Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/18/2018, 12:34 AM   #676
o2manyfish
Registered Member

Navarchus or Majestic Angels I think are one of the most beautiful fish in the world. They are also one of the fastest maturing angels in the Pomacanthus species. While most angels don't start changing to adult coloration till they are 5-8" in size. The Navarchus starts maturing at less than 2". As a true juvenile they look very similar to an Annularis angel. In August I purchased a young angel with just a small orange dot on the back. Now 2 months later the orange is starting to spread. I look forward to growing this beauty all the way out.

This guy is in the overflow of my 180g outdoor frag tank. I don't feed him. He feeds himself by hunting.

There is a quick shot of my other Navarchus. I have had him for over 18 months in the main frag tank. I was lucky enough to get him from a friend in Bali. He came in at 3" with mature coloration in the body but still showing some juvenile stripes. As you can see in the video he still has a couple of stripes.

Not a great quality video, but the little one is really shy.

Dave B

Current Tank Info: 560g SPS Dominant Reef / 1500g Total System
o2manyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/21/2018, 08:31 PM   #677
jestronix
Registered Member

Love your tank setup mate. Ive run outdoor tanks before and the growth is NUTS and health is second to none.

Ive just setup my new tank using a plasma LEP light, hopefully matching the suns amazing quality but with a bit more control. Sunlight was hard to deal with seasonally or in hot hot weather. I ran some pretty big bills keeping things cool.

jestronix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/25/2018, 08:42 PM   #678
saf1
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by o2manyfish View Post
Navarchus or Majestic Angels I think are one of the most beautiful fish in the world. They are also one of the fastest maturing angels in the Pomacanthus species. While most angels don't start changing to adult coloration till they are 5-8" in size. The Navarchus starts maturing at less than 2". As a true juvenile they look very similar to an Annularis angel. In August I purchased a young angel with just a small orange dot on the back. Now 2 months later the orange is starting to spread. I look forward to growing this beauty all the way out.

This guy is in the overflow of my 180g outdoor frag tank. I don't feed him. He feeds himself by hunting.

There is a quick shot of my other Navarchus. I have had him for over 18 months in the main frag tank. I was lucky enough to get him from a friend in Bali. He came in at 3" with mature coloration in the body but still showing some juvenile stripes. As you can see in the video he still has a couple of stripes.

Not a great quality video, but the little one is really shy.

Dave B

Hi Dave - nice fish. Quick question. What are the little blue looking fish with maybe white(ish) tails? Are those in the damsel family? Maybe it was the lighting making me think they are damsels.

Current Tank Info: 210 gallon mixed reef
saf1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/25/2018, 10:32 PM   #679
fishy_mcfish
Registered Member

Wow nice write up and what a journey!! Glad everything,including yourself is doing great today!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fishy_mcfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/24/2018, 11:59 AM   #680
ReefKeeper64
Wanna be a reefkeeper

How's everything with o2manyfish? Hopefully you haven't been affected by fires the past few months.

Unread 01/30/2019, 09:43 PM   #681
o2manyfish
Registered Member

Hey Guys,

Well, after 15 years of putting all my equipment outside I finally have to bring some equipment back into the house. Behind the filter wall I have a storage room. So popped a few holes in the wall and put the new Calcium Reactor and Dosing / Feeding Fridge inside.

They are sitting on a Bathtub Drain pan. I will be adding a leak detector in the bathtub drain to let me know about oopsies.

Years ago I was invited to see Art Carvahlo's install and I fell in love with his sexy Dastaco Calcium Rx. The Dastaco was just pure sexyiness. But its also got that fragile look to it. And that sexy missing tube off the side is just dying for me to break it off if it was sitting outside with my other equipment.

So now with the protection of equipment inside I got the sexy Dastaco EXT9.

Here is everything up and running. For a ridiculously overpriced sexy reactor they stick a crappy looking label on the monster chamber. I just couldn't stand it, so I upped the ante (just a lil).

As you can see I have to go spend a fortune on more media. Will update when my back is strong enough to haul that crap home.

