Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Invert and Plant Forums > Other Invertebrates
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/14/2018, 08:59 AM   #1
Mryin
Registered Member

Inverts dying, why?

Hey RC members! I’m new to salt and my tank has been up for almost a year. Recently added some turbo snails, emerald crab, scarlet hermits, and a scarlet cleaner shrimp to my EXISTING clean up crew. Existing CUC is snails and hermits from reefcleaners. After about 2 weeks of adding them I’ve lost all 5 turbos, 4 newly added hermits, and my shrimp. Hermits were out of there shells dead. Shrimp was just dead, no bite marks or injury, and all 5turbos were just dead as well, still inside there shells. What could be causing this? Ammonia and nitrate readings are 0s. Water temp is 78. Running a skimmer and power heads, and HOB for Seagel and a seeding sponge. The shrimp died the day after adding Seagel in my HOB but was eating well. I fed it Prime Reef Flakes during tank feedings. The other inverts died before adding Seagel. All fish are doing well. I don’t know if it’s the Emerald killing them off at night but none have had any visible injuries except the hermits outta there shells.

I’m clueless

Unread 03/14/2018, 09:45 AM   #2
alcimedes
Registered Member

No blobs of snot near the dead inverts?

alcimedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/14/2018, 01:26 PM   #3
Mryin
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcimedes View Post
No blobs of snot near the dead inverts?
Not that I saw. What the heck would that be?

Unread 03/15/2018, 01:36 PM   #4
alcimedes
Registered Member

There's a type of worm, oeneda fulgida (sp?) that only eats inverts. They only come out at night, and they retract at the slightest amount of light or vibration, so are often very hard to see.

The one clue they routinely leave behind though is a tell tale blob of mucus surrounding the dead invert. (which is how they suffocate/paralyze their prey)

If you start losing inverts for no obvious reason and see globs of what looks like snot near the empty shells, that's your likely culprit.

alcimedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/15/2018, 02:04 PM   #5
Mryin
Registered Member

Hmmm. That’s something I will defiantly look for next time but no snot blobs here.

Unread 03/29/2018, 09:42 AM   #6
Monkeyfish
Registered Member

Were all inverts bought from the same place/time? Shipped or LFS? Might have been a "bad batch." How did you acclimate them to the tank?

"One thing that humbles me deeply is to see that human genius has its limits while human stupidity does not."

Current Tank Info: Taking a break
Monkeyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/29/2018, 10:21 AM   #7
Djbeasley05
Registered Member

My turbos started dying starting with the largest one. Took me a while to realize there wasn’t enough of a food source until I put seaweed in for them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Djbeasley05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/29/2018, 06:19 PM   #8
Mryin
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeyfish View Post
Were all inverts bought from the same place/time? Shipped or LFS? Might have been a "bad batch." How did you acclimate them to the tank?
They were were LA.

Unread 03/29/2018, 06:20 PM   #9
Mryin
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djbeasley05 View Post
My turbos started dying starting with the largest one. Took me a while to realize there wasn’t enough of a food source until I put seaweed in for them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Exactly was I was thinking but there is plenty of hair algae to eat. Oh how I hate hair algae

Unread 04/04/2018, 12:42 AM   #10
Vmazz
Registered Member

What’s the specific gravity in the tank?.

Vmazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/02/2018, 02:36 PM   #11
Maggie321
Registered Member

What's your magnesium read? I hear high mag will kill inverts. I had a few die and through research and conversation found that out...and I tested. Mine was between 1650 and 1800. I never dose it, just that batch of salt had high mag. Good luck. Let us know.

Maggie

Maggie321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/02/2018, 09:14 PM   #12
mndfreeze
Invert Sexy Time!

I suspect something in the water. Time to do a big water change IMO and bring your water in to a local LFS for an extensive test if you don't have a good testing kit at home.

Also when you added in the inverts, did you drip acclimate them? Did you make sure the salt gravity was the same? Snails are actually pretty sensitive to water changes like most inverts are. Most people don't drip or float them but they also end up getting a lot of die off and it doesn't happen right away. Sometimes it takes a week.

mndfreeze is offline   Reply With Quote