Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Disease Treatment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/12/2019, 12:35 PM   #1
HumbleFish
Moved On

How/what to feed a flounder in QT?

Anyone here have experience quarantining flounders?? I currently have one in QT (with sand), and I've tried target feeding him chunks of LRS, PE mysis, etc. but no dice.

Any advice would be appreciated.

HumbleFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/13/2019, 03:47 AM   #2
ThRoewer
Registered Member

Most of them are ambush predators who go after live fish or shrimp.
My only actual experience is with juveniles of the European flounder (Platichthys flesus), European plaice (Pleuronectes platessa), and common sole (Solea solea) which I caught myself on the German North Sea coast. I fed them live baby sand shrimp (Crangon crangon) and Mysis (both also self-collected) but they would also take frozen and flakes after a while.
Depending on the size of your flounder you could try baby mollies or any other suitable feeder fish and if you can get them, live feeder shrimp.
I also remember that they liked a lot of flow which usually triggered their feeding reflex.
Also, many flounders are nocturnal and sleep during the day. So, if yours doesn't eat during the day you may try your feeding attempts late in the evening or during the night.

Which species do you have?

Current Tank Info: 200 gal 4 tank system (40x28x24 + 40B + 40B sump tank + 20g refugium) + 30x18x18 mixed reef + 20g East Pacific biotop + 20g FW +...
ThRoewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/14/2019, 08:06 PM   #3
HumbleFish
Moved On

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThRoewer View Post
Which species do you have?

Hogchoker (Trinectes maculatus). I got it to eat PE mysis once. My biggest problem is figuring out where it's buried.

Unread 10/15/2019, 12:28 AM   #4
ThRoewer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumbleFish View Post
Hogchoker (Trinectes maculatus). I got it to eat PE mysis once. My biggest problem is figuring out where it's buried.
It takes a little practice but once you know what to look for they are not too hard to find. Eyes, mouth, and the gill exhaust opening are never really fully covered with sand and once you know the pattern it's not just easy to find but you should also be able to tell which way it lies.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Current Tank Info: 200 gal 4 tank system (40x28x24 + 40B + 40B sump tank + 20g refugium) + 30x18x18 mixed reef + 20g East Pacific biotop + 20g FW +...
Unread 10/15/2019, 12:42 AM   #5
ThRoewer
Registered Member

"... They mainly feed on small aquatic insects and invertebrates. ..."
"... preferring live food such as brine shrimp, Daphnia, mosquito larvae, and Tubifex worms. In the wild, they feed mainly by sifting tiny organisms (white sandworms in salt and brackish water, insect larvae in fresh) out of sand and mud. ..."

Based on this I would suggest to order some California bloodworms, tubifex, or start a few little mosquito cultures (= buckets with water) in the backyard. Just don't wait too long to harvest the mosquito larva so that they won't go through metamorphosis and hatch as bloodsuckers.
You might also want to think about setting up a daphnia culture. It's not too difficult and they are a great live food even for full saltwater fish.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Unread 10/15/2019, 01:30 AM   #6
ThRoewer
Registered Member

Prey selection by the hogchoker, Trinectes maculatus (Pisces: Soleidae), along summer salinity gradients in Chesapeake Bay, USA

The effect of temperature, salinity, and availability of food on the feeding and growth of the hogchoker, Trinectes maculatus

Unread 10/16/2019, 06:56 PM   #7
HumbleFish
Moved On

Thanks for the great info @ThRoewer