Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/17/2007, 05:13 PM   #26
Doe
Registered Member

i temporarily have mine hooked to a feed pump but i plan to gravity feed it. I overflow into a filter sock so my thinking is that it would be better to get some organics skimmed out before they get caught in my filter sock. Also like the fact of having one less thing plugged in causing heat.

Doe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/17/2007, 08:03 PM   #27
SaraB
Coral Killer

Not sure if you can technically join the club again, so let's just call it H&S Addiction

Here's what came today to replace my ASM G3. I went with a 200x1260 since I'm running a LPS tank and don't really need a heavy duty recirculating skimmer. The system is not overloaded, so this one will suit me fine.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Here's a shot of my other H&S skimmer, the A250 that I feed with a Eheim 1260 rather than direct feeding.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Unread 10/17/2007, 08:38 PM   #28
javajaws
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Capt. Nemo
The general consenus is that a skimmer will perform better and produce more skimmate if it is gravity fed versus pump/powerhead fed. Can someone explain to me why?
The theory (and to me that's all it is) is that if you feed from a pump you allow the skimmed water to re-stratify in the sump...so you are in effect not skimming the most polluted parts of the water. By skimming directly from the overflow you guarantee every bit of the surface pollutants go through the skimmer (or go through more often/sooner/etc.).

IMO, if you skim minimally or use an undersized skimmer this might make a difference. But I think for most of us you'll never notice a difference.

For me, I like using a pump because I have a wall switch that I can use to turn it and the skimmer pump on/off for cleaning. Beats turning a ball valve any day...

Current Tank Info: 110g in-wall, ATI 8x54w T5, 2xMP40es, SRO XP-2000i, 2-part Ca/Alk, Apex controlled
javajaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/17/2007, 08:51 PM   #29
Capt. Nemo
Registered Member

Thanks jaws for taking the time to explain that to me. You said it well when you called it a theory. I dont believe in theories. I believe in what works and what doesnt work in actual practice. The proof is in the nog and I've seen some serious nog being produced with those using the pump method. I have another question for you if you dont mind. With my setup I will have the A110, feed pump/powerhead and return pump located in the same chamber of my sump. Its the last chamber and only chamber that has room for everything. Is this setup okay and can I have the skimmer's output in this chamber as well?

Thanks,
Gary

Capt. Nemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/17/2007, 08:52 PM   #30
Zoom
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by javajaws
The theory (and to me that's all it is) is that if you feed from a pump you allow the skimmed water to re-stratify in the sump...so you are in effect not skimming the most polluted parts of the water. By skimming directly from the overflow you guarantee every bit of the surface pollutants go through the skimmer (or go through more often/sooner/etc.).

IMO, if you skim minimally or use an undersized skimmer this might make a difference. But I think for most of us you'll never notice a difference.

For me, I like using a pump because I have a wall switch that I can use to turn it and the skimmer pump on/off for cleaning. Beats turning a ball valve any day...
If you DIY you can build a sump like I did and get all the dirty water when first enters the tank for the skimmer by a divider.

You can see here the first chamber is the tank overflow the Eheim 1260 feeds the skimmer and the large white PVC hose is the skimmer overflow, the two never mix.

Last edited by Zoom; 10/17/2007 at 09:00 PM.
Zoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/12/2007, 12:00 PM   #31
heyfredyourhat
Premium Member

I feed my a150 via one of my overflows, now should it receive 100% of the overflow water or should I divert some or most of it to the sump?? Right now I have the wedge pipe fully open and the bubbles are only reaching the neck. So should I give it more of the water from the overflow, or just close up the wedge pipe a bit more??? And also it is just plain SW for now, no livestock yet.

I Know it is always tank specific, but there has got to be a ball park setting?>?

heyfredyourhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/12/2007, 12:37 PM   #32
Reef Sponger
Moved On

Did you set it up like this photo?

