Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Sponsor Forums > Aquaforest
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/05/2017, 01:03 PM   #1
Piper27
I love bengals

Energy and pastel colors?

I have noticed a lot of the aquaforest users are not getting any pastel colors on their acropora like the aquaforest shop tanks get and like most zeo tanks get. I am sure a large number of their corals are newly imported and somewhat pale from that but still they get a more pastel look to all of their acros it seems. A lot of users tanks I see pictured have somewhat normal coloration with "average" rich colors. With the exception of Debora who is now on the aquaforest team I was told? It makes me wonder since she was the only person I can think of getting results like the AF team shows. Almost as if it was one of aquaforests tanks. I am very curious as to if anyone is getting that ultra low nutrient look using the AF product line.

There is not any product AF has out that is really good a pushing this coloration except for the energy which seems to have a small amount of copper sulphate in it. I do have a lot of fish and feed a large amount. I wouldn't think a high amount of nutrient import and export would cancel out the ability of copper sulphate to lighten acropora or does it?

Aquaforest, are you guys using more of the energy product than is recommended on the label to get these results? If not what do you attribute to the low nutrient pastel look you guys are getting? Besides just high par with t5 and low nutrients. I would appreciate a reply with any detail or thoughts you can provide.

Is anyone using more of the energy product than recommended on the label to get less zoox and pastel colors? Or anyone using any of the color enhancing products in a higher amount? If so show some pictures of your acropora please.

Piper27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/06/2017, 01:27 PM   #2
Piper27
I love bengals

Maybe I should have simplified the post to "what is everyone using to get different for results?"

I figured this would be a good topic to start and some people would have something to add or some experiences to share, especially anyone who has switched to AF from zeovit or FM. There isn't much comunication between AF users even though it's a new product I figured more people would be playing with dosages. Seems everyones following the stacked media and dose exactly x amount of drops like AF says they are doing.

Unread 03/07/2017, 02:53 AM   #3
Debora
Registered Member

Hi Piper27!
We have big community at Aquaforest Group
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1490485151247025/

I will paste some examples photos of Aquaforest users:

Here is reef tank fully based on Aquaforest products from 1,5 year:
Before:

Now:

About me: I think that way to have pastels colors is keeping nutrients low and feed corals via supplements/foods and micro.
I know that someone has nice coloration under led light but to have really nice, colorful, pastels corals... everyone has T5 light.
I recommend to use zeolites (Zeo Mix) to absorb ammonia and NO2 to not let NO3 rise.
Use Phosphate Minus to adsorb PO4
Make water changes with good salt: I am using Probiotic Reef Salt from 4 years - to reduce NO3 and PO4 and feed corals good foods nd supplements - I always recommend pack: AF Amino Mix, AF Build, AF Energy, AF Vitality, AF Power Food.

Debora is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/07/2017, 05:08 AM   #4
Piper27
I love bengals

Thanks for chipping in on the thread Debora, those are some good examples of tanks that have that look. I have noticed t5 light is the best light for that look too.
Do you think having a high bio load even with "0 nutrients" makes it harder to achieve this look? I am wondering if I should give up on any copper sulphate additives in the future since I never got any change with the energy. Even at a higher dose.

Unread 03/10/2017, 12:36 AM   #5
Debora
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piper27 View Post
Thanks for chipping in on the thread Debora, those are some good examples of tanks that have that look. I have noticed t5 light is the best light for that look too.
Do you think having a high bio load even with "0 nutrients" makes it harder to achieve this look? I am wondering if I should give up on any copper sulphate additives in the future since I never got any change with the energy. Even at a higher dose.
I had time in my tank when I overdosed AF Energy. But I overdosed amino,vitamis also I saw brighter colors but in that time I feed more fish and corals.
It's important to find balance between 0 nutrients and feed.

Yep - for acropora coloration in my opnion there is no better light than T5.

Did you test on ICP your water?
How much amino are you dosing?
Are you using Zeo Mix?

Maybe I could help with dosing schedule.

Unread 03/10/2017, 05:12 AM   #6
Piper27
I love bengals

When I get a chance to take some macro pictures I will post a little about my tank and see if you have any tips. It is time for me to do an ICP test again since everything is starting to look good I want to see if there is anything off I can correct or if numbers are straight, it's been 6 months since the last one too.
I am using zeo mix in a reactor shaken daily and aminos.
The problem with balancing zero nutrients and feeding is I always have zero nutrients (to a point of clear test kits and zero on Hanna) and I feed a LOT of food. I have around 60+ fish and I know for a fact there is enough nutrients in the water since I have lots of good algae and a healthy volume of critters, snails and bugs breeding in the tanks. I just don't know is how to go lower without potentially causing issues. Plus there would be no way to measure it. Not that I particularly want to but it would be nice to see if it helps. Also I am dosing about as much carbon source that's healthy for the tank so I can't up that amount much.

Unread 03/13/2017, 04:14 PM   #7
justy
Registered Member

Hi just my two pennys worth. I have used the AF range at recommended dose rates for close to a year and never saw a lightning of coral colour? I have often thought the same thing as you but never got around to posting the question.
I would be very interested to hear peoples experience on dosing to get that pastel look that you see in the AF tanks.
Thanks for posting hopefully somebody else will chip in?
Cheers Justin

justy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/13/2017, 09:04 PM   #8
ClownNut
Registered Member

piper27 and Justy, what are your NO3 & PO4 reading?

Current Tank Info: 300DD, SM200/RD3,ATI 60-8X80+4X75, 2 Sea Sweep & 4X6105 & 6208
ClownNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/14/2017, 12:18 AM   #9
justy
Registered Member

While running AF No3 0.25-0.5 Po4 0.04

Thanks

Unread 03/14/2017, 05:34 AM   #10
ClownNut
Registered Member

That's why you are not getting the pastel color like other AF users. You werent at the ulns stage, you need no3 at 0 and po4 lower than 0.02ppm, otherwise the zooxanthellae grow faster than you decreasing them.

