Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/27/2019, 05:06 PM   #101
ThRoewer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Planetmacro View Post
DD has a S. mertensii available now.
That's just 4 inches, about the size of my larger bicinctus. I think that they would harrass it to death before it could have a chance to grow enough to be a suitable host for these guys.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Current Tank Info: 200 gal 4 tank system (40x28x24 + 40B + 40B sump tank + 20g refugium) + 30x18x18 mixed reef + 20g East Pacific biotop + 20g FW +...
ThRoewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/27/2019, 06:44 PM   #102
Planetmacro
Registered Member

You have a point. The one I'm getting Wednesday is 4 1/2 inches. My female bicinctus is 5 inches so they're not getting the Merten's. My tricinctus female is also a little too big. I think the ocellaris pair will luck out. Do Merten's host perculas in the wild?

Planetmacro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/27/2019, 07:28 PM   #103
ThRoewer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Planetmacro View Post
You have a point. The one I'm getting Wednesday is 4 1/2 inches. My female bicinctus is 5 inches so they're not getting the Merten's. My tricinctus female is also a little too big. I think the ocellaris pair will luck out. Do Merten's host perculas in the wild?
No, Solomon Island, Papua New Guinea, and Irian Jaya percula are only found in giganteas and magnificas. And as far as I know, Great Barrier Reef percula only in magnificas.
Ocellaris are found in giganteas, magnificas, and mertensi in the wild. The ones found in giganteas and mertensi can have as much black around their bars as non-onyx percula.

Current Tank Info: 200 gal 4 tank system (40x28x24 + 40B + 40B sump tank + 20g refugium) + 30x18x18 mixed reef + 20g East Pacific biotop + 20g FW +...
Unread 05/28/2019, 08:10 AM   #104
Planetmacro
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThRoewer View Post
No, Solomon Island, Papua New Guinea, and Irian Jaya percula are only found in giganteas and magnificas. And as far as I know, Great Barrier Reef percula only in magnificas.
Ocellaris are found in giganteas, magnificas, and mertensi in the wild. The ones found in giganteas and mertensi can have as much black around their bars as non-onyx percula.

My Philippine caught ocellaris will get the Merten’s then. If it all works out I’ll post a video. I’d like to grow it as big as it can get!

Unread 05/28/2019, 08:12 AM   #105
Planetmacro
Registered Member

It will be interesting to see if the ocellaris darken after a while in the Merten’s.

Unread 05/30/2019, 09:15 PM   #106
ThRoewer
Registered Member

That was fast!

Came home and found my bicinctus spawning:

Only 69 days after I got them, 25 days after I moved them to this tank.
IMO way to fast for a pair that was just put together. I kind of suspected from the start that these two had been a pair before based on how fast they paired up.

Unread 05/30/2019, 09:26 PM   #107
Overboard
Premium Member

That’s amazing! Great job (and great vids)!

Unread 05/30/2019, 10:00 PM   #108
1claire
Registered Member

The set-up looks amazing that it seems like they enjoy playing.

1claire is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/31/2019, 11:35 AM   #109
ThRoewer
Registered Member

I've started to take more aggressive steps to "re-infect" the magnifica with Zooxanthellae so that it colors up again.
About a week ago I "fed" it a tentacle of my RBTA and yesterday I force-fed it a whole Anthelia polyp. I hope one of those Zooxanthellae strains is compatible with magnificas.

Unread 05/31/2019, 11:45 AM   #110
ThRoewer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1claire View Post
The set-up looks amazing that it seems like they enjoy playing.
That setup was mainly designed to keep the magifica from moving around in the tank. The holes in the large supporting clay pot were drilled with a diamond hole-saw to avoid having a dead zone without flow below the pot. Additionally it was supposed to provide a cave for the fish to seek shelter and they certainly like it.

Unread 06/01/2019, 01:13 AM   #111
ThRoewer
Registered Member

The female seems to be constantly hungry and every time she sees me in front of the tank she comes begging for food...

