Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Military Reefers Group
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/05/2011, 12:32 PM   #1
sucker_fish
Registered Member

military reefers club

I am in the military and an avid reefer, one problem that I have is moving and then trying to locate the local (and sometimes not so local) reef clubs. Just an idea but I know a few people just on my installation that are into reefs and thought maybe it would be cool to start a military reefers club that would not only cater to and bring military reefers together but also work hand in hand with local reef clubs where available. Just curious for feedback at this point so let me know what you think.

sucker_fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/05/2011, 03:27 PM   #2
alexwbush
Registered Member

I am military also, but this is the first time in the last 4 years that I've been able to stay home for longer than 3 months... so I am getting setup again. But I am going to try to stay small scale because I will probably only be in this situation for another 18 months until I have to move and things get busy again.

alexwbush is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/05/2011, 03:35 PM   #3
Saldebo
Registered Member

Seems like a great idea.

Saldebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/05/2011, 05:57 PM   #4
almostazoo
Registered Member

my wife and I are both mil and think that would be a helpfull tool. I am currently feeling out my area trying to establish good conections in phx

almostazoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/05/2011, 09:04 PM   #5
sucker_fish
Registered Member

thats exactly the situations I would like to address, who takes care of tanks when a deployment comes up, maybe get together with other military and work out some tank sitting to help each other out etc. I know for me personally it has been a challenge tearing down tanks and selling off everything for half what it cost just to turn around again and do it all over again later.

Unread 02/05/2011, 09:34 PM   #6
BRAVO1RESQ
Registered Member

I like the idea as I am military as well. I've done multiple teardowns, give aways, selling equipment and taking up valuable space in the moving trucks trying to save other equipment...some of which has been broken in transit.

Kevin

BRAVO1RESQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/05/2011, 09:37 PM   #7
reeftanknewbie
Registered Member

I am a veteran in PA and would be honored to participate....

Current Tank Info: 80 gallon blue line rimless tank
reeftanknewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/05/2011, 10:03 PM   #8
Tampico96
Registered Member

I'm another tank sitter. My brother is currently in Iraq and he drove his 29 here for me to watch. With all of the moving, I think he settled on a small tank bacause is can be fairly easily moved with buckets. He drove it up from Georgia to south central Pa. Tore down one evening and set up here the next morning.

Tampico96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/05/2011, 10:23 PM   #9
bif24701
Registered Member

Sweet! I am in AZ and I will be gone 90 days TDY here soon. I have to teach my wife how to take care of the tank while I am away. I hope she pays attention.....

Kessil AP700/ MP60+6105
Kalk+2 part/ Cheato Fuge

Current Tank Info: 180 SPS Dominant
bif24701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/06/2011, 08:01 PM   #10
sucker_fish
Registered Member

well I was thinking...if we can get a large enough network of miilitary reefers together and get an organization going that would be great, then hopefully working hand in hand with the local reef club members we would have plenty tank sitters to either watch our tanks for us or advise our significant others who are attempting to take care of our tanks while we are away...Now we just need to come up with a really cool name..hehe

Unread 02/06/2011, 10:15 PM   #11
mistaflicksta
Registered Member

Im another Vet that went through the same tear down and sell routine for 8 years, I know how it feels to finally get a tank going and then having to sell it all because you have to ship out. I am curently in the FT BLISS area and if any of you are out this way I will be glad to help out.

Current Tank Info: 150H(48LX24WX30H), 302 Aquatics sump w/ATS, NWB 200 reef octopus skimmer w/DC pump, 2× MP40W, Varios 6 return pump, RKE, Avast Marine Kalk reactor, Kessil AP700
mistaflicksta is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/06/2011, 10:21 PM   #12
stiltman
Registered Member

I'm a vet, in CT. Not too many active duty near me. But if there I anything I can do to help out, let me know.

Current Tank Info: 75 w/ 20 sump
stiltman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/06/2011, 10:31 PM   #13
Peter T
Gallantly Forward

Glad to see vets here. For a little bit I thought I was one of the few military (reserve Drill sergeant now) that had an interests in reef tanks. If anyone needs help in my area (Jacksonville, FL), let me know. I may one day ask for a favor when I have a mobilization to train troops.

Peter T is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/06/2011, 10:45 PM   #14
CueMusic
Registered Member

I am a Veteran and would love to be involved. Especially if someone locally gets deployed I would love to assist so they wouldn't lose their beloved reef tank.

CueMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/06/2011, 11:10 PM   #15
katarina
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter T View Post
Glad to see vets here. For a little bit I thought I was one of the few military (reserve Drill sergeant now) that had an interests in reef tanks. If anyone needs help in my area (Jacksonville, FL), let me know. I may one day ask for a favor when I have a mobilization to train troops.
I am also in Jacksonville FL. My husband is active duty. If you need help let me know.

katarina is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/07/2011, 05:23 AM   #16
Dino
Freak of Nature

I'd like to just step in here and say a great big thank you to all of you for all that you have done. It really is great to see so many fine individuals all in one thread.

I will love and miss you until the last beat of my heart Harley & Rusty.
Dino is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/07/2011, 08:28 AM   #17
CueMusic
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sucker_fish View Post
well I was thinking...if we can get a large enough network of miilitary reefers together and get an organization going that would be great, then hopefully working hand in hand with the local reef club members we would have plenty tank sitters to either watch our tanks for us or advise our significant others who are attempting to take care of our tanks while we are away...Now we just need to come up with a really cool name..hehe

How about Brothers At Arms Reefers. or BAAR

CueMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/07/2011, 08:33 AM   #18
r_jay
MARSH member

I'm in. Just started up about a year ago and transfer next summer, wondering what's gonna happen to the tank.

Current Tank Info: 65G AGA RR, Nova xtreme pro 36" T5's, Bubble Magus NAC7 (dry in garage*tear*). 29g Biocube, InTank-Mediabasket+Fuge, mini T5 (refuge light), LEDs! (rapidled kit) MP10
r_jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/07/2011, 01:41 PM   #19
israel.kendall
Padawan Reefer

This is a great idea. The whole reason I didn't have any pets while I was in is because I didn't have anyone to take care of them while I was deployed.

israel.kendall is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/07/2011, 08:12 PM   #20
sucker_fish
Registered Member

I like it, I'm not that creative when it comes to thinking of cool names for stuff.

Unread 02/07/2011, 08:17 PM   #21
sucker_fish
Registered Member

everyone else, I would love some more suggestions for names or acronyms for a "nation wide" type of club. Definitely gonna be moving forward with this and of course by a military club I mean any military at any time, I dont care if you served 6 months or 20+ years...it's great to see so many vets that are into reefing, I too didn't know that there were so many military reefers.

Unread 02/07/2011, 09:14 PM   #22
1fishkeeper
Registered Member

Well I just seen this so I thought that i would hope in on it. I was in the Army for 10 years until I got hurt over in Iraq and got medical retired. But I think this is great for us all to get to know each other and find others that have been in our boots.

Unread 02/15/2011, 07:36 PM   #23
Vice333
Registered Member

I think this is a great Idea, I'm in the military just outside of Philadelphia PA, and it is exhausting trying to teach my wife to handle things while I'm gone.

Vice333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/15/2011, 08:05 PM   #24
cyberwild360
Registered Member

Marine..here in Indianapolis. Love the idea.

cyberwild360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/16/2011, 08:03 AM   #25
cdunson82
Registered Member

This idea is great, I am now in the Orlando area. I just recently got off active duty and am now in the National Guard. With all my time away I was never able to have a tank but now get to have fun in this great hobby!

cdunson82 is offline   Reply With Quote