Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > More Forums > Reefkeeping Online Magazine > Tank of the Month
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/05/2007, 10:19 PM   #26
Fudge
Registered Member

Wow ! Thanks All !

Quote:
Originally posted by eddybabyhd
absolutly awesome, I am building a plywood tank as we speak, and would love to see a build thread if you have one. Thanks
eddybabyhd , The link skipper provided could answer a few questions you may have im sure.
If you have more, Fire away !

Quote:
Originally posted by jaydub74
Excellent tank, would you be able to provide details on how you attached the rock to the PVC frame. It looks excellent.
Jaydub, The rocks were drilled in several areas and then fastened with zipties, a whooole lotta them
The tabs mounted during building were criticle for support without using rock.
Again there is some info in the link provided.

Quote:
Originally posted by myusername
Grate looking setup.
I would love to see more info on how you built the tank and skimmer. And if you built any thing else. It’s grate to see someone save some money in this hobby. I like how you set up your lights also. I pland to do something like that when I get my next Tank. and I wish you lived nearby, so you could show me how to save some money in this hobby.
Best of luck if the future.
Charles.
Myusername, I almost begin to think i didnt save a dime, because i had to build the projects 3 times to get what i wanted.
Or at the very least re-do the same one 3 times....lol.
I lost the pics of how the glass was laid into place, but i vaugely rememeber 7 tubes of caulking, finger squashing and more than a little cussin.

Quote:
Originally posted by rjrobert
Outstanding - Congratulations.

If that girl ever goes missing the first place the police need to look is inside your skimmer
rjrobert, naw, the "X" is occupying it right now. :P

Quote:
Originally posted by Waxxiemann
Awesome tank, I can only dream that my signifigant other would allow me to keep a tank that big =)
Waxxiemann, Please see above. .

Marc.

Current Tank Info: 1000g total system, 525g DIY Ply/Epoxy sps display- 370g DIY sump-105g DIY Dual dart skimmer

Last edited by Fudge; 11/05/2007 at 10:26 PM.
Fudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/05/2007, 10:31 PM   #27
pwhitby
Team RC Member

Hey Marc,

Very very nice tank....you did a superb job. I really love the aquascaping you worked there.

Very nice indeed.

I saw your thread a while past and stopped in from time to time. Very well deserved TOTM.

Paul.

Unread 11/05/2007, 11:43 PM   #28
FibberMcGee
Registered Member

Marc congratulations beautiful tank, great pick for TOTM.

Do be do be do. -- Sinatra
FibberMcGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/05/2007, 11:52 PM   #29
mlandrigan
Registered Member

Hey Marc,

Very cool aquascaping. I too love the open look! A couple questions... Could you explain in a little more detail your maintainance regimen for the sand? I read in the TOTM writeup that you clean it once a month. How do you keep from sucking up all the sand? Also, whenever I've tried replacing sand in my tank, it looks like a cloud for a few hours. Does this happen to you?

Thanks!

Matt

Current Tank Info: 125g fowlr peninsula, 53g diy fuge/sump in basement
mlandrigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/06/2007, 12:28 AM   #30
melev
Moved On

I've been following your build threads for a while on two different sites, and have always been blown away by your skills. Congrats on TOTM! It is very well-deserved.

melev is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/06/2007, 04:50 AM   #31
Freed
It's what it's

Fudge, what's the deal with the trigger in your hand? Is that during feeding? Or does it just like to swim in your hand and get the squeeze?

Current Tank Info: 180gal(1120 watts of MH/VHO light), 60gal "sump", Deltec 601 calcium reactor, Euro Reef CS8-3+ skimmer, 20 gallon QT
Freed is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/06/2007, 06:24 AM   #32
wbstyles
Registered Member

Awesome tank Bro! What did you do with your old skimmers? Wouldn't mind having one fo those. Much props to ya man.

WB

wbstyles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/06/2007, 08:08 AM   #33
Dustin1300
Reefaholic

I'm rather new to the hobby...at least the saltwater aspect of it, just starting in June but freshwater since about 2003. Anyways, am wanting to build an in-wall (currently using 55 gallon) after I think I've got a good knowledgebase....But, I just wanted to say I LOVE the plywood idea since in-wall it does not really matter that the rest of the walls are not clear. I've got one question, how thick is the front acrylic? GREAT TANK MARC!

Check out my tank in the Large Tank Forums, "A Reefaholic's 1000+ Gallon Mixed Reef System Build"!

