Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/11/2017, 06:17 PM   #1
t81rd
Registered Member

panworld 200ps due for a rebuild

so my panworld pump is due for a rebuild as the bearings are starting to scream at me. I need to replace the bearings on them, but not sure where to source them or what bearings I need. Any help on where to find this out would be great

t81rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/11/2017, 08:08 PM   #2
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by t81rd View Post
so my panworld pump is due for a rebuild as the bearings are starting to scream at me. I need to replace the bearings on them, but not sure where to source them or what bearings I need. Any help on where to find this out would be great
Take this for what it’s worth. I have not torn down the Panworld but I have torn down Reeflo’s with Baldor motors and Iwaki’s which happen to be similar to the Panworlds. First, the bearings will have a part number on them and finding bearings should be the easy part. The problem is removing the bearings from the armature. Most bearing pullers won’t do the job and typically you will need a special jig that can slip behind the bearing over the shaft. Then you need press. I rebuild vintage commercial Milkshake mixers and replace bearings all the time on the armatures and it’s really no different than the motors on pumps. I use a very large 1 ton Arbor press to remove and press new bearings onto the shafts. Your Panworld will likely have a couple bearings and I suspect it may be much more difficult than you are expecting if you don’t have the correct tools to remove and replace the bearings. As such, unless you have experience rebuilding armatures, you would likely be doing yourself a favor by either buying a replacement pump and attempting to fix this one for a backup or take the pump to a shop that rebuilds motors.

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
slief is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/12/2017, 09:27 AM   #3
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

Curious how old this pump is that it needs a rebuild? I have run other models for 10 years plus without problem, but my PW200PS is quite new (18 mos). Though I'm a big DiY guy, my skills don't really extend to rebuilding a pump. I'd just buy a new one . If you do rebuild it, please do share how you do it.

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
ca1ore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/12/2017, 03:24 PM   #4
t81rd
Registered Member

I honestly don't know, it came to me second hand. It was used on one of the original geo becketts that didnt even have a sticker on it. So I know its been around for a while. it works perfectly fine, just starting to hear it more and more

t81rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/13/2017, 05:41 AM   #5
alton
Registered Member

I have used my 40px since 2006. Super quiet, one reason is no fan for cooling. I was worried about this at first but I guess it didn't need one. The other great thing there is no heating the water in the aquarium. I hope you can find parts? If not buy new and enjoy it for the next ten to fifteen years.

alton is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/13/2017, 07:29 AM   #6
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

Quote:
Originally Posted by t81rd View Post
I honestly don't know, it came to me second hand. It was used on one of the original geo becketts that didnt even have a sticker on it. So I know its been around for a while. it works perfectly fine, just starting to hear it more and more
That makes sense. I think one can expect a good long life from these pumps - 10 to 15 years at least (which is why I favor them over the DC-pumps-de-jour). But at some point even the best made stuff fails.

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
ca1ore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/13/2017, 08:52 AM   #7
Vinny Kreyling
Registered Member

Bearing puller for sure will be needed.
If as Scott claims it will not fit I also would take it to someone that rebuilds motors.