Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/30/2007, 04:46 AM   #376
asnatlas
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Sparkss
Here is our manifold build thread from our old tank (I went much more simplfied with our new tank, mainly because I combined several components).

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...87#post7278387

It incorporates alot of what Jonathan was talking about as far as gate valves, etc.

HTH

Sparkss, thanks for the post, I rem seeing this when you first posted and a few times I tried to find it again, but was unable because I forgot who made it I don't think I will be going quite that complex with a manifold, but it does give me a few ideas I just need to figure out where I want to "splice" it into my return as I don't think it will work with I originally planned for it to go... I may have to take a few pics for suggestions to see what others have to say first and go from there...

Unread 05/30/2007, 04:49 AM   #377
asnatlas
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by clekchau
no reactor and the skimmer works great, it pulls about 3-5 gallons of thick green nog a day no exxageration. it's plumbed coming off of my external overflow. my parameters are perfect, my flow is great, i don't know what else to do
clekchau, how is your system looking now, do you still have the problem or did you find the cause ??

Quote:
Originally posted by jnarowe
it happens to the best of us. I have cyano in my fuge right now, and I believe it is due to combo of detritus built up in my sump, and a small amount of excess nutrients.
Same for you jnarowe ??

Unread 05/30/2007, 05:02 AM   #378
asnatlas
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by erics3000
Whooo..I finally read through this post. When I first started I didn't qt anything and lost all my fish through ick and almost quit. I am glad I stuck with it. It hurt a lot to loose the fish. I learned a lot and took it as a lesson. The only losses I have had lately were due to little jumping buggers. Now that I have found out about RC I am taking my time.

Glad you stuck with it. Your system looks great. I hope to see some updated pics.
erics3000, Thanks for taking the time to read over the thread... I hope it provided some useful info, if not maybe atleast some good entertainment

My QT is now a 100gal stock tank setup with a canister filter and a 55w UV installed on it that all fish will be going into for 6-8wks when they come into the house... If I feel a fish has something I will remove it from that QT and place it into a smaller tank and treat as needed... I plan on using 1/4" bird netting over the display and QT(s) to keep the jumpers from trying to surf...

Unread 05/30/2007, 09:22 AM   #379
jnarowe
Registered Member

Well, mine is gone. I just did some water changes and had the fuge lights out for 3 days. It totally cleared up and I am watching water quality very close. I still have more system cleaning to do, butu I just haven't had the time.

As far as that manifold posted by Tom, I can't quite understand why he installed all the true union BVs in front of the gate valves.

Here is an early shot of mine:

I think a gate valve with a union is about all that is needed. I suppose in Tom's case, he could service or replace a gate valve whereas I would run into trouble trying that.

The important thing here is the level at which the manifold is mounted, and the open line going to the fuge. That keeps the tank from back siphoning in the event of a power outage. Also, leaving room for expansion is a good idea too!

Current Tank Info: 70g fresh planted
jnarowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/06/2007, 06:23 AM   #380
Mr31415
Registered Member

asnatlas - great tank. I have not had time to read through your whole thread, but was wondering what thickness glass you have on the bottom of this tank?

Mr31415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/06/2007, 09:46 AM   #381
asnatlas
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr31415
asnatlas - great tank. I have not had time to read through your whole thread, but was wondering what thickness glass you have on the bottom of this tank?
The bottom and back are standard 3/4" float glass, the "front" and both sides are 3/4" Low Iron Diamante glass...

Unread 06/06/2007, 12:34 PM   #382
Sparkss
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jnarowe
Well, mine is gone. I just did some water changes and had the fuge lights out for 3 days. It totally cleared up and I am watching water quality very close. I still have more system cleaning to do, butu I just haven't had the time.

As far as that manifold posted by Tom, I can't quite understand why he installed all the true union BVs in front of the gate valves.

Here is an early shot of mine:

I think a gate valve with a union is about all that is needed. I suppose in Tom's case, he could service or replace a gate valve whereas I would run into trouble trying that.

The important thing here is the level at which the manifold is mounted, and the open line going to the fuge. That keeps the tank from back siphoning in the event of a power outage. Also, leaving room for expansion is a good idea too!
Actually the true union ball valves were more for being able to shut off a particular tap without losing my "tuning" with the gatevalve. That way I could turn a filter, etc on and off quickly and easily without needing to readjust the gatevalve very time I wanted to service a filter, tank, etc.

HTH explain the whys and what fors

EDIT : Where you used unions for connecting your pipes to the manifold, I used the quick connects to make it easier to swap pipes around. The male ends were threaded in 3/4", 1", etc sizes, and I ordered a couple of spares so that I could have, say, a fluidized bed reactor with GAC on standby in case I needed it and they just plug it into an open tap (or quickly swap out an existing "in use" connector), open it up and let er rip.

Current Tank Info: 380 starfire inwall ,two 150g sump/fuge. Volcano Ca RX, ato, 6' Volcano skimmer. LAIIIs w/400w AquaConnect 14K on IC EBallasts

Last edited by Sparkss; 06/06/2007 at 12:43 PM.
Sparkss is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/06/2007, 12:57 PM   #383
cbui2
Premium Member

look at those 1000watter, thats a beast.