Dave B

Unread 01/31/2019, 02:04 AM   #682
Achilles Torben
Registered Member

Congratulations Dave, good choice! Since four years I run a Dastaco, too. It's my second now. One year ago I bought a bigger one. The problem at Dastaco is that it's run months without maintance and you will forget to look after that maschine. And than the pipe of the dosing pumps closed by something or the magnetic ventile does not work correctly and you does not recognize that for a few days. Two times that happens to me and KH goes down to 5 until I recognize. The corals thanks to me. So I bought a Alkatronic now that give me few times a day the KH to my smart phone. Now I am safe

Greetings Torben

Achilles Torben is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/31/2019, 09:23 AM   #683
o2manyfish
Registered Member

Hi Torben,

I got the Alkatronic this past summer. And I have been enjoying the confidence of it watching the system. I have the Dastaco Alarm connected to my Apex. And I have the Alkatronic connected to the Apex - When your kH gets to high do you turn off the Dastaco or just the CO2 to the Dastaco? Not sure the best way to control the Dastaco on/off to keep thing dialed in.

I'm also going to add a pH probe to the Dastaco to give me heads up if the Dastaco is clogged or just out of CO2.

Hope all is well on your side of the world.

Dave B

Unread 01/31/2019, 09:49 AM   #684
biecacka
Registered Member

I have always eyed the Dastaco reactor but my bank account says NO at the time. Have you seen the new reactors from Bill Wann? Same concept as the Dastaco basically. They aren’t as sexy but I hear great hints about them. What kind of reactor did you have before, I’m curious to hear your input on the differences.

Corey

biecacka is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/31/2019, 09:57 AM   #685
o2manyfish
Registered Member

Biecacka/Corey

I have a custom Bill Wann Reactor that I have been running for the past 3 years. Bill's approach is different. I bought the Aquarium Engineering because of the way its built so I could leave it outside and not worry about it.

But with the way my system is configured I had a hard time getting enough effluent through the unit.

For the past 5 years I have been running Dastaco Media (in my 2 previous reactors). I love how clean it burns and it lasts forever. Bill's Reactor was not designed to work with media that needs to be burnt at a ph under 5.8

Dave B

Unread 01/31/2019, 12:08 PM   #686
Achilles Torben
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by o2manyfish View Post
Hi Torben,

I got the Alkatronic this past summer. And I have been enjoying the confidence of it watching the system. I have the Dastaco Alarm connected to my Apex. And I have the Alkatronic connected to the Apex - When your kH gets to high do you turn off the Dastaco or just the CO2 to the Dastaco? Not sure the best way to control the Dastaco on/off to keep thing dialed in.

I'm also going to add a pH probe to the Dastaco to give me heads up if the Dastaco is clogged or just out of CO2.

Hope all is well on your side of the world.

Dave B
Hi Dave

I didn't connect Alkatronic to Dastaco because I never had the problem that KH rise to fast. My problem in the past was that it fall down to fast. I get four times a day the measurement of Alkatronic and if KH rise slowly a few days I change settings of Dastaco again. I never change the settings of Dastaco the last three months and all ICPs and measurements by Hanna KH Checker are exactly 7.35 KH. Better a Kalkreactor can't work. So you will never get the problem of rising KH to fast just fall down of hardware problems.

On this side of the world almost is fine hope you are too

Greetings Torben

Unread 02/01/2019, 09:32 AM   #687
acesq
Registered Member

Dave:

I doubt you need to monitor the Ph on the DaStaCo. The built in alarms will sound when you are out of CO2 or the flow through the reactor drops or increases. And I agree with Torben about connecting the Alkartronic to the DaStaCo. Jonas recommends controlling the power to the DaStaCo with the bluetooth plug that the Alkatronic controls but the Alk changes so slowly if you are getting Apex alerts or Alkatronic alerts of a rising Alk you can turn off the DaStaCo using the Apex. If Alk is dropping, you need to increase output directly at the DaStaCo anyway.
Luckily for all of us who love gadgets, DaStaCo is working on their own alk monitor/controller that will fully control the reactor!

Unread 02/01/2019, 01:15 PM   #688
biecacka
Registered Member

Very interesting Dave. I thought the Bill Wann were new CaRx similar designed to the Dastaco. I didn’t realize they were that old. I spoke to him briefly about the digital read out on the new ones and they seem nice. But, the Dastaco is one sexy looking reactor for sure. I love my GEO, but if I grow out of it......

