Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 05/15/2016, 12:17 PM   #126
Kolkri
Registered Member

I did a black out and there is very little algae left. I can live with it. Besides the CUC needs something to munch on.
I am really enjoying watching the flame hawkfish. He is just so cool. So far he is my most expensive fish. I am up to five fish now.

Current Tank Info: 29 gallon coralife bio cube with Superlux lighting
Kolkri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/15/2016, 02:40 PM   #127
j_mazzy
Registered Member

Howdy, I need a little advice. I've never worked with these but I am moving to sps in a tank. I have a rio 8hf that I would like to install to increase the flow size. However the outlet is much larger diameter than the stock pump so I cant use the stock tube (unless maybe I stretch it???). If I go with the correct tube size it wont fit the outlet at the top as it will be too big.

Suggestions?

j_mazzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/15/2016, 05:11 PM   #128
Kolkri
Registered Member

I really can't help you. I used the pump that came with the tank and added a power-head on the right side in the tank for more water movement.

Old 05/15/2016, 05:15 PM   #129
j_mazzy
Registered Member

I have 2 pumps in there as I am going sps HOWEVER, if I can turn more water out through the main pump it should surface skim faster and have much more contact with the chamber media.

Old 05/15/2016, 05:40 PM   #130
Kolkri
Registered Member

Sounds like you know what your doing. Did not realize SPS needed more filtration. But my stuff is mostly soft with a couple LPS thrown in.

Old 05/15/2016, 08:48 PM   #131
j_mazzy
Registered Member

I appreciate your willingness to help. I am just assuming that someone here has changed the stock pump and wanted to know what they did for the tubing hook up.

How is your tank running these days?

Old 05/16/2016, 11:02 AM   #132
Kolkri
Registered Member

Many people do upgrade their stuff. But I am keeping mine as simple as possible. Other then adding the power head I also got superlux for my lights. Oh and I got an ATO seems to make the tank happier with it. No more salt level swings. Good luck with your set up.

Old 05/17/2016, 06:12 AM   #133
homer1475
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by j_mazzy View Post
I appreciate your willingness to help. I am just assuming that someone here has changed the stock pump and wanted to know what they did for the tubing hook up.

How is your tank running these days?

Sorry for the hijack Kolkri....

The sicce syncra 1.5 is a nice upgrade to the stock pump(just slightly more GPH). Just go to lowes or HD and pickup some 1/2" ID tubing, any will work.

Biocube Build Thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2499945

Nothing in this hobby happens fast!
homer1475 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05/17/2016, 11:16 AM   #134
Kolkri
Registered Member

Not a problem. Glad you had an answer for him.

Old 05/22/2016, 10:48 AM   #135
Kolkri
Registered Member

My hawkfish died today. Was fine yesterday. But now dead.

Old 07/14/2016, 01:17 PM   #136
Kolkri
Registered Member

Order some plants. If they take over they take over. But they are suppose to be slow growing except the cheato. Every single day I am pulling out algae and never get it all. Only a couple of corals are growing. The rest never change. So going to add plants.
I got a couple in the back middle space. I got them last week. Cheato and water lettuce. I just have no patience for that ugly algae. So if I am growing plants I want pretty ones.

Old 07/14/2016, 01:25 PM   #137
Kolkri
Registered Member

I am thinking of moving everything from this tank back to the 14 gallon.

Old 07/14/2016, 03:18 PM   #138
ReefinChicago
Registered Member

A few questions for you:

1. Do you have an updated fts?

2. What are your water parms? The chaeto will help, but you need to give it time. I should've taken a before pic on my Finnex 22. Rocks were covered, floating algae, etc. but my water parms were good, and I wasn't putting a lot of nutrients into the water, so when I pulled the algae and added a CUC it wasn't coming back. My point here is that you have the algae for a reason. Just going back to the 14 without changing husbandry won't help.

3. Have you bumped the water change amount back up? When my old 30 was doing well I was religious about a 10% water change every week. I saw earlier you had to cut back there. If that's an issue, then downsizing would be a good thing.

Good luck with this. Don't give up, keep working on the cause of the algae. Too much food? Stuff dying? If you can work that out you can make this tank work.

ReefinChicago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/14/2016, 05:03 PM   #139
Kolkri
Registered Member

and I did. One to many fish but with five gallons a week water changes it should be alright.

Last edited by Kolkri; 07/14/2016 at 05:13 PM.
Old 03/12/2017, 01:27 PM   #140
Kolkri
Registered Member

Resetting this one back up. Well get a couple pictures once it settles. WIsh me luck.

Old 03/12/2017, 05:08 PM   #141
Kolkri
Registered Member

Ill get more in a few days when the corals are happy again. It could not be h elped some gravel was still in the rocks but it well come out in the next few water changes.
IMG_1511[2] by Angela Reeves, on Flickr

Last edited by Kolkri; 03/12/2017 at 05:15 PM.
Old 03/12/2017, 09:53 PM   #142
Kolkri
Registered Member

Smile

Tried to edit to shrink the picture.

Old 03/13/2017, 06:20 AM   #143
homer1475
Registered Member

In all honesty, and this may come off a bit harsh, but totally not intending to. So sorry in advance.

In 2 years you have moved tanks what 3 times(between this thread and the other)? added rock, removed rock, added fish, killed fish, added coral, killed coral, tried this or that a bunch of times, and have been all over the place.

What you really need to do is slow down, and I do mean slow way down. Nothing good in this hobby happens fast. The first year of any new tank is just getting it stable, by not keep adding and taking away thing.

This is not the FW hobby. Stop treating it like it is.

FWIW some of my coral have been in my tank for 2 years and have just started to grow, and yet others have exploded in growth. Some corals are just slow growers and need to get used to the STABILITY in your tank, which IMO your not providing stability.

EDIT to add:
My current tank and old biocube didn't even begin to "take off" until I learned to keep my hands out of, and off of the tank. I test every 10 days, weekly WC's, daily feeding, daily additions of 2 part via automated pumps, and thats it. Other then to pickup a frag plug, or right a snail, I never put my hands in the tank anymore.

And again sorry if this post comes off as a bit harsh, I did not intend it to be, but rather informative.

Biocube Build Thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2499945

Nothing in this hobby happens fast!

Last edited by homer1475; 03/13/2017 at 06:27 AM.
homer1475 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03/13/2017, 08:52 AM   #144
Kolkri
Registered Member

I get what your saying. And your right I don't have a ton of patience. But I am not giving up.
The 14 gallon has been up 7 months and coral was doing so well I had to sell a few cuttings.
In my case cause of the type corals I like the less water changes did the trick. I found that out when I was away for two week. So I feel confident with moving to the bigger tank.
Thank you so much for your honesty.

Last edited by Kolkri; 03/13/2017 at 09:11 AM.
Old 03/14/2017, 11:50 AM   #145
Kolkri
Registered Member

My goby is fine out and about. All corals look great except my pineapple tree. But it is early yet. Seen my emerald crab three times yesterday. Royal Gramma is still hiding in the caves. I think they are going to love having all that swimming room.

Old 07/16/2017, 11:55 AM   #146
Kolkri
Registered Member

IMG_2072 by Angela Reeves, on Flickr

Last edited by Kolkri; 07/16/2017 at 12:26 PM. Reason: To make picture fit better.
Old 07/17/2017, 08:36 AM   #147
ReefWreak
Registered Member

Looks great. Everything seems happy and healthy. A little algae, but it happens.

ReefWreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/17/2017, 04:20 PM   #148
Kolkri
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReefWreak View Post
Looks great. Everything seems happy and healthy. A little algae, but it happens.
It use to be worse so hoping it well continue to recede.

Old 08/02/2017, 09:00 AM   #149
Kolkri
Registered Member

Added two fish and the algae went bonkers. So going to be cleaning stuff off today and a water change.

Old 08/09/2017, 10:51 AM   #150
Kolkri
Registered Member

IMG_1326 by Angela Reeves, on FlickrIMG_1325 by Angela Reeves, on FlickrIMG_1324 by Angela Reeves, on FlickrIMG_1323 (2) by Angela Reeves, on Flickr