Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > SouthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Florida Marine Aquarium Society (FMAS) - Miami/Ft. Lauderdale
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/13/2017, 01:55 PM   #1751
ClownsRCoo
Registered Member

automatic water change

I don't know that everyone runs their AWC system for that short of periods, that many times a day but it doesn't hurt.

I run mine M-F, for 13 min every hour from 6-10 pm. I prefer to have this happen while I'm home so I can react to anything that might go wrong. Also I leave my weekends AWC free to give me time to refill my containers and mix up new water for the following week.

With my program I change 3g a day. Each time my pump cuts on it's only changing out 3/4 of a gallon of water. There is no way my 200g system is going to feel any parameter swings from such a small amount. I also get the piece of mind of being home while it's doing its thing and I only run my pump 4 times a day vs 24. To me personally I don't see the payoff of doing so many more frequent but smaller changes vs what I'm doing now. I'm doing them enough to not effect a single parameter and stress my tank which is the goal, and the benefits of not running more frequently outweighs the cons. For example my pump will run 7720 times less per year than yours and I can only assume that should correlate to a much longer lifespan for the pump and apex outlet relay.

I'm not dogging your plan but just trying to introduce another viewpoint and explain that there isn't really a wrong way to go about it. To me it can get to a point of diminishing returns. I could go ultra stable and run this thing 1 min on/ 1 min off but how much more and I really gaining and at what cost?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unread 07/13/2017, 07:27 PM   #1752
SkyReef
Registered Member

Thanks, ClownsRCoo. You make some reasonable points. I hadn't considered the startup-wear-and-tear notion. I just think it would be super cool to do because the technology allows it, and it would be so natural-like. I'll think it over some more.

Current Tank Info: Aquarium: 75-Gal. Reef Aquarium
SkyReef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/13/2017, 07:30 PM   #1753
ClownsRCoo
Registered Member

I'm not trying to stop you. Just giving you a different perspective. These are lab grade pumps too designed for this kind of stuff so who is to say you wouldn't get a very long lifespan from them. If that's the plan you want to stick to then try it out and see how you like it

Unread 07/13/2017, 08:23 PM   #1754
SkyReef
Registered Member

The Display Readout on Masterflex Pumps

So my second Masterflex pump, Model No. 7523-20, arrived today, which should allow me to start doing automated water changes. I'm psyched!

I notice that the digital readout of this model has no reference to what the number displayed means. My other Masterflex, Model No. 7523-60, is slightly different. Comparing them side by side in the pictures below, you will see that the LED readout on Model 7523-60 informs the viewer that the number displayed registers the flow pumped, in mL per minute.

However, the LED readout on Model No. 7523-20 does not inform the viewer what the number displayed registers. Is it RPMs? Is it mL per minute? If it's not mL per minute, how do I calibrate flow? By running a manual test of the RPM equivalent of real water pumped out in mL?

Thank you for your help.

Photo of the two pumps, side by side:

Photo of the readout on Model No. 7523-60:

Photo of the readout on Model No. 7523-20:

Unread 07/13/2017, 10:26 PM   #1755
SkyReef
Registered Member

I couldn't find Masterflex literature on what the displayed LED number measures. But I'll presume for now that the number refers to the number of RPMs of the pump head. According to the flow-rate information published by Masterflex, each rotation of a Masterflex Easy-Load II, Model 7518-12 pump head using LS15 tubing flows 1.7 mL. If I use the larger-diameter tubing of the LS 24 tubing, the pump will flow 2.8 mL per rotation of the pump head! Of, course, I'll use the larger-diameter LS24 tubing to get more flow--equivalent to the LS-17 tubing!

Thus, in order to exchange a gallon of saltwater, the pump will need to flow 3785 mL of saltwater, which will take 1352 revolutions of the pump head. At 50 RPMs per minute, this will only take 27 minutes of pumping per day! Which brings us back to the idea of how to flow it out during the course of a day. If anyone knows that my assumptions and math are wrong, please let me know.

