Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/29/2017, 11:12 PM   #1876
bereleah
Registered Member

So i got my 50gal today, i'm very excited, the stand looks ok. However, upon setting up the tank and putting it on the stand I noticed at leat 10 small tiny chips only on the front glass panel on top, the sides don't have it at all they are smooth throughout, now is that normal? Please let me know.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_9415.jpg (30.8 KB, 61 views)
File Type: jpg FullSizeRender.jpg (36.2 KB, 72 views)
File Type: jpg FullSizeRender (1).jpg (21.6 KB, 63 views)
bereleah is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/30/2017, 12:06 AM   #1877
theMerchant
Registered Member

I personally like the sca sump, but if you are going to use another brand, make sure it can handle your water volume in case of a power outage or pump failure.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

Current Tank Info: 150g SCA
theMerchant is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/30/2017, 12:08 AM   #1878
theMerchant
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bereleah View Post
So i got my 50gal today, i'm very excited, the stand looks ok. However, upon setting up the tank and putting it on the stand I noticed at leat 10 small tiny chips only on the front glass panel on top, the sides don't have it at all they are smooth throughout, now is that normal? Please let me know.
Not normal to have chips. But dont look detrimental.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

Current Tank Info: 150g SCA
theMerchant is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/30/2017, 07:13 AM   #1879
z3speed4me
Registered Member

Detrimental, no... but that wouldn't make me happy though on the FRONT glass that you look at all the time.

z3speed4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/30/2017, 07:20 AM   #1880
bereleah
Registered Member

So SCA says it's definitely not normal to have these chips after factory inspection. And they are offering me two options, 1) a discount on the order 2) they ship me a replacment tank.

What would u do?

Unread 03/30/2017, 07:27 AM   #1881
soulpatch
Registered Member

that is a choice you need to make. Personally the tank is the cheapest part of any build so I would go for a replacement since I would look at those defects all the time and it would bug me. A discount is nice and all but in the grand scheme of things a hundred bucks or so isn't even a dent for what we spend on our tanks...

Some have bar tabs. I have a coral tab at my LFS. Life goals.
soulpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/30/2017, 07:32 AM   #1882
RogueGrown
Registered Member

Quote:
So SCA says it's definitely not normal to have these chips after factory inspection. And they are offering me two options, 1) a discount on the order 2) they ship me a replacment tank.

What would u do?
Tank replacement myself, after all you plan on putting this thing up and looking at it for a very long time... discount would be nice but after all its not something that will or should eventually be chipped. I recently bought a brand new car and found a couple chips in the front cover upon delivery (it had to be ordered in). I gave the dealer two options repaint it or give me a discount. They gave me $600 in accessories for the car, point being, the cover will get chips eventually the tank should not.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

RogueGrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/30/2017, 08:22 AM   #1883
pfan151
Registered Member

Are the chips on the outer edge or the inner edge?

pfan151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/30/2017, 08:54 AM   #1884
CafeReef
Registered Member

With how quickly Steve can get a tank to you, I would go with replacement over discount. If it was a single chip I could deal, but multiple, I wouldn't.

Unread 03/30/2017, 10:58 AM   #1885
bereleah
Registered Member

The photos I posted are very close up photos, these chips are very tiny micro chips it's not noticeable when you look at it from a distance, even like 2 feet away, at the end of the day ITS THERE and I noticed it, soooooo........

I'm so undecided at this point.

Unread 03/30/2017, 11:12 AM   #1886
bereleah
Registered Member

Here are some pics from a distance. And yes the chips are on the front side.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_9417.jpg (21.1 KB, 63 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9416.jpg (21.0 KB, 58 views)
Unread 03/30/2017, 11:15 AM   #1887
soulpatch
Registered Member

Just note that water and lighting will typically make those more visible. So while small they will become ever so slightly more visible as the tank comes online. If you were using a canopy then I wouldn't worry about it.

Unread 03/30/2017, 11:27 AM   #1888
bereleah
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulpatch View Post
Just note that water and lighting will typically make those more visible. So while small they will become ever so slightly more visible as the tank comes online. If you were using a canopy then I wouldn't worry about it.
Thanks, thats what i thought.

Unread 03/30/2017, 12:04 PM   #1889
bereleah
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfan151 View Post
Are the chips on the outer edge or the inner edge?
Its on the outer edge.

