Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > The Fish Breeding Forum
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/28/2018, 04:34 PM   #26
gogo7
pico reefer

wow kiz....the difference in size is crazy...what are you feeding?
theyre beautiful animals....i really am jealous up here.... i wanna do dwarves, but theyre extremely hard to get here.
congrats .....i love the pics

gogo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/28/2018, 07:03 PM   #27
kizanne
Registered Member

That picture was only at 15 days. It was the only side by side I had.

The other picture is new. They are now 32 days.

I fed them copepods and baby brine in the beginning. I'm still feeding brine. I often let some brine grow a few days, I'm still using baby brine but I"m working on weaning them over to golden pearls.

Current Tank Info: 120 gallon seahorse/flame angel/sharknose/pipefish tank. 30 gallon grow out, misc. other tanks
kizanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/29/2018, 11:06 AM   #28
Jonvo324
Registered Member

I would love to be able to breed seahorses one day. Seeing your setup is really inspiring.

Do you think there's a specific copepod species that would be best to raise seahorse fry, or would baby bribe shrimp suffice in your opinion?

Jonvo324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/29/2018, 02:09 PM   #29
kizanne
Registered Member

Well mine are parvocalanus and tisbe. Just because I have those in large numbers. Also I'm using the san francisco baby brine which are smaller.

I have read many just use baby brine shrimp but I've also read about high mortality rates.
I haven't purchased any books specific to seahorses but do have a couple breeding books.

I put in the copepods because I have them and they are superior nutrition. That also hold their nutrition if not eaten right away better than baby brine.

The other reason which I don't know if true or not. Someone else dissected their dead babies and found compacted brine shrimp exoskeletons in their digestive tract and postulated that brine over 3 hours oldish had hardened shells that contributed to the mortality. This same person believed after 3 days their digestive tract was then able to better handle the brine.

Things I know. My first batch I used brine the next day the babies were all dead. Not sure why but I suspect it was an ammonia spike or oxygen drop from the green water.

2nd batch I used a lot of parvocalanus because I only had a few brine hatch that day. Babies all made it for quite a while healthy and that batch is at about 50% mortality but mostly due to gas bubble disease and a rust getting in their water / water change incident.

3rd batch I used a lot of tisbe and brine lost them overnight. Again I believe due to ammonia and oxygen but MAYBE the too many tisbe adults.

4th batch happened 3/27 and I used a lot of parvo and too much brine. They were born during the day went through the overflow (most) had hours that they didn't have much to eat. Fished them out early evening. Too much brine (there were still tons of brine this morning), some t-iso and parvo. Only day 2 but so far only lost 2 which I think is awesome given their beginning.

I think you could easily raise some seahorses. You have to remember that nice picture in the beginning is my 'grow out' tank, I haven't even used that yet. Right now it is full of nannocloropsis and tisbe copepods.

When they are first born I put them in a 1.5 gallon plastic bin so that I can concentrate the food and make water changes easier. I use prime also. unheated room temp. I have added an air stone to help reduce the chance of gas bubble.

Then so far the next stage is a 7 gallon bin (dish bin for restaurants). Unheated room temp.

Now they are in the divided 20 gallon which I think they will be able to stay there for a while. I have it divided because was for another project but this allows the heater to be away from the babies. and I can concentrate the food in 10 gallons but have 20 gallons for stability. I also have more chaeto on the heater side to process waste. I'll be stocking it with tisbe copepods this weekend as well.

So when I say easy, I don't mean cheap I doubt I'll ever make much money though I'm getting more efficient. I spend about 2 hours a day during the week and more on the weekend but that is for all my tanks, copepods, microalgae and such.

Current Tank Info: 120 gallon seahorse/flame angel/sharknose/pipefish tank. 30 gallon grow out, misc. other tanks
Unread 03/29/2018, 05:44 PM   #30
Jonvo324
Registered Member

Thank you for the detailed reply. I hope I will be able to raise seahorse fry in the future. Good luck with yours!

Jonvo324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/13/2018, 06:06 AM   #31
kizanne
Registered Member

Well I have the oldest set on dead food, I think. I have 12 or so left and I haven't fed that tank anything but dead food for 5 days. I'm feeding a mix of Ocean Pearls, ROE, tigger feast.

