Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/07/2018, 11:24 AM   #1
BrettDS
Registered Member

Replace a Jebao DC-12000 with a COR-20?

I have a 220G tank with about 300G of water in the system. I have been using two jebao DC-12000 pumps as my return. They are each plumbed with a separate run to both the DT and a 20G frag tank. (So each pump is connected to its own manifold that feeds both the DT and the frag tank) This is for fault tolerance. The pumps are connected to the VDC ports on my apex and I run them at 90%

Unfortunately one of the pumps failed this morning, but luckily because I have two pumps the system can run indefinitely on the remaining pump (albeit at a lower flow rate than I prefer) so I’m not desperately scrambling to get the tank back up and running.

So now I’m trying to evaluate options to replace the failed pump (or maybe both pumps). The COR pumps didn’t exist at the time I installed the DC-12000 pumps nearly 3 years ago, but I’m pretty well entrenched in the apex ecosystem and it would be nice to use the apex return pumps as well.

However I am a bit concerned about flow rates. I’ve got about 6 feet of head and according to the chart the DC-12000 can move about 1850GPH there. I’m only running them at 90%, so that’s brings it down to around 1665GPH. However, the chart for the COR-20 puts it at about 1300GPH at 6 feet of head.

That said, I really don’t believe the head pressure charts for the Chinese pumps. From my experience they tend to exaggerate at best or maybe outright lie, so I doubt that I’m really getting 1665GPH from my DC-12000’s.

Is the chart for COR-20’s reasonably accurate? Has anyone replaced a DC-12000 with a COR-20 and can speak to a flow rate comparison?

Thanks much,
Brett

BrettDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/07/2018, 12:19 PM   #2
mcgyvr
Registered Member

The tests I saw shows that the Jebao dc data is accurate enough..
You only need about 1000gph total on your system for return pump flow

Unread 10/07/2018, 06:44 PM   #3
boshk
Registered Member

My message is probably not really relevant to you since its not really about the flow rates but when you compare Jecod vs Neptune, the price difference is night and day.

I know there are 2 schools of thought about 'chinese' pumps but according to you, yours lasted 3yrs, whether its luck or genuine 'good' quality, its was probably the lowest $/yr cost.

Quick look on BRS, COR20 is $325, DCT12000 is $110 on Amazon.

Your idea of dual return pumps is brilliant, I would say, IF you have no problems with the 12000 for the last 3 yrs in terms of noise, flow rate, usage, etc etc.....then get another TWO, one for spare in case the other fails, it still comes out cheaper than COR20.

If you are full apex connected and want to try something new which may last 5-10yrs because its 'branded' and money is no issue.....there are so many choices for you.
Neptune COR20
Reef Octo VarioS 6 I believe
Vectra L1
Bubble King

I wish I can somehow plumb a dual return to my planned Red Sea or Waterbox 100-130g, that redundancy would be so nice

Current Tank Info: Reefer 170
boshk is offline   Reply With Quote