Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/25/2017, 10:21 PM   #876
ReefKeeper64
Wanna be a reefkeeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by shih87 View Post
My 2017 first FTS with RC banner fish, a Sohal Tang

Your Sohol tang is a beautiful fish. Definitely the show fish of your tank now. How is he working out? Is he content? Does he get along with your yellow tang?

Unread 03/26/2017, 09:30 AM   #877
shih87
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReefKeeper64 View Post
Your Sohol tang is a beautiful fish. Definitely the show fish of your tank now. How is he working out? Is he content? Does he get along with your yellow tang?
It actually was a sad story on my Sohol tang reefing history.....

She was my 3rd Sohol tang and still not made over 3 months in my tank. The first two were chased hard by yellow tang and always loss on food fighting game. So this time I got the 3rd one much bigger than my fellow tang (I had a rule not spending over US$100 for a single fish, but this one cost me US$130. sigh….), and she was winning over food fight. I though I finally got it, but one day came home after weekend trip, she was gone with only bone left.

I am still struggling on why I seldom lost fish in my tank (well, Anthias may always become less and less…), why losing the battle of keeping Sohol tang. Now I suspect my fish food does not have enough algae but that does not explain why my yellow tang grow since last tank for over 3 years. If anyone have a good theory behind, please let me know.

R二R TOTM Oct 2017
Aquaforest ROTM June 2019
shih87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/26/2017, 08:22 PM   #878
mike810
Registered Member

Do you have a waste container to collect the discharge after a KHG test has been run or are you dumping it back into your tank?

I apologize if this has been answered already.

mike810 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/27/2017, 01:37 AM   #879
shih87
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike810 View Post
Do you have a waste container to collect the discharge after a KHG test has been run or are you dumping it back into your tank?

I apologize if this has been answered already.

Yes, I do have a waste container to collect discharge instead of dumping it back. However, official said it is harmless of dumping back. Reason I treat it as waste is because since I start adding Aquaforest Reef Mineral Salt for balling, take out some tank water (I run dry sikimmate) just make better balance from my view.

R二R TOTM Oct 2017
Unread 03/27/2017, 06:42 AM   #880
martinphillip03
Registered Member

Maybe you can take your yellow tank out of your aquarium for a couple of days when you introduce your next Sohol tang. Also maybe you should supplement your feeding with sheets of algae on a feeding clip.

Marty

Quote:

She was my 3rd Sohol tang and still not made over 3 months in my tank. The first two were chased hard by yellow tang and always loss on food fighting game. So this time I got the 3rd one much bigger than my fellow tang (I had a rule not spending over US$100 for a single fish, but this one cost me US$130. sigh….), and she was winning over food fight. I though I finally got it, but one day came home after weekend trip, she was gone with only bone left.

I am still struggling on why I seldom lost fish in my tank (well, Anthias may always become less and less…), why losing the battle of keeping Sohol tang. Now I suspect my fish food does not have enough algae but that does not explain why my yellow tang grow since last tank for over 3 years. If anyone have a good theory behind, please let me know.

martinphillip03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/27/2017, 07:51 AM   #881
ClownNut
Registered Member

Quote:

sorry to hear, i have opposite exp with sohol. i find that fish "unkillable". both of them start around 3-4". about 2 years apart in 2 different tanks.
in my case, both of them gotten bully by others tangs from day one. and yet they handle the stress very well and grow. of course, the reason they were no longer in my tank. story end the same way, as soon as they got to the size they can be the bully, let's just say payback is a B. it got to the point is it or all other fish.

Current Tank Info: 300DD, SM200/RD3,ATI 60-8X80+4X75, 2 Sea Sweep & 4X6105 & 6208
ClownNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/27/2017, 03:01 PM   #882
ReefKeeper64
Wanna be a reefkeeper

Sorry to hear about your Sohol tang. I've never owned one but from the ones I've seen, they look like a muscular fish that needs a lot of calories to grow and sustain their metabolism. You may be right about tbe diet and algae needs. Are you going to try again?

Unread 03/28/2017, 02:49 AM   #883
bif24701
Registered Member

Quote:
Thanks. I test Alkalinity daily but through KHG to automate test it for me, then run once a week Hanna KH test to double check KHG readings are correct. I also test Salinity, Ca, Mg, K+ before and after water change, so either every week or every two weeks.
For NO3 (Salifert) and PO4 (Hanna ULR), I test once a week, but may test more if I change food sources or adding bioload (e.g. more fish).
Temperature, PH, ORP are just rely on Apex probe reading, no manual test involved.

For trace elements, I usually do NOT test them via test kit, but through coral performance. When coral color or grow went down side, I test Cu, Iodine, Sr, Iron via Salifert test kits.

Haha, I do hope someone teach me coral growing and fragmentation, but usually end of reefers told me they can only teach me if a frag in their tanks first. Haha

Here are some before and after photo while I cleaned my hard disc and found some old photos.

Where does your PO4 and NO3 run on average, I also have the Kessil AP700 and would like to know what you program is like.