Newest batch happened yesterday sometime. I fished them out of the sump at 7 pm when I got home. The last two batches have been during the day instead of the morning. The last batch which was a sump batch is now 15 days old and only two dead so I guess the overflow ride didn't bother them too much.

Unread 04/18/2018, 11:16 AM   #32
Pdisner
Registered Member

Hi,
I’ve been following this thread for s little bit. I need some assistance. This Thursday the 20, I will be adopting 3 Erectus. I currently am working on conditioning several species of marine ornamentals, to include clownfish and some inverts (peppermint an pistol). I was wanting to find a group of people to collaborate with, trade ideas, but especially information. As we all know there’s not a huge amount of info out there on breeding. It’s pretty much been locked up tight until recently.
I have been aggressively pursuing this for about a year now. I’ve collected a lot of good information, but still need a lot. I am a member of MBI site.org, but there doesn’t seem to be a lot of activity there at the moment. There is good information but you have to look for it. There are a lot of reading profiles on a number of species, in case you have not seen that site.
Anyhow, I need some general information and some direction on where I can find some good information on the erectus. I have a FAcebook site with a lot of cool pics and video of the stuff I’ve been up to the last few months. Please check it out. I will of course now be adding pics, video and information in the form of articles, links, etc.
Please feel free to contact me thru FB messenger or PM. FB is quicker as I don’t always get notified of my PMs.
Thanks for putting up the saga of your breeding. There’s not enough of that here on the forums.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pdisner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/18/2018, 11:23 AM   #33
Pdisner
Registered Member

Oh and just to give my opinion....Tigger Pods are an excellent form of nutrition, and If the nauplii are fed to young fish or in this case horses, they have the BEST chance of making it thru. I just saved a clutch of Banggai Cardinals with live Tiggers. I breed them to sell adults and so I’m able to collect the nauplii for my babies. It’s in a lot of pier review papers and I have spoken with Chad Clayton of Reed Mariculture, home of the original “Tigger Pods”. Out of all the species of copepods, Tiggers have the best nutritional profile. When fed to fry/larvae, they get all the essential fatty acids, carotenoids etc. The highest concentration. They are much better to make it they the difficult growing periods and/or stresssful events such as diseases, or external stressors like water quality.

Unread 04/18/2018, 11:58 AM   #34
Pdisner
Registered Member

Sorry my FB page is @paulsPodsAZ. Here’s some video of the baby Cardinals I was talking about. Also some footage of some of my Tig. Pods.
https://youtu.be/hOEeh3Y2wyc

Tigger Pods
https://youtu.be/UTOqw7XdCTs

And lastly here’s some video of peppermint shrimp Zoea of different stages.

Again, please get ahold of me Facebook messenger or PM. Thanks for watching my videos. Feel free to share, I do want the credit tho.

Unread 04/18/2018, 12:00 PM   #35
Pdisner
Registered Member

Oops last video should be his one! Sorry guys....

Unread 04/20/2018, 08:51 PM   #36
kizanne
Registered Member

Here's the corral going to bed. That's an air line tube. They have grown so much bigger but are still small.

The oldest batch ( not in picture). Is now officially weaned to prepared foods.

Last edited by kizanne; 04/21/2018 at 03:50 PM.
Unread 04/22/2018, 11:45 AM   #37
kizanne
Registered Member

Very excited my LFS display tank has some large Bangaii with the male holding. He never gets the babies but he's willing to let me try and get the babies. He just got eggs so it will be 3 weeks or so til babies but I really like bangaii and their easy to raise.

I lost my adults and don't currently have a tank to put more adults in, so babies from here would be awesome. I wish my LFS was like Kathy's and got in pregnant pipefish. I really want to do some pipefish babies.

I'm also sad I think I lost my Parvocalanus culture

Last edited by kizanne; 04/23/2018 at 06:51 AM.
Unread 04/22/2018, 12:14 PM   #38
kizanne
Registered Member

So I'm looking for someone who wants to be part of a trial. I have read that fish survive just fine in two day shipping. I want to test this out. So I need someone who is in my two day fedex or USPS zone that wants some babies. (these are weaned on to cyclopods so they won't need baby brine and they are like 8 weeks old or so). I currently feed them only prepared foods. But they do need small foods, and eventually will need to be weaned onto what ever you feed your fish. They won't be suitable for a reef tank (ever) and in the end will need a minimum of a 30 gallon. Right now they could probably do fine in a 2-5 gallon container. I have 15 in a 10 gallon with lots of extra space.

