Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > The Fish Breeding Forum
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/29/2013, 07:55 PM   #101
Mark...
Registered Member

Its odd how he stopped posting after being so active...always wonder what happened...

would of liked to see his latest project...

Current Tank Info: 180
Mark... is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/01/2013, 08:07 PM   #102
Anemone12
Registered Member

Ya what happen? Are you still breeding?

Anemone12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/01/2014, 06:12 PM   #103
frankie33
Registered Member

would love an update! Prly not gonna happen, he hasn't posted in ages. But I live in the same area and am considering breeding clowns, would love to pick his brain if he had any luck in selling them in this area!

frankie33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/16/2014, 08:26 PM   #104
Finsky
Registered Member

I have recently been planning to breed Gold Bar Maroon clowns. I have started with a group of one inch fish from Petco in a 10 gallon tank with live rock, two Hagen 70 powerheads with quick filters and one Hydro 2 sponge filter operated with an air pump.

I have ordered a 20L/29 gallon Titan Eze Metal Double Stands, a Coralife T5 HO 30" fixture with four 31 watt bulbs, and glass lid. Will pick up an Aqueon 29 gallon next Saturday at Petco. I will use two Koralias, one on each end for circulation and filtration with the live rock as well as an Aqua Clear HOB filter with a Marineland sponge prefilter cut in half. This stand will be next to my 36" 65 gallon high planted Discus tank in the upstairs loft/bedroom.

I plan on setting up a 20L on the bottom as a grow out tank for eggs, fry, and babies.

Unfortunately, I am an apartment dweller, and the living room has the 120 gallon display with 200 lbs of live rock and a generous amount of crushed coral. Will move 30 to 40 lbs of live rock to the 29 gallon along with a one inch or so of crush coral. Will leave the 10 year old pair of mated Tomato clowfish in the 120 with their two RBTAs so will have to acquire another RBTA for the 29 gallon.

What temperature should I have the 29 gallon breeding tank and the 20L?

Also, I only have the room for one species and I really like the color of the Gold Bar Maroons.

What favorite clownfish species for breeding are out there?

Current Tank Info: 120 mixed reef - 250 lbs of live rock, Rena XP4, two Hydor Koralia 3250s, Aqua-Medic Tuboflotor multi 1000 skimmer - Two 60" Marineland Reef Capable LEDs - 8 1/2 years

Last edited by Finsky; 02/16/2014 at 08:27 PM. Reason: adjust
Finsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/22/2014, 10:24 PM   #105
Finsky
Registered Member

Awesome setups

This thread is awesome and inspires me. As I live in an apartment, I am limited to a 120 display in the living room, a 65 high planted Amazon tank with 16" sword plants and Discus, and now my over/under metal stand with a 29 breeding tank with room for a 20L for fry raising on the bottom.

The 29 gallon was setup today. It has a Coralife T5-HO fixture with 4 X 31 watts bulbs. This gives me 4.3 watts per gallon as I am trying to recreate the environment that keeps my 10 years old pair of mated Tomato clownfish still spawning. I used some of the 200 lbs of live rock from the 120 gallon along with an inch of crushed coral. I purchased a pair of Hydor Koralia 1,150 pumps which got delayed due to bad weather and will arrive Monday. One on each end about four to six inches below the surface on the front ends of the glass aimed across to the opposite back corners to create turbulence like I do with the pair of 3,250 Koralia pumps in the 120 display.

I will take out the Hagen 402 power heads that were in a 10 gallon as well as the Hydro Sponge filter for 20 gallon tanks. I am thinking of getting two Hydro Pro III sponge filters for 40 gallons each to run in the 20L for the fry. I have an Aqua Clear 70 power filter on the back which I hope to replace with an AquaFuge External Hang-On Refugium.

Back to the six to nine month old Gold Bar Maroons from Petco. I have two that are now officially childhood sweet hearts. They definitely have paired up after a couple of weeks as one of them is shivering and a shaking against the other. Question: Is this the male or female? They are playing nice with two smaller Maroons and I hope to have a Red Rose Bubble Tip in the center of the tank where I left a "hole" with a flat piece of live rock at the bottom.

29 gallon breeding tank for Gold Bar Maroon clownfish.

120 gallon display tank running for eight years with a pair of 10 year old mated Tomato Clownfish still spawning.

Current Tank Info: 120 mixed reef - 250 lbs of live rock, Rena XP4, two Hydor Koralia 3250s, Aqua-Medic Tuboflotor multi 1000 skimmer - Two 60" Marineland Reef Capable LEDs - 8 1/2 years

Last edited by Finsky; 02/22/2014 at 10:33 PM. Reason: additional information
Unread 02/23/2014, 04:59 PM   #106
Finsky
Registered Member

Hello:

My 29 gallon Gold Bar Maroon breeding tank has two Hydo Koralia Evolution 1,150 pumps arriving tomorrow from Dr. F & S to replace sponge filter and two Hagen 402 power heads with quick filters.

I already have an Aqua Clear 70 HOB filter on the back.

Do I replace the HOB filter with a 25" HOB refugium or leave the Aqua Clear 70 and add a protein skimmer?

If a protein skimmer is better choice, what would a good skimmer be for a 29 gallon breeder tank?

Finsky