Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/30/2017, 03:17 PM   #1
CrayolaViolence
Registered Member

Hard Scape supplies

I've noticed that in freshwater there are supply sources for hard scaping material. I am looking for some type of mat to put down in the bottom of my tank. I've used flat PVC mat from home depot or lowes in the past but I was hoping for something thicker that I could layer and create raised areas. I've seen on other forums where people have utilized yoga mats instead of buying expensive "aquarium" matting. They claim that some types of mats are the same material.
Now I know there are people here who are into freshwater aquascaping and I was hoping that some of you (or even saltwater people) may be able to direct me to an affordable alternative in the matting. I have found several on Ebay but I am unsure of the material. Mostly I have been looking up PVC mat and getting hits.

Anyhow, if there is anyone out there who knows what I can use, I would really appreciate the help. I am wanting something solid so not to trap air bubbles or make voids which is why I am trying not to use egg crate.

Thank you.

Current Tank Info: 90 gallon reef tank
CrayolaViolence is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/30/2017, 03:25 PM   #2
karimwassef
Registered Member

Do you have a picture of what you're trying to do?
I made caves and ledges from concrete cloth and PVC pipe.

Failure isn't an option It's a requirement. 660g 380inwall+280smp/surge S/L/Soft/Maxima/RBTA/Clown/Chromis/Anthias/Tang/Mandarin/Jawfish/Goby/Wrasse/D'back. DIY 12' Skimmer ActuatedSurge ConcreteScape
karimwassef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/30/2017, 03:28 PM   #3
CrayolaViolence
Registered Member

No I don't have a photo sorry. I'm more of a figure it out as I go. I only have a rough idea.

Unread 03/30/2017, 06:26 PM   #4
slojim
Registered Member

I asked a similar question a few months ago - one suggestion was tile. So I went to the store, bought 6 clearance tiles in a mottled white for about $3 total, cut them on a manual snap cutter I had from some tiling I did in my last house, and set them in place. Then I ran a bead of silicone across the seams and perimeter. I siliconed them in place so they wouldn't push up against the aquarium bead, and so sand couldn't work under and push them up, but I doubt it was necessary. The tile cutter I used sells for $20, and does a nice job.
I would think you could stack some cut tile pieces if you want some height. You could cover them in silicone and sprinkle on sand, or use spray foam to add texture. A number of folks on the forum have built backgrounds with foam.

slojim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/30/2017, 08:06 PM   #5
karimwassef
Registered Member

here are some of the structures I've made with clothcrete

Failure isn't an option It's a requirement. 660g 380inwall+280smp/surge S/L/Soft/Maxima/RBTA/Clown/Chromis/Anthias/Tang/Mandarin/Jawfish/Goby/Wrasse/D'back. DIY 12' Skimmer ActuatedSurge ConcreteScape

Last edited by karimwassef; 03/30/2017 at 08:12 PM.
Unread 03/31/2017, 01:33 AM   #6
CrayolaViolence
Registered Member

Thank's kasimwassef. I'm looking more to raise the ground where the sand will go. Looking at fresh water builds and seeing how they have a lot of hills and valleys in their tanks, I would like to try something similar. Not exact, just similar.

Unread 03/31/2017, 06:52 AM   #7
karimwassef
Registered Member

Ok. My point is that if you use cloth and cover it with concrete, you can make any shape you can imagine. You can even make a shape in a wet sandbox of any terrain you want and then use clothcrete to capture it

Unread 03/31/2017, 06:56 AM   #8
karimwassef
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by karimwassef View Post
self supporting:

photo 2_zps05623693.jpg

photo 3_zps015c15d5.jpg

and submerged:

photo 15_zps3160ab2b.jpg

photo 14_zpsbb19ac74.jpg

Unread 03/31/2017, 07:00 AM   #9
karimwassef
Registered Member

You can also fold the clothcrete back on itself to make caves or other complex 3D shapes

Unread 03/31/2017, 02:04 PM   #10
CrayolaViolence
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by karimwassef View Post
You can also fold the clothcrete back on itself to make caves or other complex 3D shapes
How did it affect your PH and if it did, how long did it take to normalize?

Unread 03/31/2017, 02:04 PM   #11
CrayolaViolence
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slojim View Post
I asked a similar question a few months ago - one suggestion was tile. So I went to the store, bought 6 clearance tiles in a mottled white for about $3 total, cut them on a manual snap cutter I had from some tiling I did in my last house, and set them in place. Then I ran a bead of silicone across the seams and perimeter. I siliconed them in place so they wouldn't push up against the aquarium bead, and so sand couldn't work under and push them up, but I doubt it was necessary. The tile cutter I used sells for $20, and does a nice job.
I would think you could stack some cut tile pieces if you want some height. You could cover them in silicone and sprinkle on sand, or use spray foam to add texture. A number of folks on the forum have built backgrounds with foam.
I missed this earlier. Thank you. Yes, I'm actually looking into this as an option.

Unread 03/31/2017, 02:23 PM   #12
karimwassef
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrayolaViolence View Post
How did it affect your PH and if it did, how long did it take to normalize?
I had a LOT of rock but I also had an oversize skimmer. In a few hours, the skimmer brought the pH down to 8. No idea on alkalinity and calcium though.

It probably continued to cure for a couple of weeks though.

Unread 04/01/2017, 06:17 AM   #13
A sea K
Registered Member

If I remember correctly it seemed that the barebottom crowd would use a product called starboard, it is a plastic polymer of some sort and can be purchased in thicknesses up to at least 1". Pretty sure it is used in the marine/boating industry.

Current Tank Info: 30gal Deep Blue rimless 9/10/2014, 80gal Deep Blue rimless 40gal sump/refugium 9/11/16 LPS reef, 2 x Kessil A160 with a single Maxspect Razor, RO Prime 150INT skimmer, Sicce 3 return pump, Vortech MP40 and MP10
A sea K is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/05/2017, 01:59 PM   #14
slojim
Registered Member

I had never heard of clothcrete. Google tells me that's a trade name for a company that didn't make it, but there are plenty of options under concrete cloth. Dang, that's all I need - one more thing to do before I add water. I'm going to try to resist, because it looks pretty cool but I've taken too long already.

slojim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/05/2017, 05:55 PM   #15
karimwassef
Registered Member

I coined the phrase clothcrete on this site.. I just made it up... didn't know there was something else called that.

I have a thread on it.