Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Disease Treatment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/20/2019, 11:24 AM   #1
OhsCC
Registered Member

Blue tang white fluffy spots

I have a 1.5" blue tang that has developed some fluffy spores on side and now on the head. These spots have developed over the past 3 days and seem to be spreading from the body to the head. The spots seem to be be protruding from the skin and feathering out. When the fish turns to the side you can see them sticking out from the fish.

I have had the fish for 3 months. I did the TTM QC with Prazi when I first purchased the fish. The fish seems to be eating and swimming regularly (flake and seaweed select seaweed). The fish just starting scratching against rocks trying to dislodge the items on the skin.

The other fish in the tank are a 1.5" yellow tang, 2 clownfish and a yellow line goby. The other fish do not seem to be affected at this time. The coral has mushrooms, xenia, green toadstools. I also have an urchin, snails and hermits.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1879.jpg (44.0 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1880.jpg (48.7 KB, 12 views)
OhsCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/20/2019, 11:43 AM   #2
OhsCC
Registered Member

I dosed prazipro just in case of a parasite. It looks like white hairs sticking out from the skin. I have had the fish for only one month and 1 week... not 3 months.

Last edited by OhsCC; 09/20/2019 at 12:33 PM.
Unread 09/20/2019, 02:42 PM   #3
carrots
Registered Member

Photos are not much help. Need a more close up but sounds like it could be Lymphocystis virus. White puffy cotton looking growths usually fall off in 4 weeks and if stress free, well fed and good water condition. You may never see another outbreak.

carrots is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/20/2019, 05:21 PM   #4
OhsCC
Registered Member

I believe this fish does have the Lymphocytes virus. It had a spot a few weeks ago that is now gone. That seemed more round. This time it seems more hairlike and spreading but I hope it is just lymphocytes.

There is a good fish store in the area that thinks it maybe anchor worms but she has never seen it in the marine hobby.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 6029DC95-84BB-4790-A764-992CB444B437.jpg (57.2 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg 1B04BE9E-1F70-4E55-BD57-3C79AE303808.jpg (38.5 KB, 8 views)
Unread 09/20/2019, 10:23 PM   #5
HumbleFish
Moved On

Hippo Tangs are notorious for getting Ich/velvet looking virus nodules. Similar to Lympho, but slightly different virus. It usually goes away in time, but feeding vitamin enriched foods probably helps put the virus back into remission.

HumbleFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/23/2019, 08:50 AM   #6
OhsCC
Registered Member

Thanks for the help. I came into work today (office tank) and the white things were gone from the blue tang. It must have been the Lymphocystis virus or a slightly different version as these were more hairlike instead of the cauliflower version that was noticed a few weeks ago. Crossing my fingers.