with active cooling

Just get a peppermint hogfish, same colors but way cheaper

Cantonesefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/29/2009, 12:35 PM   #2
jnc914
Registered Member

Peppermint Angel

Per the Live Aquaria Facebook Update:

"Wow...Major news!!! Director Kevin Kohen reports he is in negotiations to bring in the elusive (SUPER RARE) Paracentropyge boylei to the Diver's Den if all things work out. This fish hasnt been for sale in the US since 1993.

That is incredible news.......

13 years strictly salty

Current Tank Info: 180 gallon FOWLR Angel dedicated tank
jnc914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/29/2009, 12:38 PM   #3
stunreefer
Reef Hugger

Sweeeeeeet...

Make your animals Thrive, not just Survive.
stunreefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/29/2009, 12:42 PM   #4
michael_cb_125
Registered Member

Time to start saving

~Michael

The more I learn, the less I know.

Current Tank Info: Elos Mini and 120
michael_cb_125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/29/2009, 12:50 PM   #5
michael_cb_125
Registered Member

Do we know who got one in the States when they were available? How long it (they) survived?

~Michael

The more I learn, the less I know.

Current Tank Info: Elos Mini and 120
michael_cb_125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/29/2009, 01:04 PM   #6
copps
Premium Member

Well... I guess it's public now! I've been eluding to this for a little while... and people could have extrapolated that it was coming after seeing fish like Pseudanthias privitera and the Cook Islands helfrichi that have been in the market...

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael_cb_125 View Post
Do we know who got one in the States when they were available? How long it (they) survived?

~Michael
I just told this story in my talk two days ago at MACNA in preparation... I even made the guy who got the first peppermint in the lower 48 in the early 1990s dig up the photos (literally)... which I showed in my presentation...

Buy fish that excite YOU, and respect others' passions.
Yes, we know, there's a cheaper and prettier fish than the one we’re talking about.

Current Tank Info: displays are 1300 gallon SPS (8.5' x 6' x 42"), 240 gallon anemone, and 350 gallon fish only
copps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/29/2009, 01:27 PM   #7
LuvAngels88
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by copps View Post
Well... I guess it's public now! I've been eluding to this for a little while... and people could have extrapolated that it was coming after seeing fish like Pseudanthias privitera and the Cook Islands helfrichi that have been in the market...

I just told this story in my talk two days ago at MACNA in preparation... I even made the guy who got the first peppermint in the lower 48 in the early 1990s dig up the photos (literally)... which I showed in my presentation...

Hey John,

I wish I could have stayed. Looks like I missed some BIG news as well as, I'm sure, an interesting presentation! There's always next time, I guess. It was an honor to meet you, sir!

LuvAngels88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/29/2009, 01:36 PM   #8
myerst2
Registered Member

So John, Copps, sooooooooooo are you in the market for a boylei?

myerst2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/29/2009, 01:36 PM   #9
copps
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvAngels88 View Post
Hey John,

I wish I could have stayed. Looks like I missed some BIG news as well as, I'm sure, an interesting presentation! There's always next time, I guess. It was an honor to meet you, sir!
It was great meeting you too Susan! I try and make all of my presentations appeal to everyone, but I always have to sprinkle hardcore stuff in for us absolute nuts, which you are! (remember, that is a compliment in our community!)

Yes, we know, there's a cheaper and prettier fish than the one we’re talking about.

Current Tank Info: displays are 1300 gallon SPS (8.5' x 6' x 42"), 240 gallon anemone, and 350 gallon fish only
Unread 09/29/2009, 01:40 PM   #10
copps
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by myerst2 View Post
So John, Copps, sooooooooooo are you in the market for a boylei?
Only if you include being in the market for a sponsor along side of that... This news has been a couple of years in the making... which I obtained from the namesake of this fish himself...

Unread 09/29/2009, 01:41 PM   #11
mdrc
Registered Member

thats great if he gets it.......any guess of how much it will retail for?

Chris

Current Tank Info: a sps tank in the works
mdrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/29/2009, 01:49 PM   #12
copps
Premium Member

Knowing there is a line of people in Asia and Europe for this fish... that have a lot of money and have been waiting a long time... I can give an educated guess of...

ALOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Unread 09/29/2009, 01:51 PM   #13
myerst2
Registered Member

Will these boylei's het Japanese markets first? Have any actually been caught yet? What type of number will they bring in the states? 10-15K? There are only a handful of people in the states who have the means and desire to spend that type of coin. Man I wish having the means was as easy as the desire!!!!!!!

