Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Disease Treatment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/28/2010, 10:42 AM   #1
Drewbaby
Registered Member

Exclamation Fish have ich! Need help now!!!!

hey,
I have a 30 gallon long with hob penguin 350.
Pocupine puffer, toby puffer, and 2 triggers.

I believe they got ich due to the unusually cold weather here in Florida. I have put a better heater in the tank and have been treating with Kick-Ick. I have done 3 treatments so far. Im thinking about putting two triggers in one 10 gallon and the porcupine and toby in another 10 gallon (they are small so they all fit comfortably, they are not crowded) would this be the best way to treat? It seems to keep getting worse. Please if you have any advice please let me know. I'm also trying hyposalinity. Salinity is about 1.019 I know it needs to get lower, but im trying to do it slowly. Porcupine looks like death is staring her in the face, and i really can't lose her. please help me!!!!!!

THanks,
Kristina

Drewbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/28/2010, 04:24 PM   #2
wooden_reefer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewbaby View Post
hey,

I believe they got ich due to the unusually cold weather here in Florida. Kristina
I believe they got ich because the ich organisms exist in your system, the DT.

wooden_reefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/29/2010, 01:41 AM   #3
ultreef
Registered Member

are you treating with hypo and kick-ick at the same time?

ultreef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/29/2010, 11:44 AM   #4
jsf668
Premium Member

Quote:
I believe they got ick because all those fish shouldn't be in a 30g tank..

Current Tank Info: 210g-50g Sump/Refugium, SWX Extreme 250 Skimmer, Geo Kalk and Calcium Reactor, 3 Vortech MPw40's

Last edited by jsf668; 01/29/2010 at 11:46 AM. Reason: typo
jsf668 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/29/2010, 12:02 PM   #5
wooden_reefer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsf668 View Post
I believe they got ick because all those fish shouldn't be in a 30g tank..
How so?

Whether the fish will fit depends on how the medium in the tank was cycled and, for swimming room, how big they are now.

There can be and should be no ammonia and there can be enough space if all the fish are still very small.

After ich has been eradicated fish won't get ich.

Unread 01/29/2010, 12:08 PM   #6
RBU1
Moving on Up

OK well it seems not a single person has given this person any advice on treating the fish. Puffers are not real good to use copper on. If you can treat them with hyposalinity that wold be the best route. If you have no rock or corals or inverts in you 30 you can do it right in that tank. With Hypo keep a good eye on PH and make sure you have a refractometer to measure specific gravity you want to maintain 1.008.

RBU1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/29/2010, 12:10 PM   #7
wooden_reefer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewbaby View Post
hey,

I believe they got ich due to the unusually cold weather here in Florida. I have put a better heater in the tank and have been treating with Kick-Ick. I have done 3 treatments so far. Im thinking about putting two triggers in one 10 gallon and the porcupine and toby in another 10 gallon (they are small so they all fit comfortably, they are not crowded) would this be the best way to treat? It seems to keep getting worse. Please if you have any advice please let me know. I'm also trying hyposalinity. Salinity is about 1.019 I know it needs to get lower, but im trying to do it slowly. Porcupine looks like death is staring her in the face, and i really can't lose her. please help me!!!!!!

THanks,
Kristina
There are many posts on ich. Do a search.

IME the only way aginst ich is eradication.

I think success against ich must start with the mindset of the aquarist. If you are committed to eradication and know why eradication is necessary, getting the how to and adherence to it will be more attainable.

The biggest problem is always ridding a QT of ammonia during the eight or more weeks of active and continuous treatment. You must cycle the medium in QT very well in advance.

I always reduce the chance of concurrent bacterial infection when I treat against ich by using the UV correctly. The greatest danger of ammonia build up is bacterial infection that requires the use of a drug that harms nitrification bacteria. Otherwise, ich is usually smooth sailing. The UV is generally no effective against ich directly.

Unread 05/06/2010, 10:28 AM   #8
ddcengineering
Registered Member

dont add strange chemicals that will only kill the swimming ich, and create an imballance in your aquarium. try adding a few drops of garlic to the food they eat. it will encourage eatting and improve their immune system, 2 positives and its a natural remedy.

ddcengineering is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/06/2010, 10:52 AM   #9
mikew012343
Registered Member

yES RISE THEE TEMP TO 80 -85 THIS WILL CAUSE THE ICK TO MATURE INTO FREE SWIMING STAGE AND ADD GARLIC TO FOOD .MIX TOGHTHER IN A CONTAINER AND FEED .

mikew012343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/25/2010, 05:01 AM   #10
corde
Registered Member

Hi all,

I placed 4 nemos & 1 fire fish at once into my nano cube. A day later, spotted fire fish with white spots. 4 days later she is dead + spreading to my 4 nemos.

Being feeding them with fish food soaked in garlic solution since Day 1. Did pull out my fish and add iodine into QT for a couple of mins before placing them back into my nano cube. Casualities, 7 fishes (nemos, blue Tang, purple Tang, dottyback, etc) with the lastest on the list --> fire fish.

Does anyone has any idea how to treat ich?

Regards,
delie

Current Tank Info: Nano cube
corde is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/25/2010, 06:39 AM   #11
Yogre
Cheesehead Reefer

Quote:
Originally Posted by corde View Post
Hi all,

I placed 4 nemos & 1 fire fish at once into my nano cube. A day later, spotted fire fish with white spots. 4 days later she is dead + spreading to my 4 nemos.

Being feeding them with fish food soaked in garlic solution since Day 1. Did pull out my fish and add iodine into QT for a couple of mins before placing them back into my nano cube. Casualities, 7 fishes (nemos, blue Tang, purple Tang, dottyback, etc) with the lastest on the list --> fire fish.

Does anyone has any idea how to treat ich?

Regards,
delie
Hyposalinity and copper (Cupramine by SeaChem is a brand many use) are both proven ich treatments. Some have had success with chloroquine sulphate.

Other treatments are not guaranteed to work.

Current Tank Info: 215 gal TBS Reef
Yogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/25/2010, 09:53 AM   #12
krak256
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikew012343 View Post
yES RISE THEE TEMP TO 80 -85 THIS WILL CAUSE THE ICK TO MATURE INTO FREE SWIMING STAGE AND ADD GARLIC TO FOOD .MIX TOGHTHER IN A CONTAINER AND FEED .
do not listen to this. high temps are only effective on freshwater ich, not saltwater.

if you have sensitive fish that dont respond well to copper, i would use cryto-pro found here: http://www.fishyfarmacy.com/products.html

thats the suggestion i got from bob fenner on wet web media. used it on my tangs and worked great.

krak256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/25/2010, 12:37 PM   #13
Yogre
Cheesehead Reefer

Quote:
Originally Posted by krak256 View Post
do not listen to this. high temps are only effective on freshwater ich, not saltwater.

if you have sensitive fish that dont respond well to copper, i would use cryto-pro found here: http://www.fishyfarmacy.com/products.html

thats the suggestion i got from bob fenner on wet web media. used it on my tangs and worked great.
Thanks for that link, I bookmarked it. I'd been wondering where I could get my hands on the quinine product for my fishy medicine cabinet.

Current Tank Info: 215 gal TBS Reef
Yogre is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ich, porcupine, puffer, sick, trigger