Reef Central Online Community
Tunze USA

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Tank Journals & Builds
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 06/26/2017, 10:39 AM   #1
SchmittyG
Registered Member

SCHMITTY's 40g Nuvo Build

Well, well, well... Here we go! I got a new 40 gallon Nuvo tank from IM and so far Im so impressed! I bought 30lbs of cured live rock, 40lbs of sand, and a Tunze 9004 protein skimmer. Gutted my old tank and moved over the Mp10, a couple key pieces and most of the coral frags(Birds Nest, frogspawn, acan), a clown fish, a fire fish and two anemones and a hairy mushroom. Took most of my day Sunday to get it to where it is now, here's some photos. I plan to go home after work tonight and hook up the Apex, ATO, and doser etc...
40lbs of Sand

Spent the day before building some rock structures with glue and epoxy

First rock into the new tank... It's on!

Probes, heater and return pump already working right out the gates...

Loving the mesh top that's included with the Nuvo 40

Pesci the clown, looks lost. Hopefully he'll stay healthy and happy and find an anemone to host

Did someone say anemone? Rose is in there...

A bit cloudy and a lot of blue, day 1 is a wrap. More photos and updates coming soon...

Old 06/26/2017, 06:26 PM   #2
sphilli40
Registered Member

Did you not cycle the tank ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sphilli40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/26/2017, 06:52 PM   #3
SchmittyG
Registered Member

No, I put the water and rocks from my old tank in there and added some dr tims bacteria

Old 06/27/2017, 05:13 PM   #4
SchmittyG
Registered Member

It cleared up but too much actinic...

This ones a bit better. Ill work on my photos when I have more time. Pesci seems to be ONE happy fish, the fire fish is still shocked I think...

Old 06/27/2017, 08:06 PM   #5
thaitopher
Registered Member

I am looking at maybe buying a 40 gallon NUVO too. Also looking at the JBJ 45. You like the NUVO?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

thaitopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/28/2017, 09:32 AM   #6
SchmittyG
Registered Member

So far I love it! Not even a week in, I think I need to get a shorter heater for the sump but other then that, its such a nice tank. Looks very clean and has a lot of room in the sump area for all my needs really. DO IT!

Old 06/28/2017, 12:44 PM   #7
SchmittyG
Registered Member

So thinking fish to stock the tank with and I dont wanna go over 4 or 5. Here's a list of early contenders, what you all think?

Flame Hawkfish
Goby(watchman or yasha)pairing with shrimp
Six line wrasse
Yellow Corris wrasse
Royal Gramma
add a second Clown

Old 06/30/2017, 10:42 AM   #8
SchmittyG
Registered Member

I took some photos last night but realized too late that I gotta change the return so I dont get all the bubbles making it look like it's snowing in there...

No green, just Acan...

Hairy Mushroom, keep it green...

Frogspawn looking for a rebound...

My Duncans are always happy, feels like the easiest coral to keep...

Glued a Birds Nest frag in the back towards the top of the tank, cant wait to see this baby grow...

Old 07/17/2017, 03:43 PM   #9
SchmittyG
Registered Member

Got a new clown to give Pesci some company, any suggestions on a name?

Also added my first zoa frag to the tank, really hoping to see it grow and not disappear...

Anemone is a friend indeed, looks like my RBT is bouncing back and beginning to smile...

And I frag'd my old Birds Nest and got rid of the dead areas, glued this piece toward to top in the middle, hope to see it fill in some of that area nicely...

Also added 4 Trochus snails, still dialing in my calcium and alk doser but Im getting close. Just increased the light intensity by 5%.