Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/05/2018, 12:47 PM   #1
Just_Dave
Registered Member

Knop S IV Calcium Reactor - Repair or Replace?

I've been using a Knop S IV calcium reactor for my 300-gallon reef tank for about 15 years now but am wondering if there aren't better options available.

On the plus side, the integrated EHEIM pump is still chugging along and I like that it's quiet. I also like that it's rated for up to 600 gallons.

However, the unit fizzles out every so often and I don't typically notice until corals are shriveling - typically, either the CO2 isn't delivering or the feeder tube is clogged. And getting the CO2 bubble count right is always a hit-or-miss proposition - I don't know that the pH monitor and automatic valve setup has ever worked properly, which is to say that I've never seen the valve closed, even after the CO2 has overinflated the system.

Now, after a prolonged outage (and 15 years of more-or-less constant use), the media in the buffering chamber has turned dark and I see no way to replace it without physically breaking the plastic tube open and gluing it back together. [The unit came without a manual, so if there's a secret to opening 'er up, I'm clueless.] I'd order a replacement but can find no source for parts. Is the company even around anymore?

Does anyone know how I can fix 'er up?

Can anyone recommend a superior alternative - maybe something a bit more reliable?

Any advice is appreciated.

Just_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/05/2018, 11:23 PM   #2
fishyguy7
Registered Member

Can’t help on taking yours apart but GEO reactors are pretty bullet proof. So are many others but I only have experience with GEO. Match that with either a carbon doser regulator or a high quality one and you are set.

fishyguy7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/08/2018, 09:55 AM   #3
Just_Dave
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishyguy7 View Post
Can’t help on taking yours apart but GEO reactors are pretty bullet proof. So are many others but I only have experience with GEO. Match that with either a carbon doser regulator or a high quality one and you are set.
Those look like good recommendations. Unlike the Knops, I'm seeing plenty of reviews and how-to videos online, which is reassuring.

Thank you!

Just_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/20/2018, 12:13 AM   #4
tkeracer619
Registered Member

May be time for a new reactor. Look into the masterflex setup. This will resolve the issues you are currently seeing.

Could you post some pics of your current setup? You could probably send some vinegar through the unit to clean it up.

tkeracer619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/20/2018, 12:15 AM   #5
tkeracer619
Registered Member

This is the thread that describes the setup. First few posts will explain it. This is the most stable setup you can make.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=2368618

tkeracer619 is offline   Reply With Quote