Current Tank Info: 600 Gallon DT, 140 Gallon Grow Out Tank, 125 Gallon Sump, 90 Gallon Fuge, 200 Gallon Fish QT, 15 Gallon Frag QT
Dustin1300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/06/2007, 09:15 AM   #34
Dxmarinefish
Registered Member

Great Tank Marc. I am more impressed with all the DIY hard work you have put into it. "Where there is a will, there is a way".

Current Tank Info: Skimless Reef system
Dxmarinefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/06/2007, 11:16 AM   #35
Daytonarick
Registered Member

That tank is inspiring! Please, if you could, please explain how you did the rock on the PVC frame. I know several others have asked so please add me to the list!

Daytonarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/06/2007, 12:21 PM   #36
acro_reef77084
Registered Member

Awesome Tank!!!

acro_reef77084 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/06/2007, 01:53 PM   #37
Ziggy953
Registered Member

WOW!!! That is one of the most incredible tanks I think I have ever seen. Can you post the link to your build thread for me I would love to read thourgh it and see how you built the tank!

I really like the way you did the wall around the tank, the viewable area what ever you want to call it. That really looks amazing!

Thanks for sharing your tank! It is an inspiration!

Current Tank Info: 40g Breeder - RKE - LEDs the works...
Ziggy953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/06/2007, 03:58 PM   #38
RayAllen
Registered Member

Id have to say out of the many amazing aquariums ive seen on here this one is up there in the ranks. Love the oval shaped wall view, gives it a very professional artistic feel.

RayAllen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/06/2007, 05:01 PM   #39
acrouse
Registered Member

Amazing colors! Looks like a display that should be in a museum!!Congratulations-well deserved!!

jolene

acrouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/06/2007, 05:09 PM   #40
Flatlander
Premium Member

An amazing total set up Marc. Many of can only dream of having DIY skills like that. Congrats on your beautiful aquarium and its choice as TOTM.

Great write up & photo work also.

Current Tank Info: 50g sumpless sps tank..Evergrow 2081 led..Apex control..Tunze 9012 skimmer..Tunze calcium reactor..Tunze kalk reactor..2 rw8,s..1 MP40..1 Hydor Korillia 1200gph..Tunze ATO..all propagated sps frags
Flatlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/06/2007, 06:21 PM   #41
dphins
Last place no more!

This tank just makes me smile!

Current Tank Info: 120 rr tank. Hamilton Cebu light fixture.. Apex controller. ATB 840 v1.5 skimmer. Lifereef calcium reactor with Geo 2nd chamber. Tunze 6100, 6105 and 6045. 40 breeder sump with eheim 1262 return. Pacific coast chiller...
dphins is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/06/2007, 07:28 PM   #42
rus
Premium Member

Hey Marc , congrats and well deserved. Definitely on of my favourite tanks , lucky for me you live close by and I get to check it out and steal ideas all the time . By the way nice job on pics and article

rus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/06/2007, 07:29 PM   #43
rus
Premium Member

Hey Marc , congrats and well deserved. Definitely on of my favourite tanks , lucky for me you live close by and I get to check it out and steal ideas all the time . By the way nice job on pics and article

rus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/06/2007, 07:52 PM   #44
fishdoc11
catch and release

An amazing piece of work
Your DIY skill and aquatic husbandry are to be commended.
Very very well done and well deserved!

Chris

Current Tank Info: 70 gallon mixed reef
fishdoc11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/06/2007, 09:35 PM   #45
Fudge
Registered Member

Thanks Paul,
When my corals grow up, i hope they look just like yours !.

Quote:
Originally posted by mlandrigan
Hey Marc,

Very cool aquascaping. I too love the open look! A couple questions... Could you explain in a little more detail your maintainance regimen for the sand? I read in the TOTM writeup that you clean it once a month. How do you keep from sucking up all the sand? Also, whenever I've tried replacing sand in my tank, it looks like a cloud for a few hours. Does this happen to you?

Thanks!

Matt
Matt,

I vacume the sand weekly and some sand is lost, but atleast one a month i will pull sand while vacuming on purpose.
Yes it clouds the tank for the day when a new bag is added, but i just expect that now.

Quote:
Originally posted by Freed
Fudge, what's the deal with the trigger in your hand? Is that during feeding? Or does it just like to swim in your hand and get the squeeze?
Freed,

I noticed after hand feeding the fish for the first year, that the triggers were the dogs of the bunch.
They needed to pat me down on every occasion to see if i had treats .