Otherwise, I'm going to go for it, at an Apex-controlled flow rate of 1 minute and 8 second pumped every hour, on the hour, for a total of 27 minutes per day. I'll report back if I run into any problems. Thanks for the great thread!

Last edited by SkyReef; 07/13/2017 at 11:20 PM.
Unread 07/22/2017, 09:10 PM   #1756
GQuinn
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClownsRCoo View Post
I use a stenner and here's mine. Also I have my mixing pump run for 10 min every hour from 6-10 to mix the water again and make sure the salinity is equal throughout. Then my stenner cuts on for 20 min after that to change the water. The process repeats 4 times every hour and runs 5 days a week. That gives me all weekend to refill my salt container for the next week. I have an optical sensor as well in case my water level in the bin drops too much before I mix up a new batch. Don't want to be pulling water from my sump without putting anything back in. Here are my programs

Mixing pump:
OSC 000:00/010:00/050:00 Then ON
If Time 22:00 to 17:59 Then OFF
If DoW S-----S Then OFF
If Float OPEN Then OFF

Stenner
Set OFF
OSC 010:00/020:00/030:00 Then ON
If Time 22:00 to 17:59 Then OFF
If DoW S-----S Then OFF
If Float OPEN Then OFF

Thanks for the program reference. What type of sensor are you using on your supply container.

GQuinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/22/2017, 10:20 PM   #1757
ClownsRCoo
Registered Member

Apex optical sensor

Unread 07/23/2017, 09:01 PM   #1758
SkyReef
Registered Member

Temporary Automated Water Change Station at Temporary Tank

Still building my new 80 gallon reef tank. In the meantime, my livestock was transferred from my defunct 75 gallon reef tank to a temporary tank (a second 80 gallon tank). Before I run lines from the automated water change system through the crawl space beneath the floor, I wanted to test it on the temporary tank set up.

Works great. So before it gets incorporated into my Apex system on my new tank that is still being finished, I set up the automated water change system on my temporary tank, using a simple timer on a power strip. The spent water will be pulled from the aquarium and deposited into the right-side 32-gallon trash can, while new salt water is pulled from the left-side 32-gallon trash can, into the tank, via the double-head, Masterflex pump. The timer is set to change 1 gallon per day, from 6:00 a.m. to 6:30 a.m. each day.

I already tested it manually. Works like a charm. Thanks for the idea, guys!

Pictures:

Whole Setup: Temporary Aquarium, Masterflex Pump, and Trash Cans, containing new and spent salt water.

Trash cans: Spent water into right can; new water from left can.

Masterflex Pump: Double-head pump.

Unread 07/24/2017, 08:07 AM   #1759
Lmax8rn
Registered Member

I am currently using a Stenner for automatic water changes. I set it up on a timer, runs every 1 1/2 hrs and changes a 1/2 gallon at a time. I have a total of 8 gallons a day on my 240 gallon display with a 110 gallon sump. REALLY nice! Sure makes things easier. Now, if they would only invent something that automatically cleans the glass!

Lmax8rn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/24/2017, 05:03 PM   #1760
GQuinn
Registered Member

What kind of tubing is everyone using from the pump to the tank. I thought I would use 1/4 ro tubing but the Masterflex doser I purchased tubing has larger nipples, possibly for 3/8 tubing.

Unread 07/24/2017, 06:18 PM   #1761
SkyReef
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GQuinn View Post
What kind of tubing is everyone using from the pump to the tank. I thought I would use 1/4 ro tubing but the Masterflex doser I purchased tubing has larger nipples, possibly for 3/8 tubing.
I'm using 1/4-inch vinyl tubing, connected to my Masterflex LS24 tubing, via straight-connector couplers that I ordered from Masterflex online. If you go to Masterflex's website, it will list the barb size for Masterflex tubing that you have on hand. Your pump head will list the LS tubing sizes that you can use with your pump. Once you know the tubing model no., you will know the barb size--e.g., whether 1/4 or 3/8--from Masterflex's website. Then you will know what size vinyl tubing to get, to attach to the tubing couplers. Good luck.