Corey

biecacka is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/26/2019, 02:07 AM   #689
o2manyfish
Registered Member

Hi Guys,

I came across something interesting and I wanted to share. We all know that stability is key to being successful in this hobby. And if you go thru this thread over the years you know that my goal has always been to do less and less to take care of my tank.

I love the amount of technology I can add to my tank to keep an eye on it while not actually having to have eyes on it.

This tech has really been cool to teach me how much things are really changing while we try to keep things stable. With the addition of my Alkatronic Alkalinity Monitor I was able to see how fragging one large montipora colony in my system dropped the consumption of alkalinity in an 1100g system with 1000 pcs of coral by over 50% and it took 4 days until consumption was back to normal.

I can actually see Alkalinity rise in the system when I take a turkey baster and blow off the rocks.

My current system - 1100g total system volume: 400g Display tank lit by 8 Radions- they turn on at 5pm - Peak at 8pm - Stay Peaked till 1am and then fade out till 2am. Everything else is outside and in direct sunlight - No covering or shade. I have a 330g Sump, a 140g sump/fish holding tank and a 180g Frag tank.

I recently upgraded my calcium reactor and took the pH probe out of my calcium reactor and tossed it in my sump... and forgot about it.
Tonight I went to check that probe to see if it needed calibration and came across a remarkable graph:

http://www.o2manyfish.com/pics2post/2019/pH - Frag Tank vs Sump.PNG

The graph is courtesy of my Neptune Systems Apex. The Orange Line is the Alkalinity. This is checked every 2 hours via my Alkatronic. Ignore it for the time being, and also ignore what it's doing. The Green Line is the pH probe in my 180g outdoor frag tank. The pH probe sits right before the overflow teeth.

The red line is the pH probe that is in the main sump, right where all the water returns from the Frag Tank and Display tank.

Looking at the chart the Green line is peaking much higher and sooner than the red line. On Feb 20th the peak is at 11am, the 21st at noon, 22 at 12:30, 23rd at noon,24th at noon, 25th at 11:30.

The times of these peaks vary because on the 19th, and 20th we had rain. Rain clouds change when the peak brightness of the day is.
Now going backwards a bit the greenline starts to rise at 7:15am on every day... Sunrise.

The red line is the pH in the sump. This is right where the water is coming back from the frag tank and the display tank. The frag tank is getting about 800gph turnover (that value is from my Neptune Flow meter monitoring an Abyzz A200). Every 15 mins the Frag Tank water is being turned over.
The red line (pH in the Sump) doesn't reach it's daily peak till 2 hours after the frag tank.

Now here is the first part that amazed me. That Green line over the red line is the pH being generated by photosynthesis. Look how much just the frags are producing!

At first I saw the gap between the Red and green and thought - oh the probes are not calibrated correctly. But look how both start tracking the downhill run the same. The pH lines are running in parralel and the difference between the 2 probes on each day is .05.

Guess what time it is the the lines become parrallel...
5:15pm 6:15pm 5:45pm 6:15pm 7pm 6pm --- Anybody wanna guess why the lines are becoming parrallel at those times?

Sunset is at 5:40 to 5:45pm - Take into account rain storms and clouds and you can see that once the sun goes down the pH between frag tank and the system is consistent.

This was the first thing that amazed me. That the frag tank was driving the pH of the system.

The other thing was that the pH drops (and keeps dropping) from sunset till sunrise.

But let's not forget about the display tank. A 400g reef packed from front to back, left to right, and top to bottom.

http://www.o2manyfish.com/pics2post/2019/400g as of Feb 25th.jpg

The display tank is double the size of the frag tank, and I would guess has 2.5x the coral mass.

The Radions in the display tank turn on at 5pm and peak before 8pm.... Do you see any change in the parralleling pH lines.... Nope

The Radions don't seem to generate any pH at all! And this to me is astounding. I know the sun is more powerful, I know its brighter, and I know how much better it grows corals than inside. But to see how much more energy less coral is producing in sunlight is really amazing.

Now we can discuss the Orange line -- That's the Alk. Now with the Alk don't look at the details (actual value) or the lack of stability in the alk - I had some tech issues.

