Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/09/2017, 12:35 PM   #26
Frogmanx82
Registered Member

The foxface can eat hair algae but won't touch diatoms on the glass. The bristletooth tangs are best for that. My kole tang ate some hair algae it the really can't pull at it like the foxface

Check my homepage for tank pics and details.

Current Tank Info: 90 gallon, 2x maxspect R420R LED, 4 Ocellaris Clowns, Yellow Eye Kole Tang, Flame Angel, Foxface Rabbitfish, Banggai Cardinals, Azure Damsel, rock flower anemone, cleaner shrimp, serpent star
Frogmanx82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/09/2017, 12:43 PM   #27
Frogmanx82
Registered Member

The foxface can eat hair algae but won't touch diatoms on the glass. The bristletooth tangs are best for that. My kole tang ate some hair algae but can't pull at it like the foxface

Current Tank Info: 90 gallon, 2x maxspect R420R LED, 4 Ocellaris Clowns, Yellow Eye Kole Tang, Flame Angel, Foxface Rabbitfish, Banggai Cardinals, Azure Damsel, rock flower anemone, cleaner shrimp, serpent star
Unread 10/09/2017, 12:45 PM   #28
HippieSmell
Occupy Reef Central

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogmanx82 View Post
The foxface can eat hair algae but won't touch diatoms on the glass. The bristletooth tangs are best for that. My kole tang ate some hair algae it the really can't pull at it like the foxface
That's ok, I don't have a diatom problem, it's all gha on the rocks, back and side panes. I'd actually rather it not chomp on the front pane, because it's acrylic.

Current Tank Info: 78"x36"x27" acrylic, 6 Orphek Atlantik V3+ Compacts, MRC Orca Pro II w/washdown, CalcFeeder Pro AC3, Emperor Aquatics 80w UV, 80/20 aluminum stand, Vortech MP60's, Theiling Rollermat, GHL Profilux 3.1T EX, Kessil H380
HippieSmell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/09/2017, 01:06 PM   #29
LJLKRL
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HippieSmell View Post
Will foxfaces eat algae off the glass? Or, in my case, acrylic? Can their teeth scratch acrylic?
I have a one spot foxface and he never touches the glass. He is a big fraidy cat though.

LJLKRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/09/2017, 05:46 PM   #30
karimwassef
Registered Member

While foxface is a type of rabbitfish, it has a specialized mouth and not a universal algae eater like the true rabbitfish.

Failure isn't an option It's a requirement. 660g 380inwall+280smp/surge S/L/Soft/Maxima/RBTA/Clown/Chromis/Anthias/Tang/Mandarin/Jawfish/Goby/Wrasse/D'back. DIY 12' Skimmer ActuatedSurge ConcreteScape
karimwassef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/10/2017, 04:21 PM   #31
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

Quote:
Will foxfaces eat algae off the glass? Or, in my case, acrylic? Can their teeth scratch acrylic?
I wonder. Is a good question.

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
ca1ore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/10/2017, 05:17 PM   #32
xCry0x
Registered Member

Is there a reason why you are opting for a fish and not just getting some turbo snails?

Turbo snails are hands down top algae eradicators assuming you don't have snail killers in your tank.

Unread 10/10/2017, 05:36 PM   #33
HippieSmell
Occupy Reef Central

Quote:
Originally Posted by ca1ore View Post
I wonder. Is a good question.
I'm about to find out...

Current Tank Info: 78"x36"x27" acrylic, 6 Orphek Atlantik V3+ Compacts, MRC Orca Pro II w/washdown, CalcFeeder Pro AC3, Emperor Aquatics 80w UV, 80/20 aluminum stand, Vortech MP60's, Theiling Rollermat, GHL Profilux 3.1T EX, Kessil H380
Unread 10/10/2017, 05:46 PM   #34
HippieSmell
Occupy Reef Central

Quote:
Originally Posted by xCry0x View Post
Is there a reason why you are opting for a fish and not just getting some turbo snails?

Turbo snails are hands down top algae eradicators assuming you don't have snail killers in your tank.
My two bristletails and copperband have created a graveyard of snail shells in my tank. Any overturned snail gets mauled in short order. I just kind of hate snails. Too finicky. Plus, fish are cool. I like some of my fish to serve a function in the tank. Pest anemones are taken care of, now I need algae gone.

This tank has been up for a year, and I've already gotten bryopsis, which was taken care of with Epsom salt, then aiptasia because of a lapse in husbandry, and now gha for unknown reasons.

Unread 10/11/2017, 03:59 PM   #35
fryebaby9431
Registered Member

Lawnmower blenny!!! Mine eats algae all day long. Put a huge dent in my hair algae problem now it’s almost all gone. Lawnmower blenny will definitely do the trick

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fryebaby9431 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/11/2017, 04:52 PM   #36
Aslmx
Registered Member

http://m.liveaquaria.com/product/pro...726&pcatid=726
One of these babies will eat it all and quickly but you must rehome it when it's done or it will starve. I've never saw a fish eat hair algae.

