Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Responsible Reefkeeping
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/27/2007, 05:19 PM   #26
ReefDoctorMicromussas
Moved On

Location: Fringes of the REEF and cultural desert Arkansas, USA
I am willing to bet that he did not ask the question to learn what was in the best interest of the coral... My bet is that he has the tank somewhere that it is on display and would like it to always look "awake" The answers provided here address the corals needs perfectly, so I will avoid what we all see as obvious and instead point out the aesthetics...

The answer that he needs is .. Leaving the lights on 24/7 will make the coral look bad, it will retract and not bloom in the pretty way that you want, soon the coral will begin to degrade and show signs of failure to thrive resulting over time in coral death

ReefDoctorMicromussas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/04/2007, 10:22 AM   #27
CleveYank
20 Years and Over

A 24/7 photo period is not a part of the reef's natural order of things.

Corals of all kinds can adapt to many things. A 24/7 photo period is not one of those things.

CleveYank is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/16/2007, 12:23 PM   #28
fishquaria
Registered Member

Put very simply, Photosynthesis is the manufacturing process for the synthesis of sugars. After manufacture they need to be 'packed', 'distributed' and made available to be 'consumed' this happens in the absence of light. When photosynthesis is not happening. So consider it this way, if you had fifty people working in a factory, during production you'd have as many people as possible working on that, production. Packing etc, would take place in the night, when raw material for manufacture isn't available. Now if manufacture went on and on, you wouldn't be able to get the product out and into the hands of the consumers in time. So you'd be doing a lot of damage, and stariving a lot of people... A very simple explanation.

fishquaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/24/2007, 07:13 PM   #29
awestruck
Registered Member

Here's my .02 FWIW: I never leave my lights on 24/7 for all of the reasons previously mentioned; additionally, fish need quiet time too.

I vary my lighting schedule a lot because I try to imitate (well, as best as I can) what's going on outside. For example, sometimes I turn the actinics on and then turn the daylights on several hours later. Sometimes I only turn the actinics on for the entire day. Sometimes I push the lights as far back as I can (my t5s are on legs) thus the back is more lit than the front, and sometimes I reverse it so the back is more dim than the front. Most of the time all of the lights are on and evenly distributed throughout the tank. And, sometimes I leave the lights off for a day and just have some light coming in through the windows.

My goal is not to see totally rapid growth from my corals. My goal is to imitate Mother Nature as best as I can, even though my set up is nowhere near as sophisticated as it could be. My tank is healthy and everything is thriving and growing...

Again, just my .02

Current Tank Info: 65g. w/20g. sump; Reef Octopus Skimmer; (2) x 150w. MH and (2) x 65w. pc. sump-mixed reef
awestruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/26/2017, 09:56 AM   #30
MR Bowfront
Registered Member

What if it is moonlight from a programed LED?? Is there a advantage from running 20% moonlight during the night hours?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

MR Bowfront is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/26/2017, 10:54 AM   #31
sde1500
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR Bowfront View Post
What if it is moonlight from a programed LED?? Is there a advantage from running 20% moonlight during the night hours?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

10 year old post but decent info at least. Moonlights are for nothing beyond aesthetics really.

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2548422

Current Tank Info: 65 gallon mixed reef, Eshopps sump and HOB overflow, RO-110int skimmer, Reefbreeder 32" photons V1.
sde1500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/26/2017, 10:58 PM   #32
SeaMonkee
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by loosecannon View Post
i keep my refum on 24/7. but if i were keeping m.h.,s on 24/7 i wood run a cord over to my next door nabres home sssssshhhhhhh!
OFF Topic, but kinda funny. When I was just getting out on my own I had a rental house/duplex as my first place, and started to notice the PG&E bill never really came. Until I remembered I never registered for it, I didn't think too much of it. Neighbor started complaining that his gas bill was huge, and a subsequent attic repair concluded that the duplex was setup where my unit's were run by his supply lines after the meter. I miss those non-existent bills.

Current Tank Info: New Start
SeaMonkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/01/2017, 05:46 PM   #33
Cajunreefer87
Registered Member

Definitely too much light. Bye bye coral.

Cajunreefer87 is offline   Reply With Quote