Unread 09/29/2009, 01:56 PM   #14
myerst2
Registered Member

In case anyone out there doesn't know what a Peppermint looks like, then look below.

Unread 09/29/2009, 02:02 PM   #15
mdrc
Registered Member

ok ive done a bit of digging, and looked at a wholesaler who says if they can get it(which i doubt) retail on it would be 25,550+ shipping to the states. they export out of taiwan so.....wow.

Chris

Unread 09/29/2009, 02:03 PM   #16
myerst2
Registered Member

Any chance while down there in the deep abyss they will scoop up a narcosis?

Man I am so pumped about this fish!!! T

Unread 09/29/2009, 02:03 PM   #17
mdrc
Registered Member

Quote:
Will these boylei's het Japanese markets first? Have any actually been caught yet? What type of number will they bring in the states? 10-15K? There are only a handful of people in the states who have the means and desire to spend that type of coin. Man I wish having the means was as easy as the desire!!!!!!!

i don't think this is a group of fish being collected i think its just a single fish every 10 years or so its not what market they'll hit first just people who have the most connections will get it

Chris

Unread 09/29/2009, 02:06 PM   #18
copps
Premium Member

Quote:
I'll let Liveaquaria and Kevin unfold the details as they go public... and I won't mention details, but I will say that despite the common notion, the good old USA has first rights to this fish...

There are plenty of aquarists with the means and desire to spend that type of coin, but few that can couple it with the technical skill and ability and desire to give this fish the home that it needs...

Unread 09/29/2009, 02:07 PM   #19
fishkid6692
Registered Member

WOW! i am super excited right now. i'm guessing this fish will sell for upwards of 10 grand. time to start selling everything i have thats not needed to survive lol. this is my dream fish. anyone have an idea of when it will go up on DD? or even when DD will get it it?

Current Tank Info: 180g - 4' by 3' by 2'. bubbleking mini 180, apex controller, (2) vortech mp40's, phosban reactor, geissmen moonlight fixture
fishkid6692 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/29/2009, 02:09 PM   #20
mpoletti
You'll never walk alone

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishkid6692 View Post
WOW! i am super excited right now. i'm guessing this fish will sell for upwards of 10 grand. time to start selling everything i have thats not needed to survive lol. this is my dream fish. anyone have an idea of when it will go up on DD? or even when DD will get it it?

I'd say double your estimate Matt; at least

c.) Why chase numbers?
#CoralsLiketoDisco #ReefSerenity
mpoletti is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/29/2009, 02:10 PM   #21
copps
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdrc View Post
ok ive done a bit of digging, and looked at a wholesaler who says if they can get it(which i doubt) retail on it would be 25,550+ shipping to the states. they export out of taiwan so.....wow.
There is a short list of people who have direct access to this fish... and none are in Taiwan...

Unread 09/29/2009, 02:10 PM   #22
mpoletti
You'll never walk alone

Quote:
I'll let Liveaquaria and Kevin unfold the details as they go public... and I won't mention details, but I will say that despite the common notion, the good old USA has first rights to this fish...

There are plenty of aquarists with the means and desire to spend that type of coin, but few that can couple it with the technical skill and ability and desire to give this fish the home that it needs...

No matter what John, This is really cool news. I agree that its not so much about the money as there are some major players that have the coin to drop, its also about creating the correct environment for this awesome specimen.

c.) Why chase numbers?
#CoralsLiketoDisco #ReefSerenity
mpoletti is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/29/2009, 02:12 PM   #23
mdrc
Registered Member

im not saying they can get it im just saying there saying they can get it lol if that makes any sense

Chris

Unread 09/29/2009, 02:16 PM   #24
copps
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdrc View Post
im not saying they can get it im just saying there saying they can get it lol if that makes any sense
I'm talking direct access to the fish... my four year old can buy and resell them from the DD (if they ever get one) if he clicks the mouse fast enough!

Unread 09/29/2009, 02:19 PM   #25
mdrc
Registered Member

Quote:
I'm talking direct access to the fish... my four year old can buy and resell them from the DD (if they ever get one) if he clicks the mouse fast enough!
ya..... i doubt they even have the means to get it....and you say they can't get it direct....but if you want one for under 4k go to www.marinesgardens.com
i thought this was funny. go to dwarf angels and scrool through till you find it

Chris