Aslmx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/11/2017, 08:30 PM   #37
Frogmanx82
Registered Member

Then there is fluconazole. Worked wonders for me. It's not the final solution but it gets you out from under a bad situation and can keep you from giving up.

Unread 10/12/2017, 05:38 PM   #38
HippieSmell
Occupy Reef Central

I understand people want to help, but why suggest non fish solutions when I'm specifically asking for suggestions of fish? Like I posted earlier, I already purchased a magnificent foxface. You know, because I wanted a fish...

People always want you to do it their way.

Unread 10/12/2017, 07:15 PM   #39
Bpb
Registered Member

Second the recommendation of a big rabbitfish. Magnificent foxface would be a good choice. They do a marvelous job at all hair algae’s and eat bubble algae like candy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Bpb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/12/2017, 07:50 PM   #40
justletmein
Premium Member

I've got a couple goby looking critters I caught in the bay down here in Texas Gulf that are ferocious on the hair algae, they nip and tear it all day long non-stop. Unfortunately I have no idea what they are as of yet but I'll find out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aslmx View Post
http://m.liveaquaria.com/product/pro...726&pcatid=726
One of these babies will eat it all and quickly but you must rehome it when it's done or it will starve. I've never saw a fish eat hair algae.
I don't believe that's the right one, think the one you want is Dolabella auricularia.

justletmein is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/13/2017, 10:17 AM   #41
karimwassef
Registered Member

Pictures!

Failure isn't an option It's a requirement. 660g 380inwall+280smp/surge S/L/Soft/Maxima/RBTA/Clown/Chromis/Anthias/Tang/Mandarin/Jawfish/Goby/Wrasse/D'back. DIY 12' Skimmer ActuatedSurge ConcreteScape
Unread 10/14/2017, 06:41 PM   #42
justletmein
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by karimwassef View Post
Pictures!
Here's one, finally got a good pic. That fat belly is full of hair algae, eats it like spaghetti.

Last edited by justletmein; 10/14/2017 at 06:47 PM.
Unread 10/14/2017, 07:55 PM   #43
HippieSmell
Occupy Reef Central

Breed them and make $$billions$$

Unread 10/14/2017, 07:55 PM   #44
karimwassef
Registered Member

Looks like a creek chub baby
https://commons.m.wikimedia.org/wiki...teroclitus.jpg

Unread 10/14/2017, 08:05 PM   #45
alprazo
Registered Member

It is hit or miss, based on the individual fish over species. I’ve tried most listed and to be honest the best out there is the nudibranch. They will reproduce like crazy and eventually all die off when there is no food left.

Btw. The above fish looks like a sheepshead minnow or a similar species. An early maturing male, they tend to develop a blue sheen on their back

Unread 10/14/2017, 08:45 PM   #46
justletmein
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by karimwassef View Post
Dorsal fin appears to be too far back on that one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alprazo View Post
It is hit or miss, based on the individual fish over species. I’ve tried most listed and to be honest the best out there is the nudibranch. They will reproduce like crazy and eventually all die off when there is no food left.

Btw. The above fish looks like a sheepshead minnow or a similar species. An early maturing male, they tend to develop a blue sheen on their back
You may be on to something, I have an older/larger one as well and it's got a good bit more blue sheen. I thought he'd messed up his scales.

Unread 10/14/2017, 11:31 PM   #47
Jon0807
Registered Member

A single yellow eye kole tang wiped out all the GHA in my tank. Plus he's a great looking fish!

Unread 10/17/2017, 10:49 PM   #48
justletmein
Premium Member

Somebody it my other thread got an ID which I think is spot on for my little mystery fish.

Sheepshead Minnow (Cyprinodon variegatus)
https://tpwd.texas.gov/huntwild/wild...epsheadminnow/

Quote:
Sheepshead minnows are euryhaline (they can be found in freshwater as well as saltwater). They prefer quiet, shallow waters and have been found in saltwater bays and estuaries, as well as coastal inland areas such as creeks, canals and ditches. Sheepshead minnows are an important link in the coastal food chain. Their diet consists of plant material, algae, detritus (decomposing dead/animal matter), mosquitoes and smaller fish.

Unread 10/19/2017, 11:51 AM   #49
Uncle99
Crab Free Zone

I tried many of the above solution for green hair over the years, the only one that worked for me was the lawnmower Blen...... Got him about 3 years ago and by keeping nitrate and phosphate in control with NoPox plus this Blen I have virtually zero green hair on the rocks.
This fish does its job well

Uncle99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/25/2017, 01:04 PM   #50
fishsuse29
Registered Member

Quote:
I understand people want to help, but why suggest non fish solutions when I'm specifically asking for suggestions of fish? Like I posted earlier, I already purchased a magnificent foxface. You know, because I wanted a fish...

People always want you to do it their way.
How is Magnificent foxface working on your hair alage? I recently purchased a regular foxface and he seems to show no interest

fishsuse29 is offline   Reply With Quote