Don't clean the front much as the tank is too low to look through it that way.

Unread 06/05/2019, 02:10 AM   #112
ThRoewer
Registered Member

The eggs have not hatched yet and the female is getting fat again. It seems they might spawn again soon, probably only a few days after the first clutch has hatched.

I had a pair of "clarkii" before who often didn't wait for the previous clutch to hatch...

Unread 06/05/2019, 03:54 AM   #113
OrionN
Moved on

Nice clowns. My Percula pair is doing the same. They lay a new patch before the previous one hatch.
I hope your Magnifica improve with zooxanthalea seeding. Too bad you don’t live near here or else I get tentacles of my Magnifica for you.

My homepage is my album here at Reef Central

Current Tank Info: Reboot 320 anemones reef. Angels: Yellow Chest Regal(2), Flame (2). Copperband But. Tangs: Yellow, Purple. Wrasse: about 20 wrasses various species. Anemones: Giantea X4 (Breen, Blue, Purple and Multicolors), Haddoni X1 Red, Magnifica X1 Purpletip
OrionN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/06/2019, 03:56 AM   #114
ThRoewer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrionN View Post
Nice clowns. My Percula pair is doing the same. They lay a new patch before the previous one hatch.
I hope your Magnifica improve with zooxanthalea seeding. Too bad you don’t live near here or else I get tentacles of my Magnifica for you.
Today I had to move some of my "spare" haddoni around - a green had decided to cozy up with the purple in its basket and they were crowding each other. When I removed the green from the purple's basket it decided to "donate" a few tentacles. So I scraped them off my fingers, loaded them into a syringe with a blunt needle and injected them into the magnifica's mouth. So let's see if this attempt works.

And since the 40B in which I "park" my extra haddoni was too full with 4 baskets I decided to move the purple haddoni to the tank with the bicinctus to see which anemone they ultimately prefer. So the purple haddoni may also release some Zooxanthellae the magifica may pick up.

BTW, feeding the magnifica is a kind of tricky since the anemone is a very slow eater and the bicinctus steal everything they can out of its mouth. Alone for that reason they may be better with the haddoni.

I'm also looking if I can find another magnifica locally (one of my percula pairs needs one) that I could use as a donor.

Unread 06/06/2019, 09:22 PM   #115
CoralsAddiction
Registered Member

That was a quick spawn. It wouldn’t be surprising if their fry was easier to raise like Clarkii and by easier I mean higher survival rate and less finicky eating patterns.
What light is that bleached magnifica under?

CoralsAddiction is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/06/2019, 09:44 PM   #116
ThRoewer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoralsAddiction View Post
That was a quick spawn. It wouldn’t be surprising if their fry was easier to raise like Clarkii and by easier I mean higher survival rate and less finicky eating patterns.
What light is that bleached magnifica under?
I have a Kessil A360WE directly over the anemone and it is at 100% intensity and tuned to nearly fully white. The anemone gets blasted with light.

In my experience clarkii larva are not finicky eaters at all. The larva from that pair above would eat Artemia naupli from day one and eat like little Pac-Mans. I raised over 800 on the first try and it could have been easily much more had I not killed 400 in a stupid water change accident. Aside from those losses I might have 10 to 20.
I don't think that there is any easier reef fish to breed than clarkii (including Banggais who are actually quite difficult to breed).

Unread 06/06/2019, 09:54 PM   #117
CoralsAddiction
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThRoewer View Post
I have a Kessil A360WE directly over the anemone and it is at 100% intensity and tuned to nearly fully white. The anemone gets blasted with light.

In my experience clarkii larva are not finicky eaters at all. The larva from that pair above would eat Artemia naupli from day one and eat like little Pac-Mans. I raised over 800 on the first try and it could have been easily much more had I not killed 400 in a stupid water change accident. Aside from those losses I might have 10 to 20.
I don't think that there is any easier reef fish to breed than clarkii (including Banggais who are actually quite difficult to breed).