But compare the Alk graph to the Green pH graph. About 90mins after the pH peaks the Alk drops -- every day. The Alkatronic during this graph is measured every 120mins. But the point is there. You can actually see the corals getting juiced up by the sun and then using that energy to suck in the alk and grow.

I think this is some really amazing data. I am sure there are people with more science that can explain this in more detail and using a better selection of science words... But for me... *****in!!!

Dave B

Unread 03/12/2019, 07:47 PM   #690
o2manyfish
Registered Member

I get so used to taking quick pics with the cell phone that I sometimes forget I spent a fortune on a real camera.

Here are some shots from Monday night:

Montipora - Reef Raft Diablo

Montipora - Leng Sy Nodules

Montipora - Leng Sy Colony 2

Montipora - Kung Pao Colony 2

Montipora - Grafted Setosa Under 20k+

Montipora - Grafted Setoasa Under 12k

Montipora - Reef Raft Diablo Small Colony

8' of Corals

8' of Corals

Acropora - Aussie Blue Green Colony

Unread 03/12/2019, 07:55 PM   #691
o2manyfish
Registered Member

Acro - Smooth Skin

Acropora - Smooth Skin with Flameback Angel

Acropora - Dave's Red Acro

Milliepora - Purple/Blue

Acropora - Purple Bottle Brush

Acropora - Multicolor Acro

Acropora - Blue Vermiculata and Miyagi Tort

Acropora - Fox Flame Grow Out - Gift from the Tedinator

Acropora - UC ICE Tort - Single Polyp Grow Out

Acropora - Cali Tort

Unread 03/12/2019, 07:57 PM   #692
o2manyfish
Registered Member

[SIZE="5"][COLOR="Teal"]Acropora - 4+ Year Efflo Growout

Aropora - Cool Blue Smooth Skin

Acropora - Blue Purple Polka Dot

Acropora - Blue Pink Aussie

Acropora Blue Pink Aussie with Leng Sy and Slimebackk

Acropora Blue Green Aussie on Island

Unread 03/12/2019, 09:00 PM   #693
thetedinator
Registered Member

Things look great Dave.

Current Tank Info: 240g tank
thetedinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/13/2019, 06:50 AM   #694
Achilles Torben
Registered Member

Great corals Dave

Greetings Torben

Unread 03/20/2019, 09:04 AM   #695
o2manyfish
Registered Member

Thought it was time to update the fish list.... Holy smokes I don't think I have ever had this many fish in the tank. And things are going well (Knock on Acrylic).

You can always try to double check my list by watching the tank on the webcam.

www.o2manyfish.com/webcam --- Aquarium lights come on at 5pm PST and 11am on the weekends.

Dave B

Unread 04/07/2019, 06:14 PM   #696
ReefKeeper64
Wanna be a reefkeeper

I checked out your camera and have to say, it works really well. I found myself zooming around checking things out near and far away. That tank is wall to wall corals and fish. What a beauty.

Unread 04/15/2019, 08:21 PM   #697
o2manyfish
Registered Member

Hi Folks,

With the new 180g frag tank up and running it gives me the chance to collect more unusual fish.

And with the tank only being a few weeks old, the unusual fish in the frag tank are like nothing you have ever seen before... I guarantee it.

It's a 10min video with me rambling and stuttering. But turn off the volume and see something nobody else has.

Dave B

Unread 04/18/2019, 02:29 PM   #698
finrod2
Premium Member

Hi Dave, Been following your expoits for a while now, Great tank. I believe you mentioned you are using all Radion LEDs now. DO you know what PAR your SPS are receiving? Thanks,
Mike

Current Tank Info: 375G 84"x42"x27" SPS/Fish
finrod2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/12/2019, 09:29 PM   #699
o2manyfish
Registered Member

Hey RC Large Tank Lovers,

Not sure how it's been so long since I updated the thread. It's mid September and the fish and corals are doing better than ever before.

Corals are growing like crazy - Colors are awesome. Colors were actually better about 6 weeks ago, but I got lazy in keeping the dosers fiiled an runnning accurately.

Using the Coral Essentials product line has been super easy and the results have been great. Colors better than any other time in the past 15+ years of keeping SPS.

Here are some video of what's been going on in the past few months.

Unread 09/12/2019, 09:32 PM   #700
o2manyfish
Registered Member

Here was a video I shot before RAP and MACNA.