Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/06/2018, 08:09 PM   #1
HarrisonMG
Registered Member

Foxface is Brown??

Hi,
Ive had my One Spot Foxface for almost 2 weeks now, and until a day or two ago he seemed perfectly normal, swimming around. But he would always flash his spikes (don't know if that is normal or stress-related).

Now, he almost always has a brown band from the middle up to his spikes, and down the length of his body, that I thought only happens when he's stressed. I couldn't figure out for the life of me what could be wrong, though!

I mean, its been that amount of time where he should be getting adjusted by now, the other fish are all relatively peaceful -- clownfish, labot damsel, flame angel, gramma, scooter blenny. All params are good last I checked. Run two of 6 T5s for about 10 hrs a day. Feed twice a day, pellets and a frozen smorgasbord, and have a seaweed clip that he eats from along with the damsel and flame, gone within hours.

Is this something other people have had issues with, should I be worried, is there something important I've overlooked?

Thanks so much!

HarrisonMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/06/2018, 10:43 PM   #2
Crooked Reef
Registered Member

Something is stressing it but you may never find out what. Years ago I had a Midas Benny that kept his stress colors for a couple of months then just went bright gold after that. Perhaps something is going on after lights out and it isn’t sleeping well?

Current Tank Info: 90 gallon reef. Biocube 29 lionfish tank. Mantis tank.
Crooked Reef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/07/2018, 07:19 AM   #3
Bpb
Registered Member

Yeah foxface are chameleons. Not quite to the same degree as a squid, cuttlefish, or octopus, but they can shift colors dramatically and at will. My onespot can go from bright yellow to solid black in the blink of an eye. It is always a stress response too. Yellow is the happy color

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Bpb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/07/2018, 07:51 AM   #4
HarrisonMG
Registered Member

Hmmm. I guess I will spend some time poking and watching, otherwise not anything I can think of to do for now and just hope the issue resolves itself.

The only agression I've ever seen is between the angel and hassler, and the clowns and damsel. Maybe foxface is just finding his place in the tank.

HarrisonMG is offline   Reply With Quote