Unread 03/30/2017, 03:53 PM   #1890
crazycolt42
Registered Member

Lifting my 150 onto the stand

Hey everyone!
I purchased the SCA 150g this past December when it was on sale for 777.00. I have made my own stand and canopy. The tank has been resting on the floor since delivery. My wife and I were able to get it inside on a couple of rollers and then scooted it onto some 3/4 inch plywood. I don't have a lot of lifting help around, and am wondering what any of you had to do when lifting this particular tank. My wife and I were able to handle my old marineland 60x18x24, but that was not nearly as thick of glass, and this sucker seems stout. Any suggestions on what I can use and how many people I need? I'm ready to start plumbing it! Thank You! I have been enjoying this thread. Can't wait to start posting mine, but going slow right now.

crazycolt42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/30/2017, 05:05 PM   #1891
pfan151
Registered Member

Quote:
Its on the outer edge.
I'd at least see what his offer is. I'd bet you get a very significant discount so they can avoid the expense of shipping a new tank.

Maybe you could check with a glass shop to see if they could sand them out

Unread 03/30/2017, 05:20 PM   #1892
bereleah
Registered Member

Quote:
I'd at least see what his offer is. I'd bet you get a very significant discount so they can avoid the expense of shipping a new tank.

Maybe you could check with a glass shop to see if they could sand them out
He's shipping me a new tank today, I made my decision based on what you guys where telling me that it will Allways bug me if its on the front side plus it's not like it will get chipped later on, a quality Starfire glass tank shouldn't come with any chips and should never under normal circumstances get chipped in the future so if I'm spending all this money why settle for a chipped tank.

Steve at SCA was very helpful he told me that he called the factory right away to make sure that it's not their equipment, he confirmed that it's not, he told me that it probebly happened when the workers were packing the sump into the box and nicked that tank with the sump.

Unread 03/30/2017, 05:34 PM   #1893
soulpatch
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazycolt42 View Post
Hey everyone!
I purchased the SCA 150g this past December when it was on sale for 777.00. I have made my own stand and canopy. The tank has been resting on the floor since delivery. My wife and I were able to get it inside on a couple of rollers and then scooted it onto some 3/4 inch plywood. I don't have a lot of lifting help around, and am wondering what any of you had to do when lifting this particular tank. My wife and I were able to handle my old marineland 60x18x24, but that was not nearly as thick of glass, and this sucker seems stout. Any suggestions on what I can use and how many people I need? I'm ready to start plumbing it! Thank You! I have been enjoying this thread. Can't wait to start posting mine, but going slow right now.
Rent or buy suction cups. Makes a ton of difference. I did it with 2 other guys to get it down my stairs but only two of us were needed to get onto stand.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Unread 03/30/2017, 09:11 PM   #1894
bereleah
Registered Member

Hoping you guys can help me out here, it's my first time setting up a sump.

I know the middle in the return, what's the other 2?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (40.3 KB, 40 views)
Unread 03/30/2017, 09:12 PM   #1895
bereleah
Registered Member

Sorry this is the right pic.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (41.4 KB, 33 views)
Unread 03/30/2017, 09:16 PM   #1896
bereleah
Registered Member

Also what should I replace of what came in the stock 50gal PNP?

Unread 03/30/2017, 09:39 PM   #1897
pfan151
Registered Member

Quote:
Rent or buy suction cups. Makes a ton of difference. I did it with 2 other guys to get it down my stairs but only two of us were needed to get onto stand.

Wish I did that with my 90g Rimless. I slid it in the room when it was still in the box but lifting it on the stand with only me and my wife was near impossible. It was really stupid that I didn't wait for more help or get suction cups. It was definitely a sketchy lift and then I also had to hear the wife complain about her back for a few days.

Unread 03/30/2017, 09:41 PM   #1898
pfan151
Registered Member

Quote:
Sorry this is the right pic.
Do a search for the herbie overflow system. You will be very happy you went with that system.

Unread 03/30/2017, 10:35 PM   #1899
crazycolt42
Registered Member

Quote:

Thanks! That's good to know. I saw those for rent on custom aquariums site and wondered if that would be the way to go. I'll start looking around locally to see if I can buy/rent some. Might be worth it to buy them because there is a good chance I'll have to move it off again before filling it. Part of the deal to have a reef tank was to get new floors installed first, so I am going to have to move it again before I fill it. I'm thinking I can go ahead and do the plumbing while I am waiting to get the floors done. I better make sure it is leak proof because we are going with a wood laminate.

Unread 03/30/2017, 10:37 PM   #1900
crazycolt42
Registered Member

Quote:
Wish I did that with my 90g Rimless. I slid it in the room when it was still in the box but lifting it on the stand with only me and my wife was near impossible. It was really stupid that I didn't wait for more help or get suction cups. It was definitely a sketchy lift and then I also had to hear the wife complain about her back for a few days.
That reminds me of my wife and I lifting my 60x18x24. It was not easy. I want to make sure I do it right this time and no back injuries!