Current Tank Info: 600gal 96L x 48W x 30H 1"cell cast w/tons of equipments
cbui2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/06/2007, 12:58 PM   #384
Mr31415
Registered Member

One last thing - is your tank supported underneath by a metal stand with center braces or is it standing flat on something like concrete?

Mr31415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/06/2007, 02:06 PM   #385
jnarowe
Registered Member

Well Tom, that does make sense about not having to re-tune the gate valves. Hadn't thought of that...you must be one seriously lazy reefer!!

Unread 06/06/2007, 02:09 PM   #386
cbui2
Premium Member

not me i love to retune everything all the times. you have to learn hands on

Unread 07/13/2007, 10:34 AM   #387
tomasz
Moved On

Any updates? New pictures?

tomasz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/30/2007, 06:32 AM   #388
asnatlas
Registered Member

AO tank came apart at the back seam...

Well I got up today to get ready for work and my wife said there was a rotten fishy smell in the basement a few minutes before when she went down to check on some clothes... I got up and went to check and sure enough water was on the floor and the frag tank water it almost white... and maybe close to 10" if water was missing from the display... I was keep thinking about any power issues or anything since Sat because I was down there and everything was fine... so it happened from Sat night on to this morning... After calling into work and telling them I was not able to make it in today I went back down and it looks like the seam gave way, from the way looks of it right now it seems to have been kinda a fast drain, not a burst or anything... But right now I am pretty much fooked... I think my fish days are vastly coming to an end... I can't deal with this crap... If it was not for bad luck, I would not have any luck at all...

Pics to follow...

Unread 07/30/2007, 08:14 AM   #389
pwhitby
Team RC Member

Hey Shawn, thats terrible.....Im really sorry.

keep us updated on whats happening there OK.

Paul.

Unread 07/30/2007, 10:00 AM   #390
cbui2
Premium Member

OMG thats crazy. how long its been setup?

Unread 07/30/2007, 12:33 PM   #391
melev
Moved On

I just looked through the 16 pages of this particular split. It looks like you put water in the tank last November. Is the tank under warranty by any chance?

I might have missed it, but I didn't see any pictures of the tank with livestock in it over the past 7 months. I'm very sorry to hear about the leak. Hopefully it can be mended.

melev is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/30/2007, 12:43 PM   #392
invincible569
Registered Member

Sorry to hear that. have you notifed AO?

invincible569 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/30/2007, 01:56 PM   #393
jnarowe
Registered Member

due, totally bummed to hear that especially after all the other issues you have had. Hopefully you can turn the corner.

Unread 07/30/2007, 03:53 PM   #394
Sparkss
Registered Member

this is one of those "reef keepers worse nightmares". We will be keeping our fingers crossed for you to be able to over come this and are very sorry to hear that it happened at all .

Current Tank Info: 380 starfire inwall ,two 150g sump/fuge. Volcano Ca RX, ato, 6' Volcano skimmer. LAIIIs w/400w AquaConnect 14K on IC EBallasts
Sparkss is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/30/2007, 05:30 PM   #395
Bax
Premium Member

That just sucks!

Current Tank Info: 150 DT/ 40B fuge/ 75g frag/ 40 g sump/ SRO XP 3000 Ext/ TUNZEs & VorTechs circulation/Dart return/ MTC Pro Cal/ UV & Oz
Bax is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/30/2007, 06:01 PM   #396
AcroSteve
Make my Funk a P-Funk

Ouch! You really have had some issues.

Good luck.

don't go ninjin' nobody that don't need ninjin'!

Current Tank Info: 220g custom plywood. SPS heavy with Sequence Hammerhead return with 4-Way OM. Tunze 6100, 6200 and Wavebox. 5000btu DIY Chiller. Lighting is 10K mh 250W / VHO Actinic Skimer - H&S A200-2x1260
AcroSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/30/2007, 06:32 PM   #397
CaveManNOhio
Registered Member

I wonder how much pressure was placed on the seams when you were getting that big tank down the basement stairs. I'm guessing that would be hard on a tanks seams.
Sorry about your luck.

Unread 07/30/2007, 08:38 PM   #398
cbui2
Premium Member

could you modified anything to hold the display together? just a thought, maybe strips of cardboard around all four corners then using tow straps to hold it in place.

Unread 07/31/2007, 05:23 AM   #399
clekchau
Premium Member

shawn... hang in there. keep us updated.

Unread 07/31/2007, 08:07 AM   #400
spazz
Awaiting Email Confirmation

what is the tank made from? glass or acrylic? if its made by a reputable company than they should warrantee there product. can you post a picture of the tank? if its acrylic than it might be able to be fixed. if its an inwall tank than i know it can be fixed. it may not look pretty but you can reglue the seam and then glue a strip over the seam to give it a stronger bond.

spazz is offline   Reply With Quote