Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/04/2018, 09:49 PM   #1
Bryanmc1988
Registered Member

Will 1/2” weld on 16 cure?

So I accidentally use a little to much Weld On 16 to build a layer, it ended up being 1/4-1/2” of Weld On 16, I cant scoop some out as it has already skinned. Will this cure being so thick and will it end up going flat when it’s fully cured? Being as thick as it is, what would be the safe time period to have this fully cured?

Bryanmc1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/05/2018, 05:44 AM   #2
mcgyvr
Registered Member

It will eventually cure..
Expect a week or so at the very least for full cure..

BUT... even though the product is intended as a "gap filler" (think minor gaps) its really not intended to be used to build up thick layers with itself like that..

IMO scrape it out and do it properly..That is not the proper way to fix your sump either..
You simply need to apply a square of acrylic on the inside of the sump over the hole thats there.. Don't only fill the hole with solvent..

Unread 12/05/2018, 08:14 AM   #3
Bryanmc1988
Registered Member

The hole is not filled with solvent. That would be trouble bound to happen. The hole is filled with epoxy sculpting putty used to make rock work or to bond reef rocks together. The putty is cured now and hard as a rock. I meant to pour a thin layer of the weld on 16 then adding an acrylic sheet over it. Didn’t end up that way lol, I poured the solvent in to cover the area 15” x 4” and didn’t realize how much of a layer it was. It looks to be about 1/8” of solvent to me. I then went ahead and added a clear 14-1/2”x3-3/4”x1/4” acrylic sheet over it and pushing it down into place. The amount of Weldon 16 over filled the acrylic sheet and now covereing the top of it bringing the level from 1/8” solvent to 1/2” total w/(solvent + the clear acrylic sheet inside).

Hopefully that clears things up. When testing the weld on 16 it would go on wet but when dry it would shrink. The amount i poured in the sump was marked and it does seem to be shrinking when it’s curing. It dries to a hard base like melted down acrylic.

Last edited by Bryanmc1988; 12/05/2018 at 08:25 AM.
Unread 12/05/2018, 08:23 AM   #4
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Ok.. Thats better I guess.. Just give it plenty of time.. a week may be plenty sufficient..

and yes.. sounds like you seriously over poured

Unread 12/05/2018, 12:17 PM   #5
Bryanmc1988
Registered Member

Sounds good, I touch it this morning and it’s already harden at the top. I’ll give it 2 weeks just to be safe