If so, then you adjust the ball valve so the correct flow through rate is going through your skimmer and the remainning excess flows back into the sump. The flow through rate should be around 200gph, typically around 1.5x turnover of your display tank.
Originally posted by UCanDoIt
Filling a 1g milk jug from the T off the drain of your skimmer:

150gph takes approximately 24secs to fill 1g
175gph takes approximately 21secs to fill 1g
200gph takes approximately 18secs to fill 1g
225gph takes approximately 16secs to fill 1g
250gph takes approximately 14secs to fill 1g
275gph takes approximately 13secs to fill 1g
300gph takes approximately 12secs to fill 1g
325gph takes approximately 11secs to fill 1g
350gph takes approximately 10secs to fill 1g

HTH. When you measure off the drain pipe, use the ball valve that you installed before the skimmer to control and adjust waterflow through the skimmer and then to the 1g milk jug.

Reef Sponger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/12/2007, 04:27 PM   #33
heyfredyourhat
Premium Member

Yes, my setup was based on that, is a slight bit different but still the same in teh long run.

I will do the milk jug test today to nail it down so i know what it is getting

also do i want the wedge pipe to control the flow thru the skimmer?? Because i think i can turn a valve here and iopen one up there to get the skimmer to overflow without adjusting the wedgepipe

Unread 11/12/2007, 05:16 PM   #34
heyfredyourhat
Premium Member

this is actually what my setup looks like

Also if i add a piece of pvc to the output of the skimmer so it is submerged, it surges and gurgles like crazy??? Just like if i close off the valve to the sump??? And when i put my hand over the output tube it will create a vacuum strong enough that i can feel it sucking on my hand

Unread 11/12/2007, 05:19 PM   #35
Reef Sponger
Moved On

This probably the best post I've seen on how to adjust your skimmer. Use the ball valve to adjust the flow through rate. Then I would adjust the air to get the bubbles nice and small. Last, I would adjust the wedgepipe to raise or lower the bubble breaking level. Below explains it more clearly.

Also, the straight downward water flow path from the overflow to the skimmer should go directly to the skimmer. The way you have it, I've seen a few people on the Deltec forum could not get enough flow to the skimmer as the path of least resistence is going to the sump and not to the skimmer.

In response to several PMs about water level and bubble breaking level, I thought it best that I copy in a previous post that I did about the same subject. Sorry about the Deltec photo as I own both and this was readily available.

I have spent many many hours talking to the my Aquarium tech (who maintains all my tanks) about plumbing and he's tried it all, made his share of mistakes, and the way he has my tank set up works great.

There are 3 controls on the skimmer:
1. Input controlled by gravity feed from overflow with ball valve "or" a feed pump with the correct rate
2. Output controlled by wedgepipe at skimmer's exhaust drain
3. Air flow controlled by air clamp

To set your skimmer correctly (as I am told):

1. first you must be sure the water flow through rate is matched to your skimmer. most of the time, for gravity feed, one would need to tailor the rate back by ball valve in control #1 as the water turnover rate on your system is usually much stronger than your skimmer can handle. if not tailored back to the correct flow through rate, there will be too much turbulance within the skimmer and performance will be greatly affected. or you can feed skimmer with a correctly rated pump or powerhead

2. next, with the water flow through rate adjusted correctly, the water level within the skimmer must be at the right level for the skimmer to perform optimally. water level should start right at the bottom edge of the bayonet connection between the collection cup and skimmer body. if the water level is too low, tailor back the outflow from the skimmer drain with the wedgepipe and it will raise the water level within the skimmer body. again, use the wedgepipe on the output, which is control #2, and be sure the drain does not terminate underwater in the sump. if the exhaust terminates underwater, the skimmer does not function well for H&S skimmers. on my setup, I have a 90 elbow that directs the water down into the sump, but the end of the pipe is about 1/2" above the sump water level. to quiet & reduce splashing, you can put a 45 elbow at the end of the drain pipe

3. tighten the air clamp for maximum foaming with control #3. on both my Deltec and H&S skimmers, it is tailored back approximately 1/4 - 1/3 which gives me the finest bubbles and good foaming head. on some skimmers, a fully open air tube could possibly be your best performance as every skimmer is different

once your skimmer is broken in and foaming, adjust wedgepipe to raise the water and bubble breaking level for wetter skimming and lower for drier skimming. HTH

Unread 11/12/2007, 11:29 PM   #36
heyfredyourhat
Premium Member

good to know. I just cut the plumbing out and am redoing it tomorow evening. Hopefully this will solve the surge and gurgle effect

Unread 11/12/2007, 11:34 PM   #37
CruzinKim
Moved On

From what I've been reading on direct feed from overflow, if the strongest flow path is not straight to the skimmer, you not only may not have enough flow through, but yes, you can have surging, gurgling and excessive large bubbles going straight into the skimmer which affects its performance.