Current Tank Info: 300DD, SM200/RD3,ATI 60-8X80+4X75, 2 Sea Sweep & 4X6105 & 6208
Unread 03/18/2017, 07:16 AM   #11
Piper27
I love bengals

Sorry I lost track of this post. I have had 0 readings on both po4 and nitrate for a while now. I can get a few corals to lighten up but I think the amount of food I am feeding may be to blame for the colors on most corals staying deep. I like it like this though I am wondering how others are getting their pastel look. I am dosing more than the recommended amount of energy and don't want to overdo it or have things turn suddenly. What people are dosing to get a certain look and such would be helpful and informative since everything is suggested to be used at a set standard always.
The tanks pictured are nice but some seem like they were made just for the picture to be taken. Are their threads for each tank anywhere? No updates on these tanks that are used for showing off the product doesn't help us much. This would also be helpful. It seems not a lot of people are using AF to get the zeo look so any info on the tanks pictured or tanks not pictured would be nice.
I am very happy with my tank so far I just wish we had more information sharing going on with AF tanks.

Unread 03/18/2017, 09:11 PM   #12
ClownNut
Registered Member

yeah, AF did very well on marketing, but not so much on the information side.
but seem all the AF tanks that have zeo looks don't have many fish in there. have anyone try zeovit spur 2 instead of energy?

Unread 03/19/2017, 01:59 AM   #13
justy
Registered Member

I love the idea of the AF method but the lack of detailed information really winds me up.
Why can't they get their act together.
As I said before I use their products but how can you claim that you can achieve great results while cheery picking certain parts of their method.
Zeovit are very good at detailing exactly how to achieve the pastel look.
I have never used the zeovit method while not a huge fan of the pastel look i do like the overall health especially the AF tanks.

Unread 03/19/2017, 06:04 AM   #14
Piper27
I love bengals

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClownNut View Post
yeah, AF did very well on marketing, but not so much on the information side.
but seem all the AF tanks that have zeo looks don't have many fish in there. have anyone try zeovit spur 2 instead of energy?
Well my tank looks like it has no fish when I take a picture they always hide for some reason. But I have 30+ in a 150, so how do we really know? I guess a few we know have small fish load. I have thought this whole time this was my issue, too many fish to get much of a color change.
I have thought about using zeospur2 but wanted to start this thread first. I don't want to keep trying for results I won't get because I have a huge fish population and food input.

Unread 03/19/2017, 12:41 PM   #15
ClownNut
Registered Member

Quote:
Well my tank looks like it has no fish when I take a picture they always hide for some reason. But I have 30+ in a 150, so how do we really know? I guess a few we know have small fish load. I have thought this whole time this was my issue, too many fish to get much of a color change.
I have thought about using zeospur2 but wanted to start this thread first. I don't want to keep trying for results I won't get because I have a huge fish population and food input.
we dont, since they dont update any of thread with info. again great marketing not so much on the system details/update side.

Unread 03/21/2017, 04:48 AM   #16
Piper27
I love bengals

Aqua Forest, can you tell me if I am going after something that won't happen? Will my acros not lighten up because I have a high number of fish? I know most tanks running zeolites have smaller numbers of fish but I am wondering if I am wasting my time dosing energy or if it's safe to up my dose even more? 400 gallons and I am dosing 10-12 drops daily. It looks like pocillapora is the only coral that's affected at all. It's a nice light pink but acros haven't changed much.

Unread 03/23/2017, 07:27 AM   #17
Debora
Registered Member

Quote:
Aqua Forest, can you tell me if I am going after something that won't happen? Will my acros not lighten up because I have a high number of fish? I know most tanks running zeolites have smaller numbers of fish but I am wondering if I am wasting my time dosing energy or if it's safe to up my dose even more? 400 gallons and I am dosing 10-12 drops daily. It looks like pocillapora is the only coral that's affected at all. It's a nice light pink but acros haven't changed much.

Sure.
I recommend to have fish what you need. Good to add Zeo mix and feed fish not much. Do not overdose AF Energy.
Can you show pictures of your tank?

Unread 03/23/2017, 07:35 AM   #18
Piper27
I love bengals

I will get an updated picture of the tank but here is the page on my tank thread with the last updated tank shot. http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...2593410&page=6

I like to keep fish I like and fish for cleaning the tank so keeping minimal fish won't happen in any of my tanks. I don't nessesarily want pastel colors but I do want to keep them lighter and not completely saturated. I am fairly satisfied with how things are today but some of the corals are still newer and need time. I also feed the fish as much as I can while keeping nutrients barely readable. Which in this tank is a lot of food.

Unread 03/23/2017, 08:50 AM   #19
Anirban
Registered Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
I will get an updated picture of the tank but here is the page on my tank thread with the last updated tank shot. http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...2593410&page=6

I like to keep fish I like and fish for cleaning the tank so keeping minimal fish won't happen in any of my tanks. I don't nessesarily want pastel colors but I do want to keep them lighter and not completely saturated. I am fairly satisfied with how things are today but some of the corals are still newer and need time. I also feed the fish as much as I can while keeping nutrients barely readable. Which in this tank is a lot of food.
Your tank actually looks really nice with all those acros filling up the space.

Anirban is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/23/2017, 08:52 AM   #20
Piper27
I love bengals

Thanks, I figured a number would end up bland looking and a few wouldn't grow well so I will have space to make once they all get growing and I can tell what I like. Planned cutting and planed placement is going to be key for keeping things in check. They are all on their own bases for now.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk