Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/25/2017, 10:57 AM   #1
kensmith
Registered Member

Sump Flow

Hi all, I am planning out my first reef tank. I've decided on a 65 gallon with a 20 gallon long sump. I've done a lot of reading on flow and how vital it is for the success of a reef tank. Many folks say that 3X-5X total DT volume is suffice. I've calculated my head pressure to be 6'. Some have said that I need to account for total system volume (sump+tank) while others just say to account for DT volume to determine my GPH requirement. I've also heard that for a reef, 10X total system volume is the magic number for flow. I've also read that powerheads in the tank can supplement this number - but are these not for circulation just within the tank? What have you guys found success with in your set ups in regards to return pumps? Also looking for reccomendations on some good quality pumps.

Merry Christmas all!

Cheers!

Ken.

kensmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/25/2017, 11:23 AM   #2
Cheapreef
Registered Member

You want 3-5X DT volume through the sump.

The flow in the DT is a different topic all together and doesn't normally include your return pump flow unless it's very high. It all depends on what your keeping for tank flow. I run my DT at approx 70X DT volume, SPS need the high flow.

Cheapreef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/25/2017, 11:53 AM   #3
RobZilla04
Registered Member

Powerhead flow counts. Live rock is a vital part of the system filtration thus the flow in the DT is moving the water through and around the rock.

As for the return pump, youll max out the amount of water that can drain from the tank to the sump. If warer is returning to the DT faster than it can drain youll suck the sump dry. With that in mind its best to run a DC pump so flow rate is adjustable. I like running pumps between 40-60 %. A ball valve on the return line is also beneficial to create additional head pressure as the pumps run better with some bavk pressure. A valve isnt a must if there sufficient travel distance and/eblows to create this pressure.

Assuming youll have just one line returning water, a 8000-12000gph DC pump will be more than sufficient.

Unread 12/28/2017, 08:36 PM   #4
kensmith
Registered Member

Thanks for the advice folks. I've been looking at the Ecotech pumps, they look pretty awesome. Now, if I'm looking at 3-5X or even up too 10X flow (not including power heads in the tank), I'm looking at 195-650GPH. If running a DC pump at 40-60% is recommended, the Vectra M1 from Ecotech will do the trick, its pricey but I don't want to mess around with this :P

Thanks!

Unread 12/29/2017, 05:24 AM   #5
RobZilla04
Registered Member

For the most part DC pumps are "you get what you pay for." On the other hand they are mostly made using parts from the same origin. A return pump is definitely one place that you don't wanna skimp out on, but many have success with the "off" brands.

Consider your plumbing carefully when setting up the return line. It is beneficial to "T" off a line (or two) with a ball valve for potential future use. I redid my return line to branch off for a UV Sterilizer.

Unread 12/29/2017, 06:10 AM   #6
on the spot
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kensmith View Post
...if I'm looking at 3-5X or even up too 10X flow, I'm looking at 195-650GPH...
The X amount through the sump isn't that important.
the more you go through an hour the louder it gets.

The more important question is how do you plan to get the DT water into the sump in the first place.
Simple stand pipe drain? corner overflow? drilled back with a coast to coast?
Durso?
Herbie?
Bean?

These questions will help decide what you want in a return.
as an example only, not to be considered a recommendation, a 1½" stand pipe into a typical 1" bulkhead will gurgle like a drunken sailor much over 100 GPH.
you could use a maxijet 1200 for your return.

Decide on the drain first.
We can always help spend your money later.

HTH

on the spot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/29/2017, 10:43 AM   #7
kensmith
Registered Member

I plan on using a 1" standpipe to drain into the sump, and have Incorporated unions for future modifications and a gate valve. I noticed folks like to use rubber hose and barbed adapters to reduce vibration instead of plumbing with PVC?

Tags
flow, return pump, sump advice