CruzinKim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/18/2007, 11:45 PM   #38
CruzinKim
Moved On

Thumbs up I'm In!

OK, I just pulled the trigger on a slightly used A200, so I'm officially part of the H&S Club now. Unfortunately, won't be setting this up for at least 4 or 5 months on a future 180g setup. I may try this on my 90g just to see how it does. J/K

Unread 11/18/2007, 11:52 PM   #39
rishma
Registered Member

the pump is upside down

Current Tank Info: Silence is golden
rishma is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/19/2007, 01:54 AM   #40
CruzinKim
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by rishma
the pump is upside down
thanks, yes, it is. someone mentioned it to the RC member that sold me this unit already.

Unread 11/19/2007, 06:05 AM   #41
Joe
Registered Member

Go Kim!!!!!!!

Joe

Current Tank Info: 120 Gallon Oceanic Tech Tank, Two MP40W Gen 2 Vortechs, H & S A-150-F2001 External Skimmer, Oceanic Model 3 Sump, Current Outer Orbit Pro 250 Watt MH/T5 Combo
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/30/2007, 08:25 PM   #42
Keith Thomson
Registered Member

I have a A200-1260 which I have located in my sump. I am currently feeding the skimmer with a Maxi-Jet 1200. I tried to gravity feed the skimmer but found It worked better with the powerhead. Has anyone tried any other feed pumps? I was thinking of trying a Eheim pump and wondered if it was worth it. I have been running this skimmer for about a year and a half and wanted to get max performance.

Keith.

Keith Thomson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/30/2007, 08:29 PM   #43
CruzinKim
Moved On

It depends on your tank size. Should be approximately 1.5x turnover of your display tank, but up to the A200's capacity of 300gph.

Unread 11/30/2007, 08:51 PM   #44
USC-fan
Premium Member

CruzinKim didn't you just buy a BM?

USC-fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/30/2007, 09:19 PM   #45
Joe
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by USC-fan
CruzinKim didn't you just buy a BM?
No, he just bought an H & S A200-1260.

Joe

Current Tank Info: 120 Gallon Oceanic Tech Tank, Two MP40W Gen 2 Vortechs, H & S A-150-F2001 External Skimmer, Oceanic Model 3 Sump, Current Outer Orbit Pro 250 Watt MH/T5 Combo
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/30/2007, 09:29 PM   #46
CruzinKim
Moved On

I'm now a proud owner of a BM160 and a A200-1260.

Unread 11/30/2007, 09:40 PM   #47
USC-fan
Premium Member

skim OFF time! Lets see what these skimmers can do, first one to stop skimming loses

USC-fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/01/2007, 01:30 PM   #48
damura
Registered Member

Hi all,

I really need you help here.
I have an H&S skimmer that i'm very happy with. I have one very annoying problem with it though, i have tons of bubbles coming out of it. When i look at the bottom side of skimmer where the output horizontal hose is placed, i see clouds of bubbles coming and going, usually filling the sides of the hose. Bottom line, i get millions of bubbles going out of the skimmer. I have 2 questions:
1. Are you guys familiar with this? bear in mind i have the 250mm model, short version.
2. What should i place in the outlet??? i tried media bags, 5 of them together and it only mitigated the problem how do i stop it completely...
help please, i'm in trouble...photos:

damura is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/03/2007, 11:02 AM   #49
Reef Sponger
Moved On

I can't see what you are referring to, but you may want to ask your question on the H&S/Fins Reef sponsored forum or give Fins Reef a call.

Unread 12/11/2007, 02:49 PM   #50
albfelix
Registered Member

A150-F2001

albfelix is offline   Reply With Quote