Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/21/2017, 09:30 PM   #326
Kinetic
Registered Member

How are you able to achieve 100% water changes daily (and more than daily when there's discharge)?

Do you just totally drain the tank and then fill it back up with new RO/DI salt mix? Would that be stressful on the fish?

I'm considering getting something like a cooler or tub that has a spigot at the bottom. Protect the spigot area with eggcrate and use that to dump the water out completely.

Then with the new water pre-mixed and heated, slowly add it back in. But the nem would be exposed for that time. I'm guessing it should be OK?

Kinetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/22/2017, 12:37 PM   #327
OrionN
Moved on

Well dissolved, heated and aerated water should not stress the anemone. Need to match the salinity and temp. Chemistry would be essentially the same since you use the same water source. This is if you use newly mixed water.
I use water from my DT to do water change and the newly mixed water go into the DT.

My homepage is my album here at Reef Central

Current Tank Info: Reboot 320 anemones reef. Angels: Yellow Chest Regal(2), Flame (2). Copperband But. Tangs: Yellow, Purple. Wrasse: about 20 wrasses various species. Anemones: Giantea X4 (Breen, Blue, Purple and Multicolors), Haddoni X1 Red, Magnifica X1 Purpletip
OrionN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/22/2017, 01:05 PM   #328
Kinetic
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrionN View Post
Well dissolved, heated and aerated water should not stress the anemone. Need to match the salinity and temp. Chemistry would be essentially the same since you use the same water source. This is if you use newly mixed water.
I use water from my DT to do water change and the newly mixed water go into the DT.
oh that makes sense. So pull water from DT for the treatment tank's water.

My other question was how do you remove 100% water from the treatment tank? Do you just siphon all of it out, leaving the anemone exposed out of water for a few seconds?

Unread 08/22/2017, 05:59 PM   #329
OrionN
Moved on

I often move the anemone to a temp container, change the water then put him back. I almost always have anemone attach to a cup or something small

Current Tank Info: Reboot 320 anemones reef. Angels: Yellow Chest Regal(2), Flame (2). Copperband But. Tangs: Yellow, Purple. Wrasse: about 20 wrasses various species. Anemones: Giantea X4 (Breen, Blue, Purple and Multicolors), Haddoni X1 Red, Magnifica X1 Purpletip
Unread 08/22/2017, 06:07 PM   #330
Kinetic
Registered Member

Quote:
I often move the anemone to a temp container, change the water then put him back. I almost always have anemone attach to a cup or something small
That makes sense. So basically he'll still be somewhat submerged in a small container and easily lifted out?

Unread 08/22/2017, 06:48 PM   #331
D-Nak
Registered Member

I've treated both gigantea and magnifica many times and I just completely drain the tank with the nem inside. In the wild, during low tide, they are sometimes completely exposed to air, and are even in positions where they are hanging off of rocks.

It's important to remove as much water as possible to minimize the pathogen that's causing the infection.

I typically use freshly made salt water for my water changes. My main tank has gigantea in them and I prefer to use water that isn't exposed to any type of chemical allelopathy. It's likely that there isn't anything in the water to affect a sick nem, but I always try to remove any possible contaminant.

Unread 08/22/2017, 06:49 PM   #332
Kinetic
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Nak View Post
I've treated both gigantea and magnifica many times and I just completely drain the tank with the nem inside. In the wild, during low tide, they are sometimes completely exposed to air, and are even in positions where they are hanging off of rocks.

It's important to remove as much water as possible to minimize the pathogen that's causing the infection.
Good to know. I'll just drain all of it with a siphon!

Unread 09/01/2017, 01:35 PM   #333
Kinetic
Registered Member

I'm starting to plan a treatment tank for a H. Magnifica.

- Two 18 gallon tubs
- One basic T5 light
- 75 watt heaters, one in each tub (79* F)
- Probably 2x Hydor Koralia Nano (240gph), one in each tub
- Eggcrate to keep the powerhead from blending...

Plan:
1. I will always have the second tub ready with new salt water mixed (maybe just from my display tank, giving my display a bunch of nice water changes).
2. Every day: move the nem to new tub. move the light over too (probably will only have one) clean and restore old tub with new water.
3. Discharge during day: move the nem earlier than 24 hours, and restore old tub
4. Every day: dose cipro with the dosing guidelines

Do you think this is adequate?

I probably won't start treatment on the nem unless the OrionN score on it is bad after the first 8 hours of putting it in the treatment tank. But I'll add it to the treatment tank when I bring it home and monitor before deciding if it goes into the DT or not.

Questions:
1. Will rubbermaid roughneck tubs be OK for the job?
2. How should I work the lighting schedule? The guide says to acclimate to the light over 12 hours, but then turn it off if you're treating with cipro?

Unread 06/29/2018, 02:20 AM   #334
Rispa
Registered Member

This is great info!

Rispa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/29/2018, 04:09 AM   #335
OrionN
Moved on

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinetic View Post
I'm starting to plan a treatment tank for a H. Magnifica.

- Two 18 gallon tubs
- One basic T5 light
- 75 watt heaters, one in each tub (79* F)
- Probably 2x Hydor Koralia Nano (240gph), one in each tub
- Eggcrate to keep the powerhead from blending...

Plan:
1. I will always have the second tub ready with new salt water mixed (maybe just from my display tank, giving my display a bunch of nice water changes).
2. Every day: move the nem to new tub. move the light over too (probably will only have one) clean and restore old tub with new water.
3. Discharge during day: move the nem earlier than 24 hours, and restore old tub
4. Every day: dose cipro with the dosing guidelines

Do you think this is adequate?