I am also running a combo of the Kessil/T5. 2 60" ATI Blue + and 2 Kessil AP700s. Will be adding two more 60" ATI Blue + T5s over my 180 next month.

I think the Kessil matches the color of the ATI blubs very well and the seem to complement each other very well.

My Kessils peak at 80% for 8 hours with a 2 hours ramp up/down, T5s are on for 10 hours. Corals are responding well, a few have faded a little color but I think its because my NO3 has dropped under 10ppm. I feel with intense lighting corals need more nutrition and though I try to feed a lot it still isn't enough.

Kessil AP700/ MP60+6105
Kalk+2 part/ Cheato Fuge

Current Tank Info: 180 SPS Dominant
bif24701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/28/2017, 09:01 AM   #884
shih87
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinphillip03 View Post
Maybe you can take your yellow tank out of your aquarium for a couple of days when you introduce your next Sohol tang. Also maybe you should supplement your feeding with sheets of algae on a feeding clip.

Marty
Good idea. Now.... How I take yellow tang out? I never try it, are they easy catch? welcome any suggestion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClownNut View Post
sorry to hear, i have opposite exp with sohol. i find that fish "unkillable". both of them start around 3-4". about 2 years apart in 2 different tanks.
in my case, both of them gotten bully by others tangs from day one. and yet they handle the stress very well and grow. of course, the reason they were no longer in my tank. story end the same way, as soon as they got to the size they can be the bully, let's just say payback is a B. it got to the point is it or all other fish.
Shame on me... Many friends also told me they can't believe that I can keep coral easy but fail on Sohol... haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReefKeeper64 View Post
Sorry to hear about your Sohol tang. I've never owned one but from the ones I've seen, they look like a muscular fish that needs a lot of calories to grow and sustain their metabolism. You may be right about tbe diet and algae needs. Are you going to try again?
oh, yes, but I am waiting a good size one from my LFS.

R二R TOTM Oct 2017
Unread 03/28/2017, 09:08 AM   #885
shih87
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bif24701 View Post
Where does your PO4 and NO3 run on average, I also have the Kessil AP700 and would like to know what you program is like.

I am also running a combo of the Kessil/T5. 2 60" ATI Blue + and 2 Kessil AP700s. Will be adding two more 60" ATI Blue + T5s over my 180 next month.

I think the Kessil matches the color of the ATI blubs very well and the seem to complement each other very well.

My Kessils peak at 80% for 8 hours with a 2 hours ramp up/down, T5s are on for 10 hours. Corals are responding well, a few have faded a little color but I think its because my NO3 has dropped under 10ppm. I feel with intense lighting corals need more nutrition and though I try to feed a lot it still isn't enough.
My NO3 is about 0.2 ~0.5ppm and PO4 is 0 ~ 0.03 ppm.
My Kessil program is very similar to yours.
I do feed twice volume of aquaforest suggest ABEV dose, and turn off skimmer for two hours during feeding.

R二R TOTM Oct 2017
Unread 03/28/2017, 06:41 PM   #886
bif24701
Registered Member

Quote:

I do feed twice volume of aquaforest suggest ABEV dose, and turn off skimmer for two hours during feeding.

Have you downloaded the new app version? Lots of fixes for the Kessil.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kessil AP700/ MP60+6105
Kalk+2 part/ Cheato Fuge

Unread 03/28/2017, 07:06 PM   #887
chercm
Registered Member

any pic of the tank on where you place the wav?

Quote:

Just arrived...

Never use any wave maker other than Tunze, I hope Apex WaV won't let me down.....

chercm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/28/2017, 11:16 PM   #888
shih87
Registered Member

Quote:
Have you downloaded the new app version? Lots of fixes for the Kessil.

Thank you. i actually don't know that. Kind of give up on Kessil's software. However, if your experience is positive, I am going to update mine ;-)

Thanks again.

R二R TOTM Oct 2017
Unread 03/28/2017, 11:17 PM   #889
shih87
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chercm View Post
any pic of the tank on where you place the wav?
I just simply removed my 6095 on both sides, and moved up my two 6105, then 6105 original places now are for Apex WaV units.

Sorry I don't have a new photo yet, but basically like my CAD draw below still.

R二R TOTM Oct 2017

Last edited by shih87; 03/28/2017 at 11:27 PM.
Unread 03/28/2017, 11:29 PM   #890
bif24701
Registered Member

A Smart? Aquarium in Taiwan...

Quote:
Thank you. i actually don't know that. Kind of give up on Kessil's software. However, if your experience is positive, I am going to update mine ;-)

Thanks again.

I was a beta tester and the new app is much much improved, I also suggest you ensure that the light fixture latest firmware is confined/updated. The launch firmware/app where not too great however these updates are leaps and bounds better. You will be pleased. You will have to connect the fixtures to a computer or laptop to update the firmware but it's certainly worth it, just takes a few minutes. After you download the new app got to the Kessil website and download the firmware. Then edit/preview/save your schedule, done.

