Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/26/2017, 03:14 PM   #10151
OzymandiasXP
Registered Member

New here

Just getting started with my first marine tank. I have a 60g that I'll be setting up over the next few months as a FOWLR tank.

OzymandiasXP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/26/2017, 06:08 PM   #10152
Bugnator
Registered Member

Hello all

Hello I am new to reef tanks, I've had a FOWLR tank for about five years and I'm finding out that I've done a bunch of stuff wrong, before that I had a fresh water tank for about ten years. I've been lurking all month reading and trying to learn as much as possible so I thought I would finally introduce myself. I'm Felix I live in San Antonio Texas, I'm going to be doing a 160 gallon tank I hope I don't regret going so big so fast! There's a lot of great info on here and I'm trying to absorb as much as possible.

Bugnator is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/26/2017, 07:27 PM   #10153
Steve1969
Registered Member

New to the hobby

Hello,

I am brand new to this. I have had a little experience several years ago with a freshwater tank but no experience with saltwater. I have been reading up for a while now and am ready to get started. I have been looking around for tanks and whether to get an all in one system or get everything separate. I am leaning toward the all in one Red Sea max S series. I would like to have a variety of corals in the future with reef safe fish as well. I was wondering if you all had any thoughts about the tank? I appreciate any and all help and advice. Also, my 13 year old daughter is setting out on this adventure with me!!

Thanks!

Steve1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/27/2017, 05:58 PM   #10154
jeffro217
Registered Member

Hello!!

Hi everyone I`m Jeff...Totally new to the hobby...saltwater anyways. But I just wanted to say hello and look forward to getting to know some folks here!! I`m currently running a 28 gallon bio cube with only 5 red legged hermit crabs. Looking forward to learning a bit and stocking up!! Any advice or past experiences are welcome!!

jeffro217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/28/2017, 07:16 AM   #10155
Rev Mike
Registered Member

Hello all. My name is Mike, and I'm returning to the hobby post military retirement. Just inherited a 265g system and joined the group looking for advice to get a great start. I've decided to go with the Triton methodology and I need some help with the refugium size. Any experts with Triton experience would be of great help. Looking forward to the ride.

Rev Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/28/2017, 08:20 AM   #10156
Darthv247
Registered Member

Hello all, i am new to posting in reef central, though i have been in the hobby off and on for 20 years. Started with freshwater before falling in love with the reef side of the hobby. Grew up in MN but moved to south Florida about 10 years ago. Time and funds keep me away at the moment so um living vicariously through all of your adventures. I am a chemistry student right now so i am learning to apply what im learning to the hobby. Wow what a difference a little chemical knowledge makes. Good to be here. My last build was posted on reeffrontiers.com in the past. hopefully i will get the chance to do it again here as well.

Darthv247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/28/2017, 10:41 AM   #10157
eddie2666
Registered Member

Hello all, I am getting back to the hobby after a 20 year hiatus.
This weekend I will be setting up a 54g corner tank as reef tank.
I am looking for advice on wave pumps and controllers

eddie2666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/29/2017, 07:14 AM   #10158
reef cuber
Registered Member

new here

Hello, I'm new to this site. I had a larger reef tank a long time ago - sold that. I had a 130 gal reef tank I kick myself for selling a few yrs ago. I currently have a 60 gal fresh water to maintain my koi/goldfish over winter for their summer pond. I missed the salt water tank and wanted to start again. Hubby got me a bio-cube 32 for my birthday and I have changed the filtering in the back of the tank and started the tank up 6 days ago. I am going to start a journal to get feedback from those of you with experience. I look forward to learning what I can.

reef cuber is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/29/2017, 10:39 PM   #10159
bk.smash
Registered Member

Hello, new here. I'm new to the reefing hobby but I'm super stoked. Had multiple planted tanks over the past few years. First reef tank is gonna be a marineland 3 gallon pico! Bumped up the filtration with some diy and it's been cycling for a week with dead rock from a fellow reefer! May start a blog on it to get feedback and advice. Should I?

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

bk.smash is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/30/2017, 11:22 PM   #10160
fishfrost
Registered Member

Hello! Long time lurker finally posting after getting tons of great info from all of you. Moving on from several FOWLR setups over the years (29, 56 and a brief nano-disaster) to our first 75g reef tank. We got the tank from a friend and are building a stand currently (a la rocketengineer.) Looking forward to being a more active part of the community!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fishfrost is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/31/2017, 04:17 AM   #10161
Celeste Eel
Registered Member

Hello everyone here at Reef Central! I'm Celeste. I'm not new to the hobby. I've had large reef tanks and small ones over the years, and have been lurking on this site for a very long time. I finally decided to join. I hope you're all having a wonderful day!

Celeste Eel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/03/2017, 07:52 AM   #10162
Pond Boy
Registered Member

Hello,

I am back in the hobby after a long break man I have a lot to brush up on..lol Back when I had my 130g reef things where all just evolving as far as reef keeping goes,

Anyhoo just wanted to say hi and thanks for this great resource...

Pond Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/04/2017, 12:55 PM   #10163
ReefEC
Registered Member

Smile

Hello All,
Finally decided to register as a member after lurking for months. I grew up with fish tanks and recently got my very own reef tank over the summer and you guys have helped answer all my questions. So thanks for that! I look forward to being even more active on here!

ReefEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/05/2017, 06:07 AM   #10164
wmdickson
Registered Member

Hello from a new old aquarist

Hi folks. I'm new here, just beginning what I suspect will be a long bout of research before I build and set up a tank. I was an avid aquarist (saltwater, mostly fish but a few soft corals and invertebrates) in the 70s and 80s. Then I went to grad school, got married, had kids, got a job, etc., etc..

So now I'm trying to catch up on 30 years of development in the hobby before I jump back in. This site, and especially the forums, have provided excellent reading so far. Thanks.

wmdickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/05/2017, 12:56 PM   #10165
A777flygirl
Registered Member

Red face New to reef tank

Hello, my name is Karen and I am new to Reef Central and just starting to set up a reef tank. I had several freshwater tanks many years ago but want to try a reef tank. I have a 90 gal AquaVim 3/4 tank ordered and trying to learn and get everything else I will need to be successful. I very much appreciate the forums and information here. All advice is greatly appreciated and I am not offended at all if anyone wants to set this Newby straight. Thank you for letting me join!

A777flygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/05/2017, 05:21 PM   #10166
Trevormclay
Registered Member

Hi everyone, newish to the hobby and just Purchased a Nuvo 20 gallon and my brother provided me his set up Nuvo 10. However i will be breaking down the Nuvo 10 shortly until i have more space for 2 tanks. Spent months researching everything before purchase, currently have some corals and clown fish inherited from the Nuvo 10. Looking forward to see everyones beautiful tanks!

Trevormclay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/08/2017, 05:56 AM   #10167
jasenclaireevo
Registered Member

afternoon all, my self and hubby have just purchased a new tank ready for our new adventure into the marine world.

jasenclaireevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/08/2017, 10:26 AM   #10168
Jesusaves73
Registered Member

Hello everyone, I'm new to the hobby and very excited to start my SW tank. I just picked up a 110gal and I'm ignorant to many things about it. So I hope you guys in RC can guide me to healthy set up. Thanks in advance.

Jesusaves73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/08/2017, 06:15 PM   #10169
cowguurl
Registered Member

Hi team,
I'm Ingrid. I have been fish keeping for 20+ years, however have only just started with Marine/reef. Always wanted to, but couldn't commit to the requirements. Now I'm old and wise I have just set up a 60lt nano which I am in the process of cycling.
Open to any advice!

Cheers!

cowguurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/09/2017, 09:24 AM   #10170
Dimitrios555
Registered Member

Hi everyone! I am new to the hobby with a 23 gallon reef nano (has a 10 gallon sump though). I'm about 3 months in and I have a professional company doing most of my stuff but I want to slowly take over and learn the hobby and manage the tank....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dimitrios555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/10/2017, 09:27 PM   #10171
cassini75
Registered Member

I'm fairly new, started a 26 gallon tank back in november and in february i upgraded to a used red sea max 250, its been interesting ride but i like it allot better than freshwater now

cassini75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/11/2017, 08:43 PM   #10172
Ms.Jennie
Registered Member

1st sw tank - ahhhhhhhhhhhh!!!

Hello! I've had freshwater tanks forever, my kids have a 13 gal tank full of glofish (which I don't care for) and I started a reef tank about 3 months ago. At this point I have all of the live rock and livestock I'm going to get, may add corals in a month or two. So, I have:
Tiger jawfish, coral angel, green clown goby, yellow watchman goby, royal gramma and 2 clown fish. So, everyone but the clown fish lives in a cave!!! I prepped the tank with lots of rock with nooks and crannies and made a racetrack or sorts for the angel. I see her swooshing by but that's it. I've got all these fish and the tank looks empty. 🤣 They are all healthy and happy, so that's what counts.

Ms.Jennie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/12/2017, 03:24 AM   #10173
Sharkbite73
Registered Member

Hi
I'm very new to this, in fact still at the tank deliberation stage. So far the Aqua One Marine 180 is winning due to budget. I'm edging toward a Coral / fish community, so any advice on links to compatible species would be appreciated.

Many thanks

Nick

Sharkbite73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/12/2017, 04:26 AM   #10174
WaltCisneros
Registered Member

Hi from Nowra NSW Australia

Have a million questions

Want to make a beanimal build

Want to take up the challenge

What do you guys think?

WaltCisneros is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/12/2017, 01:43 PM   #10175
joyluvsrod2013
Registered Member

I bought a 32g biocube from a store that was already established. they set up my tank at home handed me my kits said self explanatory (HAHA). Few days later i brought home Shelley she died a month later. My nitrates and nitrites where always high then went down my PH did 5g water changes weekly with no change add purchem no change added a chocolate chip star fish no change so frustrating. Was told to add B supplement then Shelley died( i think by what i read was trying to molt i will admit i kept looking at her in her den with a flashlight(did i kill her by being nosey????). Few days ago i did a 10 gallon water change FINALLY not nitrites but now Alk is high so reduced B in half hope this helps. Want to get another mantis but want my tank right first. any advice would be great!!!!thank you

joyluvsrod2013 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brain coral, new member, sick coral