Unread 07/24/2017, 06:26 PM   #1762
GQuinn
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyReef View Post
I'm using 1/4-inch vinyl tubing, connected to my Masterflex LS24 tubing, via straight-connector couplers that I ordered from Masterflex online. If you go to Masterflex's website, it will list the barb size for Masterflex tubing that you have on hand. Your pump head will list the LS tubing sizes that you can use with your pump. Once you know the tubing model no., you will know the barb size--e.g., whether 1/4 or 3/8--from Masterflex's website. Then you will know what size vinyl tubing to get, to attach to the tubing couplers. Good luck.
Thanks for the information.

Unread 07/24/2017, 07:04 PM   #1763
SkyReef
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lmax8rn View Post
I am currently using a Stenner for automatic water changes. I set it up on a timer, runs every 1 1/2 hrs and changes a 1/2 gallon at a time. I have a total of 8 gallons a day on my 240 gallon display with a 110 gallon sump. REALLY nice! Sure makes things easier. Now, if they would only invent something that automatically cleans the glass!
Wow. You are changing 240 gallons of water per month? Why so much? If your sump runs at half full, you are changing 245/295 gallons per month, or 83% a month.

Unread 07/24/2017, 10:57 PM   #1764
Lmax8rn
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyReef View Post
Wow. You are changing 240 gallons of water per month? Why so much? If your sump runs at half full, you are changing 245/295 gallons per month, or 83% a month.
I forgot to mention I don't do it every day. I run it two days a week. Sorry for the confusion

Lmax8rn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/26/2017, 08:17 AM   #1765
biecacka
Registered Member

hope to have a DOS next week and get it up and running asap!

corey

biecacka is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/26/2017, 09:19 PM   #1766
lnevo
Registered Member

You can get a 3/8" to 1/4" john guest coupler

lnevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/27/2017, 01:46 AM   #1767
Sacohen
Registered Member

Yes you can.
A Google search found this.
https://www.h2odistributors.com/pi20...saAkLcEALw_wcB

Sent from my SM-G928P using Tapatalk

Current Tank Info: 55 Gallon Mixed Reef
Sacohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/30/2017, 03:34 PM   #1768
kenneth wolfe
Moved On

Atwc

Been running my sterner pump now for a few years, just a few things now that i have changed , now I buy the cheapest salt with the lowest values, for now it's the instant ocean brand , with my ato now being on kalk reactor for primary demand , I need a low starting point on my ALK, then I adjust evaperation to meet demand and for secondary phoshate reduction, in the ato from the rodi and also in display. This year I'm staying with the cheapest brand of salt , back off the amount of water change to what I feel is the minimum percentage of change, and use Triton to test both my atwc and display then make my changes to my atwc .

kenneth wolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/19/2017, 11:21 PM   #1769
Haksar
Registered Member

Great thread , will join the band wagon soon with a master flex 7523-40 .
Looking out for two easy load heads. If any one has spare ones please PM .
Also will check out US PLASTICS for tubes

Unread 11/15/2017, 11:36 AM   #1770
FLSharkvictim
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRThompson View Post
Thought I would document this and encourage questions/comments/suggestions.

I'm working on setting up an automated water change at 1% per day (for me about 2 gallons)

Ref: I'm referencing "Water Changes in Reef Aquaria" by Randy Holmes-Farley see link here http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-10/rhf/

Since my display tank is not on an exterior wall I've laid 3 lines of 1/4" tubing from my garage to my display tank thru the attic (each run is about 35 feet)
Two of these lines go up to the top of my canopy (one carries ATO and the other carries the fresh saltwater).
The 3rd line goes to my sump and will be the suction line for old DT water.
The continuous water change will be implemented using a double-head Stenner pump (100DM4 model). It has an adjustable output of up to 35gal/day/head. I'll be running this thru my apex and figured I would stagger it 6 times a day for 14 min/run.
Here is the equipment that I use in order to do an Automatic water changes.
Also, during these water changes you never have to turn any skimmer off or any pumps off while doing a water change with the DOS.

