Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/09/2018, 04:10 PM   #1
Zalick
My reef tanks my wallet

Suggestions for new pumps & good flow

I'm looking for suggestions on new pumps and configurations to improve my flow. Any advice is much appreciated

DT is a 300g deep dimension. And its a peninsula right in the middle of my living room and dinning room.

I've been running 2 Gyres - 150 and 280 for the last couple years. I had been running 2 150s but upgraded to the 280 with advanced controller. I'm also running my return at about 700gph. When the Gyres were brand new, I had them running at ~50% and they blasted across my tank. Now I run them at 100%.......

The ultimate reason I'm ditching the Gyres is how frequently I have to take them apart and clean them. To maintain any sort of consistent performance its once a month minimum. I don't want to spend 30 minutes or so, once a month, cleaning two pumps.

My pumps must be quiet since the tank is just a few feet from the TV and couch. I had two MP60s but the hum was just a bit too loud. Now with the Gyres running at 100%, the noise is a bit much but we deal with it.

I can't really use MP60s anywhere but one side of the tank with the return pipes because the cable would look terrible hanging on the outside of the tank and up above the canopy.

Any closed loop type system that requires drilling is also not an option.

So, I'm looking for any suggestions on pump setup. I have two burms and detritus tends to collect in the middle of them since my only flow comes from each end.

Price is not an issue. I run an Apex as well.

I don't know much about the Tunze systems, but people seem to like them a lot. I was thinking of going with 7 Tunze Turbelle. One in each corner pointing diagonal in, 1 in the middle on each side and the last one pointing from one end towards to the other end where the overflow is located. Or maybe just 6 and only have one in the middle flowing between the burms.

Thoughts?

Current Tank Info: Me v Dinos - I'm winning for now...
Zalick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/09/2018, 06:03 PM   #2
Navig8tr
Registered Member

Tunze streams are very reliable and very quiet. They run for quite sometime before cleaning is required. I would go with the DC option. If you get them properly sized you can probably get away with 4. I would suggest getting a 7096 controller with them as well. It will give you a lot of variable flow options. The Stream 3 looks pretty amazing but I'm not sure how well your tank configuration would hide it. I would pose your question in the Tunze forum. Roger Vitko is the USA rep and he could tell you exactly what configuration would work best for your setup.

Navig8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/09/2018, 06:04 PM   #3
Zalick
My reef tanks my wallet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navig8tr View Post
Tunze streams are very reliable and very quiet. They run for quite sometime before cleaning is required. I would go with the DC option. If you get them properly sized you can probably get away with 4. I would suggest getting a 7096 controller with them as well. It will give you a lot of variable flow options. The Stream 3 looks pretty amazing but I'm not sure how well your tank configuration would hide it. I would pose your question in the Tunze forum. Roger Vitko is the USA rep and he could tell you exactly what configuration would work best for your setup.
Thanks for the tip. I'll definitely ask Roger for a recommendation.

Current Tank Info: Me v Dinos - I'm winning for now...
Zalick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/09/2018, 11:02 PM   #4
DesertReefT4r
Registered Member

For a large tank Vortex MP60 and MP40, Tunze and Gyre are I would consider for in tank pumps. CL and some Sea Swirls are most likely not an option at this point but are great on large tanks.

Tank history 29g tropical ,55g cichlid tank, 20H softy reef, 29g mixed reef, 20H brackish goby & puffer tank, 55g mixed reef, 6g Nanocube softy lps reef, 40B sps reef, 75g sps reef, 75g sps reef in bu

Current Tank Info: 75g sps reef build in the works.
DesertReefT4r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/11/2018, 11:33 AM   #5
nycman
Registered Member

Since you already have an Apex, consider Neptune WAV pumps. I recently replaced three MP40s with four WAVs. The WAVs are plug and play compatible with the Apex and are programmable, plus have features that the Ecotech MPs do not. The big "advantage" of the Ecotech MPs is the wet side/dry side avoidance of a cord inside the tank. However, the WAVs can be swifled to a 45% angle, which is not possible with the MPs. My MP40s were mounted on the sides of my tank (as recommended) but with the angling, I can mount all of my WAVs on the back wall. This in my mind, neutralizes the cord management issue with the WAVs versus Ecotech MPs. With them mounted on the back wall - I see little or no cord on the WAVs, but with the Ecotech MPs mounted on the side, you see lots of cord, even if not inside the tank.

Aqua UV 28W
nycman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
flow, gyre, tunze