Unread 04/27/2018, 07:44 AM   #39
kizanne
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pdisner View Post
Sorry my FB page is @paulsPodsAZ. Here’s some video of the baby Cardinals I was talking about. Also some footage of some of my Tig. Pods.

Tigger Pods

Again, please get ahold of me Facebook messenger or PM. Thanks for watching my videos. Feel free to share, I do want the credit tho.

I don't have facebook but the videos are cool. I love baby bangaii. I only got to raise one batch. I lost the adults to hurricanes.

I don't currently have a tank that is suitable for bangaii. I too raise tigger pods. I use parvo for the seahorses and baby brine but I have tiggers I raise and put in the parent tank for the seahorses and the mandarin and the pipefish. I also raise tisbe pods and put them everywhere. I agree that pods are superior nutrition.

I sell some extra to my LFS.

I'm currently over at MBI it does have some excellent resources but not a lot of participation. I've been here for a long time but might switch to another forrum and try to get traction for breeding somewhere because the rules for selling here are very strict on fish and lax on frags. Which fish are much harder to raise and when you do of course you have more than one to get rid of. But I've always like RC so...

Unread 04/27/2018, 11:09 AM   #40
Hodad2
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pdisner View Post

Tigger Pods

Sorry guys, here’s the video on peppermint shrimp to share. I was able to capture these videos using a cheap vivitar add on lenses for 7$ at Walmart https://youtu.be/E4sGFUQYWAI

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hodad2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/27/2018, 11:12 AM   #41
Hodad2
Registered Member

Sorry for the technical difficulties this morning! Here’s the video I was trying to get to you.
Paul (pdisner)

https://youtu.be/E4sGFUQYWAI

Unread 04/30/2018, 07:41 AM   #42
kizanne
Registered Member

Well he let some loose yesterday and another 70 ish this morning. So this batch is about 100. The last batch has some very interesting blond babies. Very light. Moved my 2nd oldest batch in with the oldest and working on weaning them to frozen/ocean pearls. I also use Reed ROE as well.

Unread 06/04/2018, 01:11 PM   #43
Hodad2
Registered Member

100 babies??? Man, I need your help. I just had huge die off, I believe from Hydroids!! I’m so mad and sad lol. I lost like 7. I really need your help. 2 of my last 3have the baby bump. But I’m feeling like I. Going to loose the other three and want the situation that you have goin on. What do I do? Help!

Unread 06/30/2018, 03:26 PM   #44
Flybynight
Registered Member

Any updates?

Unread 07/01/2018, 12:00 PM   #45
kizanne
Registered Member

He let loose more babies last week. I've been taking them to school and some went to a summer camp last week. They travel well when small. The oldest are now eating mini mysid. The size difference is amazing.

I switched jobs a few weeks ago so my summer is not as open as I originally thought it was going to be.

Unread 07/01/2018, 12:44 PM   #46
Flybynight
Registered Member

Work plays a big roll in this hobby. I had 7 seahorse about 6 years ago and they started breeding. I started working a lot and donated them to a friend. I have missed them so much I set up a another beside my 180. Are you still looking for a home for some of yours?

Unread 07/01/2018, 06:19 PM   #47
kizanne
Registered Member

Aye I am specifically looking to try shipping though it is a bit hot for that now

Unread 07/01/2018, 07:18 PM   #48
Flybynight
Registered Member

I am not sure how your wanting to ship them but I can send you shipping supplies, bags, rubber bands, cold packs and maybe even oxygen.

Unread 07/11/2018, 09:20 PM   #49
kizanne
Registered Member

Well another hurdle passed. Manage to ship FedEx Ground and have them arrive alive with good temp. I was holding my breath. So glad they made it.

Unread 07/11/2018, 09:52 PM   #50
Flybynight
Registered Member

They are happy and eating like crazy. I had went and got them 2000 live copepods just to make sure.