Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/31/2018, 02:23 PM   #1
KarenLR75
Registered Member

Please help..afraid we'll lose whole tank and am in hospital

Unfortunately, I'm not going to have all of the details to make the best decisions, but if I don't at least try to see if there are quick things to try, my fear is ultimately we'll lose the whole tank.

I had knee surgery 2 weeks ago and my father in law who never spent a day in the hospital, was admitted and to our shock and heartbreak, he just passed away 2 nights ago. My husband, who the tank belongs to, is understandably in shock and grief stricken and his Mom is doing extremely poorly plus we found out she has a fractured hip.

The tank has basically had no maintenance in about 2 weeks and 3 nights ago, he noticed the corals weren't looking good...so he tested and nitrates were very high. He did a 30% water change (112 gallon tank). We had a case of red slime and got rid of our cheato (sp?) which was coated. We never expected all of these personal emergencies at once. There is no time to get chaeto and i'm unsure how long that would work...no time to get live brine.

He is busy helping with arrangements and trying to care for his Mom and juggling things I need during my hospital (trying to get other people to help me whenever we can). He told me today that the mandarin is just sitting on a piece of montipora and does not appear eating (he eats mysis and pods)

Is there anything that is a quick fix, other than more water changes, that can be done to bring nitrates down? He has a nitrate brick but I don't know how well it works to be honest.

He is with his Mom now..I will try to get what the nitrate reading was, but I can't ask too many questions at this incredibly painful time. I realize y'all may be unable to help without more info, but as I'm still in the hospital and am desperate, I thought I would ask...at this point with so many things crashing, I had to ask.

Last edited by KarenLR75; 02/01/2018 at 05:28 PM.
KarenLR75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/31/2018, 02:48 PM   #2
CRJ
Registered Member

Nitrates aren't the end of a tank. But a lack of food for fish that rely on it is. If the fish die and go unnoticed, that could crash the tank. And while being there for family is important, starving a fish is considered cruel (Sorry).

I would if possible do a 50-70% WC to bring the level down fast and get the feeding schedule in check. I understand it can be a hard time, but 10 minutes a day should be manageable and well worth the time considering the cost and wasted time if the tank crashes. Regular WC's will help if you used to dose regularly.

When I am on vacation, I do a 25% WC before, and the only duties i give the caretaker is food, fresh water top ups and if a temp alarm goes off or a leak happens, call me.

Sorry about the news, but unfortunately the world and our responsibilities don't stop when it feels like our world does. Hope all goes well!

CRJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/31/2018, 02:59 PM   #3
jacksonpt
Registered Member

Water changes should keep most things at bay. You can probably cut back on feedings a bit in the short term, too.

Do you know anyone locally who might be willing to help out? Any connections with a local reef club or good relationships with an LFS that you might be able to lean on short term?

Current Tank Info: 38g (mostly LPS) with a 20g sump/fuge and all the other standard goodies
jacksonpt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/31/2018, 03:45 PM   #4
HBtank
Premium Member

Large water changes, until things stabilize, and keeping up with proper feeding is where I would focus your limited time.

Current Tank Info: 80g tank, re-starting a reef after a zoanthid nudibranch plauge, followed by months of steady and unstoppable STN/RTN, crashed; stayed FOWLR for a couple years, currently an aiptasia dominated reef tank with fishies and BERGHIA
HBtank is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/31/2018, 08:37 PM   #5
rocsec1
Registered Member

Is there a local reef club? Reefers are always willing to help out another reefer. I bet you,can get some help that way. Where are you?

rocsec1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/31/2018, 10:07 PM   #6
DesertReefT4r
Registered Member

Sorry for the lose in the family. It is hard I know, my father passed last year and it can turn your world up side down. Sadly the world around us does not stop. Water changes and feeding the fish to keep thing going. Order some clean chaeto from Algae Barn and get that nutrient export going again.

Tank history 29g tropical ,55g cichlid tank, 20H softy reef, 29g mixed reef, 20H brackish goby & puffer tank, 55g mixed reef, 6g Nanocube softy lps reef, 40B sps reef, 75g sps reef, 75g sps reef in bu

Current Tank Info: 75g sps reef build in the works.
DesertReefT4r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/01/2018, 05:47 AM   #7
mcgyvr
Registered Member

What is "high" nitrates to you?

But water changes are the best/fastest solution..

Don't waste your time at this point in life trying to do anything else now as the results of all other methods are quite slow and it can be weeks before they start doing anything if that..

In the long run you will need to put a plan together to increase your export methods in some manner as a tank should never go from fine to "high" in 2 weeks.. You are either just over exaggerating the problem (as many times high to a newbie is not high) or over feeding or something..

I haven't done a water change in over 6 months on my tank and nitrates are around 5ppm. (just where I like them).. and they stay there..

Unread 02/01/2018, 07:54 AM   #8
Sorcha2
Registered Member

I would suggest selling the more delicate fish(Mandarin) to a local store or even giving it to another hobbiest and then replacing it when you have more time. Otherwise it's just going to starve to death. Where are you located? You might be able to find someone on here who would be willing to pick it up from your house.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Sorcha2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/01/2018, 08:07 AM   #9
rvareef
In Memoriam

where are you located?

rvareef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/01/2018, 05:23 PM   #10
KarenLR75
Registered Member

I'm in Fort Worth, Texas.

We had a fish only saltwater tank for over 5 years a couple of decades ago and had a mandarin that we got to eat live brine, mysis, etc. so this is not our first mandarin nor are we completely all around newbies but yes in some ways, especially with a mixed reef tank, I'm a total newbie and as always, despite 5 successful years with saltwater (started having children and put the hobby on hold), that doesn't mean I know squat in many areas as compared to some folks.

This mandarin was also eating mysis, etc.

The nitrates were at 30 checked with a Hanna checker & Red Sea test kit (I think he did both). To me that is high. After my husband did the 30% water change, the goniopora coral which had totally closed up opened up again. I just recently joined a local chapter group and tried to reach out to some of them but it was too late.

This was a horrible lesson learned. If I had been home, I would have tried to see if a local LFS would have taken him. All we can do now is to learn from what happened to the fish I loved the best.

I understand this shouldn't have happened.. All we can do now is to take steps and build relationships so that we have back ups..and back ups for our back ups to ensure this never happens again and a fish doesn't have to pay for it with his life

Last edited by KarenLR75; 02/01/2018 at 05:28 PM.
Unread 02/01/2018, 05:39 PM   #11
MCCOOL
Registered Member

I'm in the area, pm sent

Unread 02/01/2018, 07:13 PM   #12
JohnnyHildo
Registered Member

if nothing else looks to be working out there are tank maintenance services that have very fair rates and could easily cover a simple water change for you.

Current Tank Info: Acros - Zoas - Palys
JohnnyHildo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/01/2018, 11:39 PM   #13
KarenLR75
Registered Member

Thanks to everyone who offered kindness and/or helpful suggestions. All of those were appreciated....deeply. MCCOOL in particular offered kindness, connections, etc. and did so in a way that indicates he is a nice person ON and OFF these forums. Thank you for that.

Unread 02/11/2018, 11:27 AM   #14
BranchingHammer
Registered Member

Sorry to hear about your mandarin. Hope things pull through for your family.

BranchingHammer is offline   Reply With Quote