they were both young and very small or when there was a large size disparity.
Unfortunately that was my thinking also. Good GSM's are hard to find around here so it would need to be a young fish i think to go with the larger current fish.

Unread 04/19/2014, 03:24 PM   #6
skyline377
Registered Member

I just put my smaller maroon in a critter box. Might leave him in ther for 2 weeks and fingers cross after that.

skyline377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/19/2014, 04:38 PM   #7
dalilgriffith
Registered Member

I usually put the smaller in a container that has a hole large enough for it to swim out of. A 2-litre bottle works. When it feels comfortable, it will come out.

-Anonmyous-

Current Tank Info: 29 gallon tank - divided with two pairs of clownfish
dalilgriffith is offline   Reply With Quote