It was kinda neat at first, but definatly a problem when thier teeth grew a little.

They actually jammed themselves into the cone of my hand in those pictures looking for morsels, and this was common.
For the last year i havent done this because it got a little out of control when gluing frags, rock placement, and small marks on my skin would promote sampling...
As you can see in the pics the tangs got quite comfortable too, but atleast they only plucked an arm hair or two a day.

Quote:
Originally posted by Dustin1300
I'm rather new to the hobby...at least the saltwater aspect of it, just starting in June but freshwater since about 2003. Anyways, am wanting to build an in-wall (currently using 55 gallon) after I think I've got a good knowledgebase....But, I just wanted to say I LOVE the plywood idea since in-wall it does not really matter that the rest of the walls are not clear. I've got one question, how thick is the front acrylic? GREAT TANK MARC!
Dustin,

The front and side viewing panes are glass, and 3/4" laminated Starphire.

Quote:
Originally posted by Daytonarick
That tank is inspiring! Please, if you could, please explain how you did the rock on the PVC frame. I know several others have asked so please add me to the list!
Datonarick,

I preglued structures of pvc, of the shapes that i had wished to see.
I then drilled holes throught the framework, to avoid stagnant areas aswell as have areas to mount rock to.

The base structures looked much like this when trying to get the shapes.

In that picture, this was the base structure, and a piece was made to come down to touch it, but is supported by the eurobracing of the tank.

The top piece was hung down.

Then it was just a matter of coral and small rock placment for the next little while... this was difficult as i had a hard time being patient for the corals to hide PVC that i could still see.
Some of it got pretty tedious as you can see in this photo, the little pieces needed attention too.

I kept the structures very simple in hopes the corals would do the finishing work.

Most of the layout :

Quote:
Originally posted by Ziggy953
WOW!!! That is one of the most incredible tanks I think I have ever seen. Can you post the link to your build thread for me I would love to read thourgh it and see how you built the tank!

I really like the way you did the wall around the tank, the viewable area what ever you want to call it. That really looks amazing!

Thanks for sharing your tank! It is an inspiration!
Thanks Ziggy,
http://reefcentral.com/forums/showt...threadid=686757

Marc.

Current Tank Info: 1000g total system, 525g DIY Ply/Epoxy sps display- 370g DIY sump-105g DIY Dual dart skimmer
Fudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/06/2007, 11:08 PM   #46
Elliott
Registered Member

wow, you have some serious DIY skills, absolutely beautifully thought out, stunning

TOTM, March 2015

Current Tank Info: tank video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=va1dI7mdnGU ,900g in wall mixed reef, another 500g sumps, 19 AI Sol LED's, 2 CL's w/VFD's controlled pumps to 24 eductors, 2 Tunze WB's, 2 Barr 5220's and RK2 25PE and BK500, etc
Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/06/2007, 11:46 PM   #47
FunkieReefJunkie
Registered Member

The aesthetics of every aspect of this tank just blow me away. Inside and out you've done a beautiful job!

May everyone be happy,
May everyone be free from misery,
May no one ever be separated from their happiness,
May everyone have equanimity, free from hatred and attachment.

Current Tank Info: Down to a 15 g from a 600g system. Nano is whole different ballgame.
FunkieReefJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/07/2007, 08:06 AM   #48
manosdr
Registered Member

Congratulations Marc! Awesome Tank!

Current Tank Info: I have a 100 g reef tank with sps,lps and soft corals,a lot of snails,shrimps, clams and 17 fish.
manosdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/07/2007, 09:05 AM   #49
shred5
Registered Member

I have to say I have been in the hobby a long time and very few tanks just blow me away anymore, but wow that is awsum. It is not so much the life inside the tank even though it looks awsum too and is going to look spectacular in a few years, it is the tank and the fact you built it your self and the other equipment. I thoroughly enjoyed reading about your tank it was very interesting. You should write a article for reefkeeping magazine on how you built the tank.

Come to think about it why do they not have a diy section to begin with in reefkeeping magazine.

Dave

shred5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/07/2007, 09:26 AM   #50
slapshot
Registered Member

Ok, I know this has been said a number of times but the best tank I have ever seen. I have seen some nice ones but your captivates my attention. I love the rockwork and the DIY is amazing. Great job!

slapshot is offline   Reply With Quote