Equipment List:

Neptune DOS
Neptune 30FT Tubing or more.
1 EB8 Power Strip
PM2 Module for your salinity w/ Probe
InkBird Temp gauge controller
50ft AquaBus Cable that will connects to your Apex panel which us under my tank.
2 or 3 port TUBE Holder
Stepper Bit from Home depot
Acrylic Rod 12'' qty 2
TIMER - To kick on the pump to mix the salt 5 times a day for 30 minutes.

Above my mixing station, I have mounted a pcs of plywood right above. It has the 6 stage RODI, Booster Pump, EB8 power Strip, PM2 module, Salinity Probe, InkBird Temp Controller, PX40 PANWORLD WATER PUMP mixing my salt on the Mixing Station. Also, I have the options to put on the Banjo fittings if I want to do fast and large water changes or if I need some Fresh RO water I can pump it out at any time.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5858.jpg (52.9 KB, 52 views)
FLSharkvictim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/15/2017, 01:10 PM   #1771
Knighthawk
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLSharkvictim View Post
Here is the equipment that I use in order to do an Automatic water changes.

Also, during these water changes you never have to turn any skimmer off or any pumps off while doing a water change with the DOS.

Equipment List:

Neptune DOS

Neptune 30FT Tubing or more.

1 EB8 Power Strip

PM2 Module for your salinity w/ Probe

InkBird Temp gauge controller

50ft AquaBus Cable that will connects to your Apex panel which us under my tank.

2 or 3 port TUBE Holder

Stepper Bit from Home depot

Acrylic Rod 12'' qty 2

TIMER - To kick on the pump to mix the salt 5 times a day for 30 minutes.

Above my mixing station, I have mounted a pcs of plywood right above. It has the 6 stage RODI, Booster Pump, EB8 power Strip, PM2 module, Salinity Probe, InkBird Temp Controller, PX40 PANWORLD WATER PUMP mixing my salt on the Mixing Station. Also, I have the options to put on the Banjo fittings if I want to do fast and large water changes or if I need some Fresh RO water I can pump it out at any time.

Can we get some more pictures of this setup? Or we can talk in PMs if you want.

Knighthawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/10/2017, 02:06 PM   #1772
jcase
Registered Member

For those of you doing daily automatic water changes how has it been going?
How is your tank?

Does daily automatic water changes of about 1% per day negate the need to do larger water changes?

jcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/10/2017, 07:46 PM   #1773
elFloyd
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcase View Post
For those of you doing daily automatic water changes how has it been going?
How is your tank?

Does daily automatic water changes of about 1% per day negate the need to do larger water changes?
I auto change 2 gallons daily on a 180 gallon tank. Received Triton water analyst last week.... all results within range (green). No need for additional, larger, water changes.

Last edited by elFloyd; 12/10/2017 at 08:05 PM.
elFloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/22/2018, 05:02 PM   #1774
bxbe888
Registered Member

Just in case anyone interested setting up a simple automatic water change system, i am selling the stenner Pump 100DMP4 for $200.

Here is the link:
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...3#post25459403

I recently sold my 175g tank, and I have no use of this pump. I used to set it up to run 1.5 hour per day, which pumps in and out roughly 2 gallon per day. thanks

bxbe888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/28/2018, 09:25 AM   #1775
DRThompson
2018 FMAS President

this is the pump I use!! great price!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bxbe888 View Post
Just in case anyone interested setting up a simple automatic water change system, i am selling the stenner Pump 100DMP4 for $200.

Here is the link:
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...3#post25459403

I recently sold my 175g tank, and I have no use of this pump. I used to set it up to run 1.5 hour per day, which pumps in and out roughly 2 gallon per day. thanks

Current Tank Info: 180gal mixed reef, asm g4xx, LED lights, apex, 65gal sump, 2x mp40's, methanol denitrator
DRThompson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
automated, continuous water changes, daily water changes, stenner pump, water changes