I think you read my “easier like Clarkii” as “easier than Clarkii”.
Also, why mostly white spectrum instead of a full spectrum?

CoralsAddiction is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/06/2019, 10:53 PM   #118
ThRoewer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoralsAddiction View Post
I think you read my “easier like Clarkii” as “easier than Clarkii”.
Also, why mostly white spectrum instead of a full spectrum?
It's full spectrum. With those Kessil you can't do anything else aside from dialing the white down.
Not sure if bicinctus is as easy to raise as clarkii. So far my impression is that the eggs are a bit smaller.

Unread 06/07/2019, 05:22 PM   #119
ThRoewer
Registered Member

The last few days I found the magnifica mostly closed in the morning. It only stayed open on the down flow side where the bicinctus sleep. To clarify, not deflated or contracted but kind of balled up the way magnificas do in the wild. It opens as soon as the lights come on.

Unread 06/07/2019, 08:16 PM   #120
ThRoewer
Registered Member

The female is definitely interested in the haddoni.
I caught her to quickly swipe over it with her belly. Given that the haddoni is inside a basket in a corner of the tank the bicinctus rarely visit this was certainly no accidental contact.

Unread 06/08/2019, 02:41 AM   #121
ThRoewer
Registered Member

Since feeding the magnifica the natural way doesn't work well due to the bicinctus' habit of viciously stealing the anemones food I used a syringe to inject some Mysis directly into its mouth.
I also fed the haddoni which is far better in protecting its food from thievish anemonefish.

Both, the male and female bicinctus did "dives" into the haddoni. They are both clearly adapting themselves to take on the haddoni as host.

BTW, that haddoni is still a bit small after I moved it. In its previous tank, it pretty much filled the entire basket.

Last edited by ThRoewer; 06/08/2019 at 02:49 AM.
Unread 06/09/2019, 02:48 AM   #122
ThRoewer
Registered Member

The eggs hatched Friday night after only 8 days. The eggs of my percula hatch after 11 (pair 2) to 12 days (pair 1).

AC had another magnifica but unfortunately it was also bleached to the bone...

Unread 06/11/2019, 10:42 AM   #123
ThRoewer
Registered Member

They laid eggs again Monday evening.
The female is now sleeping in the haddoni. And while the male goes visiting the haddoni frequently he mostly stays with the magnifica so far.

Unread 06/15/2019, 05:17 AM   #124
ThRoewer
Registered Member

So far no luck with "infecting" the magnifica with Zooxanthellae.
A.C. had another magnifica last week but it was just as bleached and potentially sick.

The female now spends considerable time in the haddoni and sleeps in it at night. The male visits the haddoni frequently as well but stays with the magnifica, likely because the nest is there.

With S. haddoni confirmed as a natural host in the wild, bicinctus is accepting every suitable host anemone that is found in their distribution range - with the sole exception of Cryptodendrum adhaesivum, which is not really a common host anemone.
I would think that this due to the fact that there is no competition with other anemonefish species in their distribution range, which likely is one of the prime reasons why most species "specialize" in only a few hosts.

So the list of natural hosts for A. bicinctus matches the list of common host anemones found in the red Sea:

Entacmaea quadricolor (prefered host?)
Heteractis aurora
Heteractis crispa
Heteractis magnifica
Stichodactyla gigantea
Stichodactyla haddoni
Stichodactyla mertensi

Not found in the Red Sea are:
Heteractis malu
Macrodactyla doreensis

The way these guys lay their eggs - in a nice and tight patch - tells me that they have done it quite a few times before, and together. By now I'm certain that these two had been a pair in the wild and only got separated at the wholesaler or store.

Unread 08/31/2019, 06:13 PM   #125
ThRoewer
Registered Member

Since I couldn't find a mag that isn't bleached locally I ordered the African H. magnifica DD had listed for a couple of days. Hopefully that will work as donor.

Last edited by ThRoewer; 08/31/2019 at 06:20 PM.

Tags
amphiprion bicinctus, red sea clownfish