I probably won't start treatment on the nem unless the OrionN score on it is bad after the first 8 hours of putting it in the treatment tank. But I'll add it to the treatment tank when I bring it home and monitor before deciding if it goes into the DT or not.

Questions:
1. Will rubbermaid roughneck tubs be OK for the job?
2. How should I work the lighting schedule? The guide says to acclimate to the light over 12 hours, but then turn it off if you're treating with cipro?
How did this anemone fares? Rubber maid tub is fine, but Petco have 1 dollar per gal sale often. I have several 10 gal tanks to use just for this

Unread 09/04/2018, 09:53 AM   #336
Chad_P
Registered Member

How does Cefdinir compare to Cipro? Think I have a sick anemone taking a dive and worried I can’t get Cipro sooner than a couple of days. I have Cefdinir from a prescription for my sons ear infection (he never took it, dr prescribed in case he got an infection).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Chad_P is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/08/2018, 09:59 AM   #337
Chad_P
Registered Member

When do you know to stop treatment? My haddonni seems to have better body control, haven’t seen it deflate, but it still seems to be expelling brown pellets. Seems to be less each day but mouth is still open and anemone doesn’t feel as sticky.

Unread 09/08/2018, 10:20 AM   #338
OrionN
Moved on

You need to give them good care and good water. If you can do it in QT then it really does not mater how long they are in there. Expelled zoos is really a sign of stress, not necessary infection. As long as they don't deflate for at least 3 days, and I have treated them for at least 7 days, I have good luck with them do well. I usually have my QT in optimal condition, with circulation just about right. Very good stable water condition and great light, stable temp so I can leave my anemone in it for a long time.

Unread 09/08/2018, 10:32 AM   #339
Chad_P
Registered Member

Quote:
You need to give them good care and good water. If you can do it in QT then it really does not mater how long they are in there. Expelled zoos is really a sign of stress, not necessary infection. As long as they don't deflate for at least 3 days, and I have treated them for at least 7 days, I have good luck with them do well. I usually have my QT in optimal condition, with circulation just about right. Very good stable water condition and great light, stable temp so I can leave my anemone in it for a long time.

Thanks! That’s helpful. I’m using water from my display so I know the water is ideal parameters and I’m using an MP10 turned down to circulate. Also have a heater in there and a 140 watt LED a few feet above for the lighting period. So I think I’m giving him good conditions but apparently not if he’s still expelling zoos. Not sure what else I need to do.

I’ll keep on treating through the 7 days and as long as no deflating I’ll let him back in DT. I only saw him deflate once prior to treatment but the loose mouth made it seem enough to treat. Is it a concern that he doesn’t seem as sticky?

Unread 09/08/2018, 07:02 PM   #340
Chad_P
Registered Member

Quote:

Sorry for all the questions but What are your thoughts then regarding the mouth being open?

First pic is while still in treatment, second pic was while in DT before I pulled out to QT. It looked like that a little bit tonight, even after 4 nights of Cipro treatment.

Unread 10/23/2018, 12:43 PM   #341
OrionN
Moved on

Slight UPenn mouth is fine. It is the large open mouth that is not associated with eating that is a sigh of bad health.
They can open their mouth and eat. That is no problem.

Unread 01/19/2019, 12:59 PM   #342
Zuuu
Registered Member

Thanks a lot for sharing this treatment protocol! It helped to save my pink haddoni.
Before _20181214_215210.JPG
After _20190119_202033.jpg

Treatment was done in a bucket left from salt (25kg). Tiny pump was covered with a net i built from wires in a plastic shell.
_20190119_204732.jpg

I was feeding it daily with a small piece of shrimp (about 5 millimeters) , starting from day 4, because mouth was never closing. Feeding helped to resolve this.
After treatment added 5 sexy shrimps in a hope that they would help clean some wastes from the carpet.
_20190119_204816.jpg

Zuuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/25/2019, 10:58 PM   #343
OrionN
Moved on

I am glad that the treatment help save your anemone. He is a beau.

Unread 04/01/2019, 01:18 PM   #344
Weboh
Registered Member

Would Fish Mox (AKA amoxicillin) work just as well as Fish Flox (ciprofloxacin)? My LFS doesn't carry fish flox but does carry fish mox.

Weboh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/01/2019, 01:23 PM   #345
OrionN
Moved on

Amoxicillin is quite wide enough spectrum. Use it while you MO ciprofloxacin. I would use 250 mg per 10 gal also.

Unread 04/01/2019, 01:37 PM   #346
Weboh
Registered Member

Thanks for the quick reply! If Amoxicillin is good enough, why do you recommend I order more ciprofloxacin? I'd be almost done with the treatment by the time it got here anyway.

Weboh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/01/2019, 01:41 PM   #347
OrionN
Moved on

I meant NOT quite wide enough spectrum. Sorry

Unread 10/09/2019, 07:10 AM   #348
anemoneguy
Registered Member

So set up a 10 gallon tank for my blue gigantia thats been tanked for about 5 years, and notice the water is very cloudy. Is this normal? 10 gallon with heater and pump for airation along with 250 of cipro. I had to take my tank down and start over do to a dino outbreak and the nem wasnt looking good in the temporary 40 gallon breeder i have set up for my fish and him until new tank gets re started.

anemoneguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/21/2021, 09:58 PM   #349
SNAKEMANVET
PREMIUM MEMBER

Anyone wi]th experience treating a rbta with Cipro.

SNAKEMANVET is offline   Reply With Quote