Kessil AP700/ MP60+6105
Kalk+2 part/ Cheato Fuge

Last edited by bif24701; 03/28/2017 at 11:34 PM.
Unread 03/29/2017, 12:32 AM   #891
shih87
Registered Member

Quote:
I was a beta tester and the new app is much much improved, I also suggest you ensure that the light fixture latest firmware is confined/updated. The launch firmware/app where not too great however these updates are leaps and bounds better. You will be pleased. You will have to connect the fixtures to a computer or laptop to update the firmware but it's certainly worth it, just takes a few minutes. After you download the new app got to the Kessil website and download the firmware. Then edit/preview/save your schedule, done.

Very cool. Knowing a beta tester on my thread which I can call help, I am not worry.
However, can you clarify a bit on the following....
"The launch firmware/app where not too great however these updates are leaps and bounds better"

What could possible happen?

R二R TOTM Oct 2017
Unread 03/29/2017, 03:43 AM   #892
bif24701
Registered Member

Quote:
Very cool. Knowing a beta tester on my thread which I can call help, I am not worry.

However, can you clarify a bit on the following....

"The launch firmware/app where not too great however these updates are leaps and bounds better"

What could possible happen?

They have improved the app and firmware and now there are none of the problems people first complained about when the fixture launched in 2016. There is no downside to updating both. Now as it is the app has no known issues and for me works flawlessly.

Kessil AP700/ MP60+6105
Kalk+2 part/ Cheato Fuge

Unread 03/31/2017, 10:17 AM   #893
shih87
Registered Member

Quote:
They have improved the app and firmware and now there are none of the problems people first complained about when the fixture launched in 2016. There is no downside to updating both. Now as it is the app has no known issues and for me works flawlessly.

Great and thanks. I will give it a try over our long weekend this week.

R二R TOTM Oct 2017
Unread 04/01/2017, 01:29 PM   #894
Piper27
I love bengals

Quote:
Hey, I also dose more than recommended with the aquaforest a b v and e. Have you noticed any changes in your corals since? Which ones do you feel contribute to corals color or growth most?
I keep my nutrients right at 0 but feed very heavily. I can't seem to get the corals to lighten up with their copper sulphate additives, they seem very mild. Do you feel the same way?
I wonder why aqua forest is so strict about their dosing. They always tell users to not overdose. I guess they are afraid of users, who are not to experienced, having issues.

Piper27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/01/2017, 02:37 PM   #895
Stolireef
Registered Member

Quote:
I just simply removed my 6095 on both sides, and moved up my two 6105, then 6105 original places now are for Apex WaV units.

Sorry I don't have a new photo yet, but basically like my CAD draw below still.

Shih:

Most important question. Who is the girl in your CAD drawing and can you get me her telephone number?

Current Tank Info: 125 Rimless Leemar, Apex, Trigger 30 Elite Sump, Vertex 180i Skimmer, 2 X Gen4 Radion XR30W, BM Doser, 2xMP40WES, 2xTunze 6095, Sicce Syncra 4.0.
Stolireef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/02/2017, 10:31 AM   #896
redsuns
Registered Member

Really love the look of your tank. How thick is your tank glass? Its braceless right?

redsuns is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/02/2017, 11:32 AM   #897
ReefKeeper64
Wanna be a reefkeeper

The sand in your tank helps complete that "bring the reef home" theme you have. Nice indeed.

Is your sand easy to maintain?

Does it get blown around in your tank much?

What brand of sand is it?

Thanks,
Chris
Tampa FL

Unread 04/03/2017, 12:01 AM   #898
shih87
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piper27 View Post
Hey, I also dose more than recommended with the aquaforest a b v and e. Have you noticed any changes in your corals since? Which ones do you feel contribute to corals color or growth most?
I keep my nutrients right at 0 but feed very heavily. I can't seem to get the corals to lighten up with their copper sulphate additives, they seem very mild. Do you feel the same way?
I wonder why aqua forest is so strict about their dosing. They always tell users to not overdose. I guess they are afraid of users, who are not to experienced, having issues.
I did experience AF erergy pale my coral color when over dosing it, so... When need over dose, I only overdose Build, Amino, and Vitality, and may add KZ CV instead. I think you are are right about af's strategy, but I always believe for food source, coral density is more important than total water volume, while light should map to tank size.

BTW, I simply ignore af's suggestion of 1:1 dosing ratio for their recipe of KH, Ca, Mg. I think it is a siliy statement to follow since all tanks condition are different.

R二R TOTM Oct 2017
Unread 04/03/2017, 12:08 AM   #899
shih87
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stolireef View Post
Shih:

Most important question. Who is the girl in your CAD drawing and can you get me her telephone number?
Haha, I thought get a girl like that is one of the major motivation having a great tank

R二R TOTM Oct 2017
Unread 04/03/2017, 12:13 AM   #900
shih87
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsuns View Post
Really love the look of your tank. How thick is your tank glass? Its braceless right?
It is 12mm. I tried to go thicker but then worry all my algae cleaners fail so stop at 12mm. Yes, it is a open top, rimless tank with water level at 53 cm in height.
If you check careful from side view, will see glass curve a bit, but really not a big deal.

R二R TOTM Oct 2017