Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/30/2017, 06:03 AM   #1
cdemaria87
Registered Member

Acrylic help

One step forward 2 steps back. I am working on sanding out the scratches on an old acrylic tank I made several years ago. I noticed when I was spraying one corner with the water bottle the water was getting in between the 2 pieces of acrylic. I decided to check the other corner and it is pretty much entirely detached now. I used #4 when I put this together several years ago and it held water for about 3 years without a problem so I do not know what happened.

I was thinking of setting it on its corner and coating it with #4 and clamping it and then running a bead of #40 on the side of it. Will this work or is this tank toast? I don't want to finish refinishing the entire thing only to find out it wont hold water.

Thanks

cdemaria87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/30/2017, 08:14 PM   #2
cdemaria87
Registered Member

Any thoughts?

Unread 03/30/2017, 09:30 PM   #3
thegrun
Registered Member

I would certainly give it a try, but be sure to test it outside before bringing it inside to set up. How big is the tank?

thegrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/30/2017, 10:02 PM   #4
cdemaria87
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegrun View Post
I would certainly give it a try, but be sure to test it outside before bringing it inside to set up. How big is the tank?
48"l x 36"w x 18"h

Its already inside... I have it in the basement and it isn't really easy to get back out so.......... not a huge deal if it leaks some as the basement is unfinished but hope not to have to clean up the mess... Just wanted to know people's thoughts as I think I should finish the sanding (using a palm sander) before I redo the joints but this is going to take several hours and don't want to waste the time if this isn't going to work... thank you for your thoughts. I was leaning the same way so I guess I will give it a shot....

Unread 03/30/2017, 10:36 PM   #5
JUNBUG361
Registered Member

Good luck on the experiment/trial

JUNBUG361 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/31/2017, 12:51 PM   #6
Synden
Registered Member

I would certainly try that first, but I would be prepared to do a bigger patch with some sheets of acrylic to sandwich around the problem spot.
If that doesnt work, you pretty much SOL though. GL

Synden is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/31/2017, 02:19 PM   #7
albano
SALTWATER since '73

Not an acrylic expert, but if it were mine I'd reseal it and I'd add 3/4" triangular pieces in each inside corner seam (4 side to side, 4 sides to bottom and 4 sides to top)

Jan. '11 TOTM Manhattan Reefs

Current Tank Info: 500g & 200g acrylic DTs/2 separate reef systems
albano is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/02/2017, 11:06 AM   #8
cdemaria87
Registered Member

I will definitely do the triangular pieces if I can get them.

Some progress of the sanding.

Sent from my SM-N900R4 using Tapatalk

Unread 04/02/2017, 12:23 PM   #9
JUNBUG361
Registered Member

Coming along good

JUNBUG361 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/07/2017, 05:27 PM   #10
cdemaria87
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by albano View Post
Not an acrylic expert, but if it were mine I'd reseal it and I'd add 3/4" triangular pieces in each inside corner seam (4 side to side, 4 sides to bottom and 4 sides to top)
Well I finished the sanding and it looks a lot better. Not perfect but better...

So I looked into the triangular pieces and they are fairly expensive and I believe when I built this tank originally I went over the joints with weld-on 16 (I know now that you are not supposed to do that) so there is a small bump along the corners that will not allow a piece to lay flat. After a lot of reading I am concerned that trying to reseal the corners with weld on 3 or 4 may not make a great seal. I thought that I could use a couple of scrap pieces about 3 or 4" long to reinforce the corners and put some #4 on the old joints. I think this will be structurally sound but question if it will be water tight.

Could I put something else in the corners to ensure that it is water tight?

Thinking something like acetone, MEK, weld-on 4... mixed with acrylic shavings then pouring it in the corner about half inch deep. Would this be similar to putting the triangular pieces in the corners? Also thought about using PVC cement and doing the same thing (again, solely for water tightness not structural).

I am guessing none of this will be too aesthetically pleasing but at this point I want to save this tank and not too worried about how good the corners look.

Any thoughts?

Unread 04/09/2017, 07:58 AM   #11
cdemaria87
Registered Member

Bump

Sent from my SM-N900R4 using Tapatalk